Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine builders experience with cylinders & sleeves beyond 95"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007 | 04:11 PM
lsc86
|
Tourer
Default RE: Engine builders experience with cylinders & sleeves beyond 95"?

Biggzed- I thought my original post pretty much summed it up. If someone has experience sleeving stock cylinders, what were the results? Maybe someone has sleeved off the shelf purpose cast big bore cylinders with better results? Looking for actual experience with kits bigger than the 95s that don't require a stroked crank.

Bryan, that's more along the lines of the info I am looking for- at what point do you start seeing warping or other issues, especially heat related with stock cylinders.

I'm well aware of the various 95" kits floating around, but also have come across some 100-107 inch setups that look interesting too, all based on resleeving stock cylinders [or using other big bore cylinders], at least up to 4" bore won't require case mods.

Old 08-09-2007 | 04:20 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: lsc86

Biggzed- I thought my original post pretty much summed it up. If someone has experience sleeving stock cylinders, what were the results? Maybe someone has sleeved off the shelf purpose cast big bore cylinders with better results? Looking for actual experience with kits bigger than the 95s that don't require a stroked crank.

Bryan, that's more along the lines of the info I am looking for- at what point do you start seeing warping or other issues, especially heat related with stock cylinders.

I'm well aware of the various 95" kits floating around, but also have come across some 100-107 inch setups that look interesting too, all based on resleeving stock cylinders [or using other big bore cylinders], at least up to 4" bore won't require case mods.
LSC - No one replaces the sleeves in HD (Factory or aftermarket) cylinders. People bore them out to the desired bore. Any good shop will use torque plates. I consider them a requirement in doing this process.

The reason I asked about your goals for an engine build is to help you determine if you NEED to go beyond a bolt on kit. The cost goes up considerably when dealing with engines beyond bolt on big bore kits. There is nothing wrong with just wanting more cubic inches than the next guy. If that's the case, and money is no object for you, then go for it.

Old 08-09-2007 | 04:20 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned

when i was shoppin kits...S&S had a 100" but it required boring the cases for the bottom of the jug to fit properly....being an old outlaw drag racer i wanted cubes with a short stroke...i bought the R&R setup bc of the jugs...i felt it was the best on the mkt not requiring case machine work....i also figg'rd the cam/head pkg would be the key....a close friend and i had just done a cam swap and head clean up on his SG which yeilded almost 90/90 on 88"....i'm very satisfied with my hi comp 98" motor with the cast R&R heads

Old 08-09-2007 | 04:41 PM
lsc86
|
Tourer

MTC and Wiseco offer sleeves for 100 - 107 applications. Axtell has 4" bore pistons available as well as their own big bore cylinders. I know for fact that 4" bores will fit stock cases, going up to 4 1/8 require case boring. I just haven't seen a set of stock cylinders with oversize sleeves in them myself, if I had, then I'd have a better feeling for how much meat is left in the cylinder for heat dissipation and rigidity. Just was hoping someone else had played around a bit with twin cams beyond the usual 95 inchers.

Toying with the idea of using a 4" bore, just so I don't have to mess with the cases just yet [save that for when the 4" engine grenades down the line!]. The easy route would be just some stock hi compression pistons with cams, valves, and heads, but if you're gonna have it apart...... ; )