Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:16 PM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM ?

Heat is starting to get to me. With 2 kids $$ is tight. I have a 1000 wishes on the list for the bike, but want to do stage 1 first. I am going to have to do it in pieces. ? is, has anyone installed a fuel management unit of any type with stock pipes and breather to try and tame the heat? What was your experience? I dont want to get into a "this unit is better than that unit" thread. Don't flame me too bad, i did a search on the subject but did not find anything.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:31 PM
takeiteasy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ECM ?

I think most of the units have maps for stock setups. It would probably be a good place to start as you can lower the air fuel ratio.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:40 PM
christian0632
Tourer

I have a PCIII on my stock Ultra. Cut down a lot of the heat but if the air temps get above 95, the bike still gets hot while sitting in traffic. It was one of the least expensive fuel managementoptions and I like the fact I can take it with me if I decide to sell the bike. Since I don't have pipes or air cleaner, I can take it off in less than 5 minutes if the bike has to go to the shop for work. If I decide to get A/C or pipes, it can be adjusted for whatever I decide to modify.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:03 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

May I suggest that if you have concluded what avenue you are going to go with your pipes.....ie...stock headers w/slipons, true duals, or 2:1's.......then other than the 2:1 option, go ahead and buy the slipons and install them. You can ride withjust slip-ons and be just fine then save your money and continue to build your Stage I like you want putting the parts in a safe place until you have them all and are ready to put the rest on the bike.Adequateheat managementcomes with a combination of synthetic oils and proper AFR dialing with the fuel management of choice. Just make sure you do your homework in the selection of fuel management systems as cutting corners could leave you will aHOTill running bike.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:18 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to give you the most tuning options even though it may be pricer than stage one download, I would start with the SERT.
It will allow you or a tuner to retune the bike without any other parts.
Then as you add A/C, pipes, mufflers, cams, etc it can be used to retune the
bike as needed.
The only drawback, is you can only use it on the one bike as it is vin specific.
Read HD's performance parts catalog for more info.
Got it on mine and I enjoy it now that I found a good dyno tuner at a dealer.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:28 PM
charlesk
Advanced

I've been looking at the same.I also have a hot 07 Ultra. I've been reading everthing I can find and believe me there is a lot of information and options out there. I went to my HD dealer and he quoted me $460 for the SERT. I went ahead and priced out new exhaust and air -thats another $1100.

Then the dealer told me that to keep it under warranty they would have to install all the components and dyno the bike. Total labor five hours at $85 per hour. Gee now we're talking $2,000.

In the august issue of American Rider there are a couple of good articles and reviews on EFI systems.

Everyone seems to have a different opion. Me, I am still trying to decide.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:42 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

The Twin-Tec by Daytona will be my choice...It has wide-band 02 sensors, its completely expandable and has the auto learn function to help aid in tuning without the expensive dyno time. The MAP/BARO sensor inputs have been eliminated so the big cams can be used and your tune will be accurate. Also if you run true duals like I plan to, you can tune it like it was two different motors. All software updates are free and it has a 45 return policy too. Just my .02
If you need to have warranty work done you can reinstalled the stock stuff and take it into the dealer that thinks they are the only ones that can mod bikes at a rape job price.
Air box and slip-on`s will not void your warranty unless they can prove that's what caused the problem.
There would be no dyno time needed to download the dealer software...Sounds like hes trying to have sex with you without a kissbefore its all said and done.....[8D]

Old 07-29-2007, 05:00 PM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic

May I suggest that if you have concluded what avenue you are going to go with your pipes.....ie...stock headers w/slipons, true duals, or 2:1's.......then other than the 2:1 option, go ahead and buy the slipons and install them. You can ride withjust slip-ons and be just fine then save your money and continue to build your Stage I like you want putting the parts in a safe place until you have them all and are ready to put the rest on the bike.Adequateheat managementcomes with a combination of synthetic oils and proper AFR dialing with the fuel management of choice. Just make sure you do your homework in the selection of fuel management systems as cutting corners could leave you will aHOTill running bike.
Most likely I will go with V&H slipon ovals and a ANBS. Like i said I want to cut down on the heat first and then add the rest of the S1. Money is an object and I think I want to do the fuel management first. I took a look an the Daytona module in the post above and would like more info on it.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Spartan
Road Captain

I went with the T-MAX. Took care of the heat and definitely improved performance.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have lots of options, but to a large degree it depends on what you plan to do with your bike. If all you will ever do is a stage 1, I'd recommend a Vance & Hines Fuel Pak. If you want more growth possibilities you can go with a PCIII USB or SERT. Then if you really want to go all out, Thundermax might be the way to go. It's all up to you. I'm assuming you own a late model bike -- if so, all of these options are available to you.

BTW, I have a PCIII and it works really well (my first unit failed after a couple of weeks and this is my second. I had a little problem with electrical connections when first installed but got that solved so it runs great now). I've got an older model bike with the MM EFI, so my options are a little less than yours. Good luck!

Quick Reply: ECM ?