Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Tour Pak Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Smitty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachable Tour Pak Assistance

I just installed the detachable tour pak hardware kit on my '06 Ultra. Needless to say the instructions were not all that helpful so it took awhile to get everything installed and working properly. The next thing I'm going to do is put quick disconnects on the wiring. My plan is to be able to put either the tour pak or a detachable backrest on fairly quickly. By the way, I just found out I need to purchase another hardware kit for the backrest. It never ends! Now that my tour pak is off I'd like to hear how those of you with the same setup install the tour pak without the assistance of another person. Not only is it awkward and heavy to hold but very difficult to see where the brackets align underneath. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Smitty

Old 07-29-2007, 01:57 PM
RED E GLIDE
Tourer
Default RE: Detachable Tour Pak Assistance

I hold my tour pack from the rear and squat behind it as I engage the front. I have not installed any connectors. I have an EGC and disconnect the wires inside and pull them out. I connect the antenna and tuck the rest of the harness under the seat. Did you get an antenna relocation kit?

Old 07-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Smitty
Cruiser

I haven't done anything with the antenna yet. Still trying to decide betweenputting it inside the fairingor purchasing an antenna relocation kit.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:08 PM
toadmanor
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Smitty

I just installed the detachable tour pak hardware kit on my '06 Ultra. Needless to say the instructions were not all that helpful so it took awhile to get everything installed and working properly. The next thing I'm going to do is put quick disconnects on the wiring. My plan is to be able to put either the tour pak or a detachable backrest on fairly quickly. By the way, I just found out I need to purchase another hardware kit for the backrest. It never ends! Now that my tour pak is off I'd like to hear how those of you with the same setup install the tour pak without the assistance of another person. Not only is it awkward and heavy to hold but very difficult to see where the brackets align underneath. Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Smitty
What do you need to do this? Is there a kit you buy from HD?

Old 07-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Smitty
Cruiser

At minumumhere are the HD parts you need:

53276-04 - Detachable Two-Up Tour-Pak Rack
53804-06 - Detachable Docking Hardware Kit

If you want to install a detachable backrest you'll also need the following:

53803-06 - Detachable Docking Hardware Kit
52933-97B - Detachable Passenger Sissy Bar Upright (Medium)

There are actually 3 sizes of passenger uprights to choose from (short, medium, tall). Be sure to shop around for the best prices on everything. I find that Zanotti's, Chicago HD and M&M Cycles usually have the best deals. Hope this helps.

Smitty

Old 07-29-2007, 02:23 PM
RED E GLIDE
Tourer

To install detachables you need several kits and alot of patience as the instructions are not good.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:28 PM
RED E GLIDE
Tourer

Smitty, I can look up the parts of the antenna relocation kit that you will use.
You will only need a few of the parts and it will cost less the $50.
I can look them up for you but now I am off to Home Depot for a new dishwasher. Let me know if need them.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:44 PM
deisel49
4th Gear

Its so nice having the detachable for my tour pack, I relocated the antenna and now the bike looks sweet. I have a 2010 E-Glide Classic vivid black. When my wife is riding with me the tour pack is on and looks nice, but when i'm alone its off and looks sleek and sharp.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:52 PM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You do not need any quick disconnect plugs on the wiring....they are already there. Pull the wires out of the speaker pods and you will find quick connect plugs already there. The antenna wires in the tour pak also have connectors you can unhook.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:09 PM
bluesmanjesse
Road Captain

I'm doing the same thing on my 08 Ultra,I am thinking of going with inside the fairing antenna,anyone have recommendations for a good one?

Quick Reply: Detachable Tour Pak Assistance