Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Rininhoj
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ECM ?

My .02,
I have the PCIII USB on my '06. Have a fair map but no dyno tune. Heat was still an issue @ idle till I got the elusive 2.2.0 firmware. Now I'm ok for the moment but know that theres more to be had with a dyno tune. PC $265, dyno tune maybe $300. Now if I change in the future to a 2-1 pipe it will be another dyno trip $$$.
Since you have an '07 with bungs in the pipes already....If you can swing the $$ ( around $700, but check with shooter64 for what I'm told is the best deal ) go for either the ThunderMax with Auto Tune or the Daytona TwinTech WEGO II. The systems will eliminate need for dyno tuning to get you the most out of anything you choose to do.
As far as which one the way I've read to make your decision is...... if your gonna go big & radical, IE heavy cam, 110+ bore, blower etc. Get the DTT. Harder to set up but more capable in the long run handling "radical". If your plans are Stage 1 for now, with maybe a cam & some minor head work, then the TMAX is a good choice. Easier to set up
My recommendation would be the TMAX. I wish I had gone the extra $150 in the first place for the TMAX instead of the PCIII ( closed loop model without auto tune ) because the when I wasn't satisfied with the canned map I could have spent the $300 & added the autotune. Instead of 1 dyno tune. I am hoping to come up with the money this winter to switch.
Another option is if money is a issue now but wont be in the future ( as in can spend $100-$150 on something that doesn't fit into your long term plans ) then get a used PCIII or VH fuel pak for the present. While you build $$ for what you want to do. Not my favorite option, I hate to $olve a problem more than once.But for deals on used PC or VHFP look in the Motorcycle parts for sale forum. There is always one there, some one upgrading to TMAX,DTT or paying the dealer for a SERT.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
Rini

Old 07-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Gunney8
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still convinced that the heat we feel comes from the radiant heat from the pipes, not the engine heat. Fuel managers will in fact reduce internal engine heat, but I'm not convinced that is what is making us bake, and don't think they do much for cooling down the pipes.
True duals, getting rid of the cross-over pipe that is right behind your right thigh and just behind passengers right leg, will reduce the radiant/ambient heat where it is the worst. Don't know about those saddle heat guards (saddle guard heat deflectors that are advertised on the right side of this page). Looks like they might help the rider some, but not much for the passenger. Don't havethem so can't comment but there is another thread that swears by them, so they certainly can't hurt.
Dang guys, there is going to be heat on an air cooled engine, especially if you have a fairing with, or without, lowers.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:17 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: choochoo

to give you the most tuning options even though it may be pricer than stage one download, I would start with the SERT.
It will allow you or a tuner to retune the bike without any other parts.
Then as you add A/C, pipes, mufflers, cams, etc it can be used to retune the
bike as needed.
The only drawback, is you can only use it on the one bike as it is vin specific.
Read HD's performance parts catalog for more info.
Got it on mine and I enjoy it now that I found a good dyno tuner at a dealer.
Whatchoochoo says is how I went, and I'm happy. Sometimes trying to save cash in the short term can work out costly on the long haul.

WB