Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this cool the 07?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:32 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Will this cool the 07?

Anybody else here familiar with the nightrider site? They have a lot of information on heat management.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...erformance.htm

Old 08-01-2007 | 09:33 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

A follow-up, for what it's worth.

I was at the (my) dealer's yesterday. Got a chance to really look over some of the bikes (in visual terms am very glad I got an '07 RKC; the '08 ain't got the same charm [but you can tell they're sisters ]). An '07 Ultra-Classic going out the door had mufflers with internals (evidently, by the outlets) configured as I described above. The left and right were different from each other. An '07 Road Glide did too, and not having verified it, I'd be willing to bet the mufflers are even the very same part numbers as those on the '07 Road King Classic which I've had opportunity to closely inspect from both ends each.

Old 08-01-2007 | 11:02 AM
buckweet
Road Captain

dang.....im having the same problem with my 03' ultra... the heat is horrible....i have made a major misstake. should NOT have sold my 1800 goldwing.
i like my harley, but the heat and low motor power. im sorry i sold my goldwing. i am going to try and work through this, and make the harley work somehow, my harley fits me much better, but the heat is so bad... my wifes legg looks red after every short ride... she complains about it alot, so i need to do something soon !! she even wants me to trade back to a wing, if i caint fix this one. i gotta come up with a fix quick !!!

weet

Old 08-01-2007 | 12:06 PM
cwoodall
Advanced

I wear asbestos boxer shorts..........................oh, and sunglasses!

Old 08-01-2007 | 12:18 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned

pipes help...fuel & timing are the solution

Old 08-01-2007 | 12:31 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM
...fuel & timing are the solution
Make this a sticky! Fuel and timing help with a whole lot of the other complaints too.......if only the masses would grasp the concept.........sigh.[>:] You can lead a horse to water......

Old 08-01-2007 | 12:49 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned

me & you been here awhile, we've seen new guys with questions, it dont bother me cause at one time i didnt know neither....as long as they dont ask how to wave

Old 08-01-2007 | 01:25 PM
ScooterJammer
Cruiser

Yup, I'll hop on the fuel/timing bandwagon. I was really concerned about the heat issue with my '04 Twinkie, my '93 Evo never ran that hot. So, after lurking around here for awhile, I made my decision to upgrade my OEM exhaust systemto RB Racing LSR 2-1 exhaust, change all the fluids to synthetic, and have the bike put through it's paces agian on the Dyno and fatten the fuel fuel mix. The difference in temperature is astounding! Here we are in the middle of summer in FLA and I don't feel Bar-B-Q'd when I sit at a light for any length of time.

Old 08-01-2007 | 02:28 PM
sheldong
Intermediate

I'm running the TD rineharts/big sucker2/thunderMax w/AutoTune and wide band sensors,jagg 10 row oil cooler and amsoil. Bike runs much cooler than stock did, however, it still gets hots. I got access to the head temp thru my Tmax speedo and on the road I cruise 240-250'C, but stuck in traffic I 270'C freq'ly. If I stopped for construction delays I shut down as a prev member mentioned.

I have the BB 103 with the tw6-6 cams- bike is strong haven't dyno'd yet, but it still runs hotter than I would of expected. I have a oil temp sensor on order, but right now the only temp I see is the front cycle head temp. When I was running stock the bike ran way to hot, I believe it truely is a dsesign problem. The bike should be able to be used w/o overheating even with the EPA constraints, JMHO.

-sheldon

Old 08-01-2007 | 03:07 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I have the same with my 03 Ultra. Coming back from Canada last year. At the border my bike got so hot it kept moving even though I had the clutch pulled in all the way. My thighs were on fire. I eventually pulled over to the side, but couldn't get it in neutral so just shut off switch. I checked the digital dipstick ----300 degrees. Half hour later I was back on the road. When I got home --- changed all the fluids. I do have the Kuyriakan(?) heat shields now and they seem to be the best per price fix.
I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars just to make the bike operate like it should. I will just try to stay away from situations that will cause this discomfort.

I read on this or another forum from a supposedly employee of H-D that the twin cam engine was originally designed with an oil cooler, but someone (Willie G) told them not to put it on because then people would know there was a heat problem. This is probably just an urban legend. I hope.
I still love my Ultra and wouldnt think of a Gold Wing(Winnibago).

Quick Reply: Will this cool the 07?