Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14" and 9" Klock Werks windscreens

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2020 | 04:37 PM
RGS88
|
Road Warrior
Default 14" and 9" Klock Werks windscreens

So over the past week I've tried two different Klock Werks screens on my bike. For reference, I'm 6'1, 33-34" inseam, and I'm using a Predator 3 extended reach seat which puts me back 1.5" over stock.

First I ordered the 14" Sport Flare screen on Amazon prime, got it 2 days later and installed it. I took it for a short spin, cruising at speeds of up to 80mph, and immediately noticed that almost no wind was hitting my face. I could hear the radio perfectly, and I could easily see the road while riding (first time sitting on the bike I thought it was too tall, as I was looking at items in my garage which were less than 25 ft in front of me).

Only drawback? I thought it ruined the lines of the bike from some angles... Other than that, literally perfect...

Here's the 14" screen:

But, because I'm kind of an idiot, I wanted something that looked better and fit the lines of the bike a bit better. I spoke with the seller and exchanged that screen for a 9" version of their sport flare.

Same perfect fitment, and it feels like it's half as tall.

My review of this screen:

It's 20x better than stock. It's obviously not as good as the 14" screen in terms of wind protection, but the wind that's hitting me definitely feels "cleaner" and I have no wind buffeting/turbulent air pulling my helmet or face around (when not wearing a helmet) like I did with the stock screen. I can hear my radio quite easily, although obviously not as well as the 14" again.

I'm keeping the 9" screen because I think it looks a lot better, and I think the screen was worth every penny ($240 or so).

Old 11-06-2020 | 05:08 PM
Bob Z.
Road Master
Veteran: Navy

Do you have a pic of the 9" looking through it like you did for the 14"?

Old 11-06-2020 | 05:16 PM
RGS88
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Do you have a pic of the 9" looking through it like you did for the 14"?

Here you go!

Same thing, I got in my comfortable riding position, lined it up my camera to match my eye's viewpoint, and snapped the pic.

The following users liked this post:
leadman (11-07-2020)
Old 11-06-2020 | 05:34 PM
Bob Z.
Road Master
Veteran: Navy

Thanks. I just bought a 2011 RG (with a 2015+ fairing), which I expect to receive in a couple of weeks, but it does not have a windshield (has the Dirty Bird Speedster) so I think I will need to get a windshield - already bought the upper air duct and gasket I will need. I agree with you in that the 9" will probably be best since looks matter just as much as comfort! Did you consider any others? I started to look around but none are jumping out at me yet.

RGS88 (11-07-2020)
Old 11-06-2020 | 07:06 PM
Renegadewolf
Stellar HDF Member

I had a Klock Werks on my 05 Ultra Classic and wasn't impressed. Traded the 05 for a 14 Ultra Limited and will be going with a Freedom Shield. They look like they will throw the air away from myself and the wife better than most of the other shields.

Last edited by Renegadewolf; 11-06-2020 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-06-2020 | 07:23 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member

KW has a test ride program, check with a a local participating dealer, try them and decide.

https://getklocked.com/dealers/

RGS88 (11-07-2020)
Old 11-06-2020 | 07:38 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member

Had one on my 05 FLHTI and it was the worst thing ever. Clearview has been my favorite.

Glad you found one that works for you!

Old 11-07-2020 | 12:06 AM
RGS88
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Thanks. I just bought a 2011 RG (with a 2015+ fairing), which I expect to receive in a couple of weeks, but it does not have a windshield (has the Dirty Bird Speedster) so I think I will need to get a windshield - already bought the upper air duct and gasket I will need. I agree with you in that the 9" will probably be best since looks matter just as much as comfort! Did you consider any others? I started to look around but none are jumping out at me yet.
I had considered the Memphis Shades options, but I liked the look of the Klock Werks a lot more. Apparently, and I don't know if they have any science to back this up, the design of the Klock Werks apparently also creates downforce on the front of the bike which should help with handling and stability as well. I'm a sucker for stuff like that so, so that also helped me make my decision to try them first.

Originally Posted by Renegadewolf
I had a Klock Werks on my 05 Ultra Classic and wasn't impressed. Traded the 05 for a 14 Ultra Limited and will be going with a Freedom Shield. They look like they will throw the air away from myself and the wife better than most of the other shields.
Originally Posted by CGLTD
Had one on my 05 FLHTI and it was the worst thing ever. Clearview has been my favorite.

Glad you found one that works for you!
If you don't mind me asking, what didn't you guys like about yours? I see you both have 05 bikes, was it a fitment or design thing for those bikes/fairings?

Old 11-07-2020 | 05:08 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ryan...
I had considered the Memphis Shades options, but I liked the look of the Klock Werks a lot more. Apparently, and I don't know if they have any science to back this up, the design of the Klock Werks apparently also creates downforce on the front of the bike which should help with handling and stability as well. I'm a sucker for stuff like that so, so that also helped me make my decision to try them first.

If you don't mind me asking, what didn't you guys like about yours? I see you both have 05 bikes, was it a fitment or design thing for those bikes/fairings?
Well it was back in '08. But I remember it pushed all of the air right to my head creating a lot of turbulence. It did look cool, though!

Old 11-07-2020 | 08:20 AM
Clayshooter08
6th Gear
Veteran: Air Force
Default Klock Werks

I have one on my Ultra and really like it.....

Last edited by Clayshooter08; 11-07-2020 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Add pic

Quick Reply: 14" and 9" Klock Werks windscreens