Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different Suspension On Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:05 PM
bluebagger06
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Different Suspension On Street Glide

i installed progressive 440's last week,what a difference.well worth the money in my oppinon..

Old 07-30-2007, 03:51 PM
07SG
Cruiser

No, the SG front end isn't lowered.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 PM
sanaga
Road Captain

yes the SG front not lowered and same with EG stock height...only rear of SG lowered....

Old 07-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Those SG shocks are back breakers! I ordered a pair of 13" Progressive shocks. They are being installed tomorrow.At one time I had a pair of 13" air shocks that were removed from an Ultra. I bought them on Ebay for $50. What a great ride but I was having trouble with a wobble and thought those shocks may have been defective so I re-installed the original SG shocks. It proved not to be the shocks. Instead of putting the Ultra shocks back on I decided to upgrade to the Progressive's. I'll give a report after a few miles of riding.
Incidently, the 13" air shocks from the Ultra are available if anyone is interested.

Frank

Old 07-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Street runner I am interested in your 13 air inch shocks, shoot me a PM with a price. thanks

Old 07-31-2007, 07:31 AM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some great advice here, thanks to all! I plan on doing something this fall when I have a little time. I'll report my findings at that time.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:16 AM
bluebagger06
Tourer

thats the first thing i noticed after installing 440's,was how the rear seemed planted to the road,no wobble at all.but now i feel how much the front end feels loose.going to install progressive springs in frontsoon.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:13 AM
LOU
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: solorider

Thinking about doing something different on the rear of my SG in an effort to smooth out the ride and add some more suspension travel. Has anybody done this?
Do a search on "Progressive 440" and you'll find lots of info. Basically, here are some options:

1. 13" (standard) FLH shocks. Will improve ride but raise the rear.

2. 13" shocks with 1" lowering kit (e.g., Burly Brand). Other kits on Ebay, most claiming no decrease in suspension travel and the price is right (~$100). I had White Bros. (now Burly Brand) on my '96 RK and never had a problem. Ride was as good as stock.

3. Progressive 440 or Works Performance shocks. Even 12" will help, but 12½" is a good compromise. I installed the 12½ 440's on my SG and like the results, but make sure you get the right spring rate for your body and cargo weight (standard or heavy-duty). Best to call Progressive for a recommendation.

4. Various aftermarket air-suspension shocks. I have no experience with these, but they are all expensive.

Incredible timing again Iclick and great advice. After spending the weekend in the Sierra with a few Buddies (CBX club) and agressively riding highway 4, 88, 89and highway 49. I found myself wanting to go sportier and longer on the suspension. These are all greatideas. My question: has anyone used Works or Ohlins shocks and fork springs? Worth it or just go with Progressive shocks on the rear?

Old 07-31-2007, 10:14 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

ORIGINAL: solorider

No need to flame me for being a wuss (), I bought the SG for the nakedness of the bike
You're just a wuss, suck it up. Even girls can do it..

With as many people as want lower dressers, you should be able to trade your shocks for some standard ones and not have any expense at all.

Bill

Old 07-31-2007, 10:29 AM
GrandpaSpike
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Progressive 440's.

Quick Reply: Different Suspension On Street Glide