Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 FLHR

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 04:01 AM
bezoar
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 FLHR

Endulge me. I have, as of yesterday, a new 2008 FLHR. The road to this King has been a long one. I haven't riden a Harley since 1982.
Bikes I've owned 79 Roadster, 79 FX,80 FXEF, 74 Sporty, 79 Super Glide. I decided that if I was going to get another Harley it would have to be soon cause my arthritis might not let me lift my leg over the seat. Anyway, I bought this FLHR yesterday. With all the improvements described to me by the sales person I expected an amazing motorcycle. I had drifted to a Yamaha RoadStar back in 02 but despite its " best Harley lookalike status" it still wasn't a, well, you know.
So here I am in the dealership all ready to go, nervous as a litle kid (I'm not a little kid any more), I fire it up and it fails to start--pops/coughs and finally it goes.
ALL the thngs I remember about my old HD's came rushing back--noisy exhausts, a valve train that sounded like a bunch of marbles rolling around in a can and a trany that shifts like someone took a hammer to the gear box with every shift.
What the f**k? I thought this was the "new and improved HD"? I will say that the Yamaha had the look, sound, shifted like butter and was quiet---but I digress.
Don't you think that Harley should have gotten it right by now? Then I thought,"wait a minute. This IS a Harley and what more should I expect"? So, I got over my quicky whine and just road it home savoring every minute. BUT, don't you think they should have gotten it right anyway???

Old 07-29-2007, 07:54 AM
barkster99
Tourer
Default RE: 2008 FLHR

HD has to be the luckiest company in the world. Thevast majority of their fans think that the things you identify as problems are just part of the "charm" of a Harley. Most are still trying to get over the fact that they've gone EFI and, now, heaven forbid, electronic throttle and ABS!!! Should youactually be silly enough to pose a question like this, you'll mostly hear "should'a bought a Gold Wing".

That said, bet you love the bike and welcome to the forum. Hang around and you'll learn a lot - lots of good info from lotsof good people. Enjoy the new ride.

How 'bout some more info? Color? ABS? Goodies?

Old 07-29-2007, 08:05 AM
cderider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bezoar, I know just what you mean. I've always had HD and a Jap bike (mostly Yam) and it seems to me that HD was always a decade behind the compitition. For some reson I except things on an HD I would NEVER put up with on my FJR, I just bought an 08 Road Glide and love it.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:12 AM
smokeygold
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=happybounce.gif]Shoulda bought the Gold Wing!!!

Old 07-29-2007, 08:14 AM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My 07, shifts better than my 98 BMW R1100RT! Just click! You have described the problem with the Japanese bikes, they are great but are missing something; SOUL!

Old 07-29-2007, 08:24 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

HD got it right with mine. You'd have to pry my cold dead fingers off mine to get it away from me.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:25 AM
jack49
Road Captain

I've been driving an 06 RK for two years now, and prior to that a
02 RoadStar.Except for the smoothness of shifting,the RK does everything
better. Better ride,less motor noise,better handling,and none of that coughing
and farting thru the carb.Do a good stage one mod,and if you still have complaints,
bring it back to the dealer and bitch. In two years time,I've had one failure, a burnt
out passing lamp bulb.
Sorry to hear about the arthritis,I have it too,big time,and it really sucks.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:39 AM
bezoar
Tourer

Just so you all understand, I'm NOT Bitching. I'm as happy as a clam-whatever the hel that means. I was just wondering why in 28 years some things haven't improved. If I didn't make it clear, I AIN'T BITCHIN!
Today I rode it to work and the absolute peace I felt was amazing. It's been so long since I've felt that way.
Just a little back ground: I went to Strugis from Denver Co in 1984 for the first time and went every other year until I moved away and the trip was too far--a total of 6 trips in 12 years and NO I didn't trailer it up there!!!!
I'm no newbie and no green horn-I'm an iron butt 28 year rider of harleys and love em dearly, so don't anyone get the wrong idea about me. As for the comment about the Lead-Wing, not in this lifetime!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:05 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Reading your post it looks like in harleys you went from a 79 to a 2008, if you cant tell they have under went major improvements then Im at a loss. They run much better, have tons more power, ride 10 times smoother, dont cough,spit or leak oil. As to getting it right, well they stayed true to their roots with air cooled traditon. The metrics just dumped all there old stuff and moved on to produce the Look a Like harleys. You would think if they had it right they would not have try and copy the sound,look and style of a harley. I would wonder too if my 08 harley reminded me of my 79 but even though its a 100% more refined the fact it does is a testament to what keeps harley in business.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:38 PM
bezoar
Tourer

Of course I can tell the difference. There is a whole lot more to like than in '79 for sure. Its' just that I expcted a less noisy engine and a less rough shift to first from neutral. Once again, I'm NOT bitching. Just stating my experience. Granted change is not always better. I remember the transition from Shovel to Evo and I almost cursed Harley back to the stone ages. Now I'm perfectly glad they did. A 96 CI engine and a six speed is a can't miss combo. I was duly impressed with the passing power in 5th gear--who's a think that!
Over all I'm super pleased. I'll get used to the engine and tranny just like I did in the days of AMF----yech!

Quick Reply: 2008 FLHR