Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this cool the 07?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007 | 02:04 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Default RE: Will this cool the 07?

ORIGINAL: teach

Time2ride, actually I believe I started this post to ask about solutions to the heat issue. I also believe I said my 88 did the same just not as intense as the 96.
I don't believe I started this as a bash the 07's or lets gripe about the MOCO. What I did was ASK a question as to whether anyone has had success reducing the heat with TD's.
So I suppose if you have something POSITIVE to contribute, a suggestion that might help, I'd enjoy hearing it. If your sole contribution is barking about HD bashing, maybe another post would be preferable for you? I frankly don't have ANY issues with my 07 and/or MOCO, but I don't like getting my nads scorched, hence the question. Ride safe....... T

ps... running synthetic, but haven't richened her up.
I may have it wrong but I think Time2ride, was being funny. Re-read his post, but I dont think he was being confrontational.

WB

Old 07-30-2007 | 06:30 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

I agree, timetoride wasn't bashing MOCO he was saying that most people on here aren't into solutions, just bashing. T.

Old 07-30-2007 | 07:05 AM
texas725
Outstanding HDF Member

Installed true duals, oil cooler and a Stage 1 upgrade on my 07. Never had any heat problems in stop and go traffic.

Old 07-30-2007 | 07:08 AM
hubble
Tourer

I recently put a HD oil cooler on my 07 Ultra and it made a big difference. I have no temp gauge now since my LED dipstick quit working after it got wet. But oil temp was around 245 and at a stoplight my thighs were a burnin [:@]

Now with the oil cooler at a stoplight it feels like a normal air cooled motor scooter I would like to know what my oil temp is now though.

Old 07-30-2007 | 09:24 AM
robandlyn
Road Master

ORIGINAL: hubble

Now with the oil cooler at a stoplight it feels like a normal air cooled motor scooter I would like to know what my oil temp is now though.

Get the dash mount oil temp gauge and put it in where the USELESS air temp gauge is !
Wish I did that instead of buying the dipstick version (I take it out when washing bike).
Rob ......

Old 07-30-2007 | 10:30 AM
charlesk
Advanced

Last week, I did have to shut down my 07 Ultra while stuck in traffic. I had just ridden 150 miles and ran into major road constructiion. Sat there for 15 minutes and my legs could not take it, so, I shut off the engine. That did not seem to help, if anything, I swear that as soon as I shut her down the heat got worse. I considering parking it on the side of the road or U turning to get some air movemment. I did the U and sped down the highway.

I love my Utra. Have had some great road trips but I am also considering what to do to cool it down. I talked to the dealer about Stage I with pipes and SERT - they quoted me $2K with required dyno. I'm now investigating EFI modules pipes and air. My dealer warned me that if I did the work it could void my warranty.

charlesk

Old 07-30-2007 | 10:40 AM
sugarbear
Road Master

You didn't say what you were riding, but on my ultra I removed lowers for summer. Added the fullsac true dual and rj original. I also added the thundermax. You don't have to go that far but more fuel seemed to help the most. Mine is still warm but no worse than my 04 rk. Good luck

Old 07-30-2007 | 10:40 AM
teach
|
Cruiser

Well my apologies if the comments were meant in a joking manner. I just didn't want the post to degrade into a slaggin match, I'm really looking for a solution to the heat from the crossover.

Someone asked about the shutting down of the bike... I had to pull off once and shut the bike down on Skyline Drive. Got stuck behind a line painting crew and was crawling along and stop/starting in 85+ temps. It got really hot on the crotch so I pulled off for a few minutes to give myself a break from the heat. The bike itself didn't shut down and didn't appear to be overtemped in any way. The crossover area was just really throwing some heat. Oh and I've been riding for some 35+ years so I'm neither new to riding or HD's.

I think I'll start with some TD's and then see where it goes from there. So I suppose the next question is really which TD Headers would folks here recommend?

ps...I really do apologies to Time2ride if he was making a joke.... T

Old 07-30-2007 | 10:46 AM
sugarbear
Road Master

The fullsac's were around $150 with the 02 bungs compared to $600 for the rest. They seem to work fine for me. just my .02

Old 07-30-2007 | 11:20 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: teach

So has anyone put on true dual headers and did they help with the heat issue?
I'm not planning to change anything as far as motor or slip-ons for this bike, its gonna be purely a road bike, but wonder if eliminating that crossover would ease the heat issue.
Don't think you can just eliminate the crossover; you'll not be able to use the stock left muffler (it's more like just a resonating chamber) if that's all you do.

Next time you're out at night, pull into a dark area and have a look at the wye pipe while the engine's running. Mine shows significant color, markedly more so than the front head pipe, even after adding a couple percent duty-cycle factor for the rear cylinder injectors at/around idle (running stock headers with Rush slip-ons). It's obviously a large part of the perceived heat problem.

ORIGINAL: Time2ride

The only time I had issues with excessive heat is when I was running the wrong combination of pipes and air cleaner. Called Rush, they provided the solution w/o having to spend $$$ on a fuel management system.
Care to elaborate?

Quick Reply: Will this cool the 07?