Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Radio

I'm getting ready to finally order a fairing for my '05 RKC. I'm getting one that has the space for a radio and 6.5" speaker but I will need to supply them. I spoke with Pez at Hogtunes but they don't make the size speaker I need. Only the ones for direct replacement of the stock speakers. As per his recommendation I will be getting the JBL Marine series speakers. However this leaves me with the stereo decision.

Can anyone recommend a weatherproof (marine) stereo the has CD / CDR / CDRW and MP3 capabilities that I won't have to worry about skipping while cruising down the road? I have done some online research and they seem to be very limited. One fairing I have looked at comes with an Eclipse CD5415 stereo but does not have the anti-skip feature nor is it a marine model. As per their response to an email I sent: "We use the Eclipse because they were the only ones that did not skip in the CD mode."

I also spoke with the manufacturer of the fairing I'm looking at in regards to the weather protection and here is his response to the question I posed:

"Is there any kind of weather protection that surrounds the radio behind the inner fairing?"

"No, there isn’t, but there is a ¾” wide by 1/16 thick foam seal between the outer fairing shell and the windshield and a rubber edge seal along the edge of the inner fairing where it meets the outer. With the moisture/humidity that any motorcycle mounted stereo will encounter we recommend stereos designed for the marine environment, which typically have coated circuit boards and are sealed on the top and sides to protect from dripping. Soon we will offer a stereo option with our fairings, which will utilize the Sony CDX-R30M marine receiver. It is the unit we recommend for this application. There is also a water barrier in the area under the stereo which is made of sheet plastic and covers the area below the stereo and between the inner and outer fairing."

I'm just looking for any other input I can get.

Brian