Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toledo HD, Redeemed themselves! Thanks Jim!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Shasta69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Toledo HD, Not very helpful

ORIGINAL: jcboof

Well, Me and the wife went on a trip this weekend with some friends of ours to Toledo Ohio, About a 200 mile ride to get there, At a gas station about 30 miles outside toledo, I noticed I was missing one bolt from my derby cover. Not too much of a big deal but, I figured that I should get a new one. So, We get to Toledo Harley Davidson, and after buying the obligatory 2 harley shirts from the store and a new derby cover bolt, I asked the guy at the parts counter if he had a spare torx bit i could borrow, I had left my tool kit at home this weekend[:@]. He told me to check with service and hes sure they could help me out.

Now, I get to the service department and after sitting there for about 10 minutes listening to some guy bitch and moan about getting charged $5.00 for a gallon of gas so they could TEST DRIVE his bike after they fixed it. I finally talked to the service writer. I explained my plea and hoped he could help me by either him or a tech loaning a tool for about 30 seconds so I could install the bolt and check the rest. NOPE! They would not help me one bit. Neither him nor a tech would loan me a tool. NOR WOULD THEY INSTALL THE BOLT FOR ME! He said that it would take longer to write up the paperwork and cost so much more money than necessary to install the bolt that he would not even waste his time. He said "Why don't you just go down the street to AUTO ZONE and buy a tool !" Not what I expected to hear after spending my hard earned $65.00 at their store to support the HARLEY habit.

Very Very dissapointed with Toledo, Ohio Harley Davidson. "BTW: Its the one on US 20."

As an Auto mechanic myself. I dont really like to loan out my tools to customers but for something like this, COME ON!!!

Ridiculous!!!!!!

OK, Now i'm done ranting.

[align=left][/align]
F**CK THEM!

Thanks for sharing.
Definatley make it a point not to stop in when I'm cruising on I90/94

F**CK THEM.

-P

Old 07-29-2007, 06:57 PM
jcboof
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like to keep all my service related things local. Actually I have a good indy that is about 8 miles away from me. The closest dealer is about 40 miles. I just would have never though that a biker in need would get turned down. The service guy made it sound like it was no big deal, and I played it off like it wasnt either but I walked out of the store dissapointed. I was supposed to be on a relaxing weekend ride. I didnt want to worry about riding around in a town that I was NOT familiar with looking for a damn parts store to buy a frickin torx wrench. I know if It were River City HD or even another dealership that I frequent that They would definitely helped me out without question, Being a HOG member I definitely crossed Toledo HD off my HOG map.

On the bright side. The sales staff seemed very helpful and the parts guys were nice. But there service department needed work. If I was down and out and looking for help, I still think I'd have my bike trailered to another stealership.

[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

Thats pretty F***ed-up.

Like others have said, should have taken everything and got your money back and told them why. Hope that this is not adding insult to injury!

Old 07-29-2007, 07:27 PM
scottma978
Cruiser

little different scenario, but I just bought an '07 street glide from seacoast harley in new hampshire. had a great experience with the sales staff and everyone I talked to while I was there. after about 200 miles I realized that if I was in fourth, fifth, or sixth gear at a relatively low rpm, my clutch wwas slipping just a little bit. I checked the slack adjustment on the cable and that was fine, so I took the clutch cover off to adjust the cable at that end ( I am about an hour and a half from seacoast or I would have brought it back to them). I then called their service department just to ask if they could tell me how many turns, or portions of a turn out the factory sets the cable at. The service manager, or most likely the writer tells me he is not a tech and he has no idea. So I asked if he could possibly ask a tech for me . His reply was "we have like 75 bikes in here we are trying to get out the door before july 4th and we just don;t have the time for this" I said "wow, you didn't have a problem making my bank account 18 grand lighter, thanks for your help" . Needless to say, I will not be back to seacoast harley again. Sorry so long winded...just venting..lol

Old 07-29-2007, 07:36 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well having been a mech for 40+ years I can see the techs position on not loaning regardless.
But I can't agree with the service writer's position.
I suppose in future you could have the tool, or maybe see the General manager, service manager, or the shop foreman.
sometimes they are more helpful.
and if not go back to parts counter and return their parts And make sure
they and nearby customers KNOW WHY you're returning them!
By the way on 01 and 06 EG tc88 primary covers take a standard 1/4 in bolt. I think derbies are same.
I replaced mine (primary)with black allen head bolts.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:12 PM
jcboof
Tourer

I myself am a mechanic too. But for the simplicity of the task, I would have probably let someone use a tool. If they wanted to dig through my box. That would be a different story, But it was basically like asking for a screwdriver. Come on! I would have lent out a screwdriver, Maybe not my Snap-On screwdriver but a cheaper one for sure. Especially if someone was outside overseeing the use of my tools.

Tools are a touchy thing especially for us mechanics, BUT, There is a time and a place to be understanding. If I had a customer come into my shop and need to borrow a screwdriver to tighten a hose clamp that has come loose on his radiator hose. I would probably just go outside quick and give it a quick turn myself. Thats just me but I'm sure that someone else would do the same. Its not like they had to diagnose a problem and find parts and bill time and materials. Just to tighten a little bolt.

[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-29-2007, 09:30 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Pitful. The parts dept. at my local HD shop (HD of Baton Rouge) has some basic tools at the counter ready to lend out for such purposes. A dealer should be ready for people on the road who need to install parts on location.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our dealership has a set of tools expressly for the purpose mentioned. And, we give the bolts away for free, if we have them in our take off box. We do accept an ocassional tip which we use for pizza - but, we certainly don't expect it. We treat people the way we'd like to be treated - sounds like a good rule (pun). Too bad life doesn't go that way always, but, that's why we have this forum - reward the good ones, stay away from the lousy ones.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:10 PM
DaleG
Advanced

I stopped at Goe Harley Davidson on a saterday. Asked them if they could check my clutch as I was missing gears and it was hard to shift. It was late in the day and they were wrapping up the work. A mechanic came out and spent about 1/2 adjusting the clutch and lubing the cables, something I had paid Republic to do just a few weeks before. The test drove the bike said I should be good.

Since I did not buy the Sportster from them I expected to pay and gladly so. I asked the service manager how much I owed and he said nothing. Not a big problem. Just laughed and said just remember we are the good guys. Well I did. I bought all my accesories from them, and my 2007 Street Glide.

When ever I go there for a repair, I never worry about the cost. They have always treated me fair. I recommend them to everybody I know looking for a new Harley. I am glad I live close to a HD dealership as friendly and honest as Goe Harley Davidson.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:30 AM
jcboof
Tourer

I just wish all dealerships were like that, Treat others as you wish to be treated!

Quick Reply: Toledo HD, Redeemed themselves! Thanks Jim!!