Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Zumo 550 or 450 Mounting on EG

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 05:40 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin Zumo 550 or 450 Mounting on EG

OK, y'all. I've got the bug BAD for a new ZUMO 450 (don't need the bluetooth, etc.).
I love the features and about the best price I've found is at Abe's of Maine for $489 delivered (not refurbished). They are a VERY reputable dealer.
My concern is that the Zumo is a large beast, and let's face it, there ain't tons of room on my EG UC to mount it without it interfering with something... so, I'm looking for you guys/gals out there to upload some pictures of how you mounted your Zumo's on your bikes.
I've been to ram-mount.com so I know what my mounting options are. Heck, I've even considered mounting it TO the batwing right in the middle between the speedo and tach, but I don't know if I like that idea - afraid I might crack the batwing plastic.
Anyway, I'd really like to see some pics of how the Zumo looks from the driver's perspective.
Thanks as always,
The EGK

Old 07-28-2007, 05:51 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Garmin Zumo 550 or 450 Mounting on EG

550 came with car and bike mount. purches real nice on handle bars between/infront of the volt mtr(can still read no problem) and the brake fluid reservoir. either one is fine. worth the $$ savings to get the 450 imo

Old 07-28-2007, 06:45 PM
joeschmoe
Road Captain

I have the Zumo 550 mounted on the left side of my handle bar rigt above the bend from the mount...This is on a 06 RG...Not blocking anything, all gauges readable, radio is easily adjusted...No problems.....

Old 07-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Easyglide
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It easily mounts with the included ram mount on the left side of the handlebar--mine does not block anything on the dash.

I have mine conected using the cigarette light connection option that is mentioned in the Zumo forum. Then I can easily take it off for security purposes.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:12 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 550 comes with a universal mt that you can attach to the two torx screws that attach your clutch bracket to the bars. It has a RAM ball on the end for adjustability. I suppose the 450 has it too.

I have a "Bobby Mount" (from Gilbo here on the forum). It's a billet piece that's way sweet. I do not know what he has for the batwing bikes, but he does reference them in his signature.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:20 AM
cwilks
Banned

ORIGINAL: Easyglide

It easily mounts with the included ram mount on the left side of the handlebar--mine does not block anything on the dash.

I have mine conected using the cigarette light connection option that is mentioned in the Zumo forum. Then I can easily take it off for security purposes.
Easyglide,

Could ya throw some pics of yours mounted into your gallery so we could check them out? Like Eglidekid I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Zumo 450 and would really like to see one mounted on a glide first.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2007, 11:34 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: cwilks
Could ya through some pics of yours mounted into your gallery so we could check them out? Like Eglidekid I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Zumo 450 and would really like to see one mounted on a glide first.
I second that request, also looking at a 450, but am intimidated by its size. The SG has less area to work with compared to most FLH's since the line-of-sight on the mirrors are through where a GPS might normally be mounted. Then there are the speakers and guages which must remain clear. I think it's going to have to go under the handlebars, but if so there may be clearance problems with the tank on full fork lock. I had about given up and decided to find a Garmin Quest or Quest 2 (same as HD Quest and Conquest), which are smaller and can be found on Ebay for ~$200 used. They're also waterproof and can use the HD mounting hardware, but the Quest has limited memory.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:43 AM
cwilks
Banned

Yeah, I like the size of the Quest BUT I'm concerned with the limited memory and the fact there's a lot of post's here about the mount breaking and the unit bouncing down the road []

Old 07-29-2007, 11:47 AM
pfd161
Cruiser

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1918293/tm.htm

any questions pm me!
Dennis

Old 07-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Easyglide
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will take a few pics and post it this evening. I already owned a Quest when I purchased my EGC, so I had the fairing mount added. Got tired of loading the map sections on my Quest everytime I took a trip, so I purchased the Zumo.

Quick Reply: Garmin Zumo 550 or 450 Mounting on EG