Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling the trigger within the hour.. 16" or 18" ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007 | 06:09 PM
Badbagger
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Default Pulling the trigger within the hour.. 16" or 18" ?

I am pulling the trigger within the hour on a new set of Fat Daddy 50 spokes from Hog Pro. Presently running the stock setup and debating on staying with 16" or moving up to the 18". Which way would you go and why ? The downside to the 18" is needing to immediately spend another $300 or so on a new set of rubber.

Hmm.... help me out fellas

BM

Old 07-28-2007 | 06:26 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Pulling the trigger within the hour.. 16" or 18" ?

18", however, a 21" front looksthe beston a RG.... IMO. Definitely get away from the pontoon balloon 16's.

Old 07-28-2007 | 06:29 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member

18"

Old 07-28-2007 | 06:36 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

I am a big fan of keeping within the lines of stock when something has a look that flows. That being said, I would consider the Streeglide a sleek looking machine that already has excellent flow, and would therefore say to stick with 16" wheels. I did and have no regrets. But then again, i'm not really a fan of BIG wheels.

Old 07-28-2007 | 07:13 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

18s had 80 spokes on my 07 SG, the bike handled a lot better and IMHO looked a lot better with the 18s.

I have since went to 21/18 set up and it's even better.

it's your cash do what makes you feel good and f what anyone else thinks.

Old 07-28-2007 | 07:17 PM
rmarion
Road Master

go all the way and upgrade to the 18's......

Old 07-28-2007 | 07:25 PM
Street Glider
Cruiser

I really like the way my bike handles with stock 16" wheels but have considered moving up to 18" when I wear out the stock rubber. My question is how does moving to the larger wheels effect the ride and handling of the bike? It seems like larger wheels would raise the center of gravity on the bike. Is that correct and if so would you then want to lower the bike to make up for the larger wheels? There's no question that the larger wheels look better on a SG, or other touring bike, due to the dual disk setup. And the 21 on front looks really slick but raises my concern of degraded handling even more. I always figure there's a reason for standard setups. Of course, money may be the biggest factor for the manufacturer.

Very interested in where this thread goes.

Old 07-28-2007 | 08:03 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: Street Glider

I really like the way my bike handles with stock 16" wheels but have considered moving up to 18" when I wear out the stock rubber. My question is how does moving to the larger wheels effect the ride and handling of the bike? It seems like larger wheels would raise the center of gravity on the bike. Is that correct and if so would you then want to lower the bike to make up for the larger wheels? There's no question that the larger wheels look better on a SG, or other touring bike, due to the dual disk setup. And the 21 on front looks really slick but raises my concern of degraded handling even more. I always figure there's a reason for standard setups. Of course, money may be the biggest factor for the manufacturer.

No One but No One has said anything about the LOAD RATING of the tire. The first thing when modifying any bike is to decide what you want to do with it. Right now there are both 23 & 26 inch wheels (I have been told, however, I have not held them in my hand) & tires available for your bike to make it even more interesting. Your choice is 15”, 16”, 17”, 18”, 19” and 21” along with the above options. What are you going to do with the bike? Bicycle tires are OK If you just want to leave it in your living room. Only you can answer that question, however, think about your final plan.

Old 07-28-2007 | 08:12 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Street Glider

I went 18F and 18R on my bike because TO ME the lines of the batwing bike(s) look better kept in a uniform "stance". BUT the Road Glide, TO ME, can get away with a 21" front wheel w/18" rear and have a strong alluring stance.One, again to me, that is quite appealing.

The handling on my bike is quite impressive in the twisties and the Metzlers keep the rubber attached to the road.

Old 07-28-2007 | 08:54 PM
WORKD4IT
Road Captain

I know for me... when the wife gives me the ok. I'm gonna stick with the stock 16 in the rear and go with the 21" in the front. I'll stick with the spokes too. Can't wait to see pics when your done.

Quick Reply: Pulling the trigger within the hour.. 16" or 18" ?