Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this cool the 07?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007 | 09:24 PM
teach
|
Cruiser
Default Will this cool the 07?

Was on a trip with my son down south this past week and the 96 motor gets really hot between the ole legs at the crossover if you're stopped for even a short period of time. Much hotter than my 88 ever got.
So has anyone put on true dual headers and did they help with the heat issue?
I'm not planning to change anything as far as motor or slip-ons for this bike, its gonna be purely a road bike, but wonder if eliminating that crossover would ease the heat issue. Any input is appreciated..... T

Old 07-29-2007 | 09:25 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Default RE: Will this cool the 07?

It does help, but, not a great deal, imho.

Old 07-29-2007 | 10:02 PM
robbinson
Advanced

I've been reading about these heat issues with interest, as i've been seriously considering purchasing an '08 road king. I know many on this board have dismissed the "heat issue" as just part of the bike, but then many veterin riders on this Board have posted that they have to shut down their '07sin traffic because the heat is so intense. If that is true, this really is a design flaw. Sounds like there are some work arounds for the'07 (stage 1, new pipes, SERT or PC,after market heat shields,etc - most not yet available for the '08) but they have had mixed success.No bike should have to shut down during normal operation. I've started seriously thinking about about buying a low milage 2003-2006 Road King to avoid the issue associated with the '07 and I suspect the '08 as there is no inidication that HD made any mods to the engine that would cool it down on the '08. At a minimum (since I'm attracted to the ABS feature on the '08), I plan to delay purchasing an '08 until I take a nice long test ride (or rent the bike for a day) to see how hot it gets for myself. My sportster doesn't get hot at all (but then its engine is an 883).

Regards

Old 07-29-2007 | 10:20 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

I took the simple step approach to heat onmy bone stock 07.

Synth. oil>oil cooler>HD heat mng.download>fully open lower vents at 60 to 75 degrees>take off

lowers for summer season(>75)>btw breakin also helped.

I had some heat issues but have stayed a step ahead so far. last august I slid back on seat at a stop sighn,,,this july stop and go traffic includeing 10 to 15 minute jams from one end of phili to the other,no problem at all.

Old 07-29-2007 | 10:37 PM
Time2ride
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: voodoodrug

I took the simple step approach to heat onmy bone stock 07.

Synth. oil>oil cooler>HD heat mng.download>fully open lower vents at 60 to 75 degrees>take off

lowers for summer season(>75)>btw breakin also helped.

I had some heat issues but have stayed a step ahead so far. last august I slid back on seat at a stop sighn,,,this july stop and go traffic includeing 10 to 15 minute jams from one end of phili to the other,no problem at all.
voodoodrug, solutions aren't popular here. What you're supposed to do is jump on the07 harleys are ****, boycott the MOCO bandwagon.
The only time I had issues withexcessive heat is when I was running the wrong combination of pipes and air cleaner. Called Rush, they provided the solution w/o having to spend $$$ on a fuel management system.

Old 07-29-2007 | 11:08 PM
Harleynole
Tourer

TD's and a SERT solved the problem for me. No more heat.

Old 07-29-2007 | 11:09 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Harleynole

TD's and a SERT solved the problem for me. No more heat.
But did it mess with performance?

Old 07-29-2007 | 11:13 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

i richened up the AFR with a SERT, Synthetic oil, and added some RJS deflectors and I have fixed the heat issue on my '07 UC. Even with the lowers still on, it runs well, doesn't ever shut-off, and ain't getting fried while waiting for the light to change.

Old 07-29-2007 | 11:32 PM
teach
|
Cruiser

Time2ride, actually I believe I started this post to ask about solutions to the heat issue. I also believe I said my 88 did the same just not as intense as the 96.
I don't believe I started this as a bash the 07's or lets gripe about the MOCO. What I did was ASK a question as to whether anyone has had success reducing the heat with TD's.
So I suppose if you have something POSITIVE to contribute, a suggestion that might help, I'd enjoy hearing it. If your sole contribution is barking about HD bashing, maybe another post would be preferable for you? I frankly don't have ANY issues with my 07 and/or MOCO, but I don't like getting my nads scorched, hence the question. Ride safe....... T

ps... running synthetic, but haven't richened her up.

Old 07-29-2007 | 11:40 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

i found that true duals did help, i also did the whole stage 1 and i don't have any heat problems. got some rjsoriginals that i haven't put on yet, but thats just cause its hot in louisiana and every bit helps.

1 question that i do have though is your statement 'many veterin riders on this Board have posted that they have to shut down their '07sin traffic because the heat is so intense' i have read many threads about the heat issue and have not actually seen any on this board that said that. now i have read it on some harley bashing web sites....

Quick Reply: Will this cool the 07?