Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16" VS 18" front wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2020 | 04:56 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jammerx
So the front and the rear tires on the 2020's are 18's. I have a ridden an (Electra/Sport/Classic/Limited/Street) Glide of some sort for +30 years. The 18's front and rear are the best handling to date. Bike seems light on its feet (for a fat kid) and is stable at reckless driving speeds. Originally I was like wtf, but I am sold.... YMMV
I agree.
I just traded my 17 RG Ultra with 17front/16rear for a 2020 RG limited with 18s front and rear and it handles much better. I had no complaints at all about the 2017 however after riding the 2020 for a couple weeks I see a difference in the handling in turns at both high and low speed. To me the bike feels like it holds the line much better in turns, going from a stop to a 90 degree turn at an intersection is a really noticeable difference it seems the 2020 turns in a much tighter radius

The following 2 users liked this post by Mxdad:
HDFORM (08-26-2020), jammerx (08-30-2020)
Old 08-26-2020 | 07:33 AM
gpeade
Tourer

Someone educate me please but how will the rim diameter change the handling? Now I can see if you made an extreme change like from a 16 up to a 20 or bigger but from a 16 to an 18 the tire is gonna be lower profile and overall diameter still the same so I don't see how the handling would be effected much if any. Even if you kept the same size sidewall on the tire from a 16 -18 you are only raising the axle 1". I just don't see how that would have much difference?

Old 08-26-2020 | 07:54 AM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior

I just put a 18" on the front of my 99 Ultra, seems to ride the same to me. I had 2005 SG wheels on it before & the 2013 SG had a 18" front.

Toby

Old 08-26-2020 | 09:02 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by gpeade
Someone educate me please but how will the rim diameter change the handling? Now I can see if you made an extreme change like from a 16 up to a 20 or bigger but from a 16 to an 18 the tire is gonna be lower profile and overall diameter still the same so I don't see how the handling would be effected much if any. Even if you kept the same size sidewall on the tire from a 16 -18 you are only raising the axle 1". I just don't see how that would have much difference?
Shorter sidewalls improve response.

Old 08-26-2020 | 09:33 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by gpeade
Lower profile tires are firmer on the ground, but the weight of a wheel makes a big difference as well. Mass (weight) in constant motion resist change. The less mass, the less resistance. A lighter wheel accelerates better and handles easier. It's really a simple change that has big effects. Want even more changes, go Kevlar.

Beary

The following users liked this post:
eighteight (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020 | 12:46 PM
seanl
Road Master

I went from 16" spoke and wide whites to 18" billet alum wheels both front and rear. I didn't notice any degradation in ride quality, but I did feel an immediate improvement in handling, esp. turn-in on curvy roads. Assuming that's due to both shorter sidewalls (but not too short compared to 19s or 21) and much stiffer wheels.

Old 08-26-2020 | 12:47 PM
HDFORM
|
Tourer

Thank all of you for replies on why HD changed the dia of the touring front wheels.
I get the Technology reason for better handling, but as for following the current style?
I do not follow the Current style, on Cars, trucks, boats or Motorcycles
To me an old school Guy that rode Harleys for 46 years, the Current Styles look like pimp Rides.
I still drive 1975 GMC, my Daycruiser boat is a 1971 Campbell V-drive. (no high tech Crap)
My ride is a 2013 ultra Classic only because it is more comfortable than my 06 Heritage , Affordable and
has Spoke Rims I use for Long road trips, like the one I just got home from.

Old 08-26-2020 | 01:14 PM
seanl
Road Master

Originally Posted by HDFORM
Thank all of you for replies on why HD changed the dia of the touring front wheels.
I get the Technology reason for better handling, but as for following the current style?
I do not follow the Current style, on Cars, trucks, boats or Motorcycles
I agree with you...it's a preference of course. I had zero desire to have a 21" front wheel on my King, but I did want to ditch the spokes, they weren't aging well..

Old 08-26-2020 | 04:40 PM
jimglassford
Tourer

There is a lot more to the ride and handling of a vehicle than just one factor, in this case the wheel size. In the 1960's the optional performance size wheels on a car was 14". As the wheels got larger, it was combined with better tire technology, suspension, weight distribution and so on. Flash forward to today and the Harley wheel size takes into account the same factors with tire technology, rubber compounds, suspension design/geometry, frame design, crap we hang on the bike that changes the aerodynamics and weight distribution etc, etc, etc. As to the looks. it is personal preference. How many here followed the large front wheel trend of almost blocking the front headlight with massive front wheels. I am thankful that trend is dead.

Old 08-27-2020 | 01:54 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

I agree with HDform...17 & 18 wheels look like crap-a-rino on an FL front end. Only thing FLs should have is 16s, fore & aft.

Quick Reply: 16" VS 18" front wheels