Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Trapp Slip om baffles

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:10 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Super Trapp Slip om baffles

ORIGINAL: itsmyforte

ultra classic

since you have had yours out so many times. can you tell me if the pipes are made identical? i read a small except in the american bagger mag pipe shootout that one of the pipes weighed 1 lbs. more than the other.
Never noticed as I take one out, clean and put it back then take the other out. I'll pay closer attention next time. The distal end of the baffle, as in from the end cap toward the pipe, has a peculiar shape hence needing to stab the baffle into the pipe.I'd venture to say it is possible since the majority of the exhaust goes out of the right side, but I do apologize for not being able to confirm this at the moment. Got me curious though.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:53 AM
billybobsrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called Supertrapp yesterday and they said the Screamn' Eagle Touring Performance mufflers & the Supertrapp S E's were pretty much identical andthe bafflesare the same. The sound could probably very depending on the size of your engine, number of miles on your mufflers and weather your running true duals.
I have billeted tips on mine, but would like to know if changing the tips to something like a set of turn downs might help; anyone try out there try a different tip to see?

Old 08-07-2007, 10:38 AM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem withthe tips is that they almost cost as much as the baffles for a bandaid fix! That's why I'm trying the baffles instead.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Rotti1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: cobrabob

I think you are right about not being able to changle the baffles and I don't think that is really the problem the more I listen anyway. I am going to go to a true dual setup so the majority of the exhaust is not coming out of the right pipe. I can barely hear the left pipe when I am going down the road but the right one gets annoying. I think when they are balanced out, they will sound fine.
I have the SE which are suppose to be 3DBA louder than stock. When I first put them on I used a friends set of tappered tips. Didn't like the looks so I bought the Billet end caps with the three rings. They look great but as you mentioned...it sounds like all the noise is coming out of the right pipe and definitely louder on the HWY. Funny thing though, and maybe its just me but it runs smoother between 2800-4000rpm. Maybe less back pressure.

Smitty

Old 08-07-2007, 06:58 PM
casique
Road Warrior

Just got the new Supertrapp baffles today. The baffles include a small cup/sleave looking metal piece, any ideas where that piece goes? The small piece is loose and not attached to any one part of the baffle.

This is what Supertrapp said " The baffles are also used for earlier model pipes with a smaller inlet, just discard the adaptors."

Old 08-09-2007, 10:43 AM
casique
Road Warrior

Just replaced the baflles, it took about ten minutes to do both. They came out easy and went in easy. I did have to very lightly tap the baffle with a deadblow hammer to line up the bolt holes.

I started the bike for a brief minute (930pm) and it almost sounded the same, nice deep rumble. The test is going to be at cruise, thats where the jackhammer noise drove me crazy. I'll post again as soon as I get to ride the bike.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:15 PM
itsmyforte
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i await your response as i anxiously away delivery of my pipes. i hope they sound good. how much difference is there between right adn left pipe loudness levels? i'm used to a right side bias anyway, but was kinda hoping to get some dualling grumble.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:07 PM
casique
Road Warrior

From my short engine run, there is a nice rumble and both pipes where rumbling. I don't know what baffles the pipes come with. I put the Supertrapp 100-7580 on mine.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:41 AM
casique
Road Warrior

Finally got out with the new Supertrapp baffles. The new baffles are quieter than the Mikuni baffles. No surprise there since the right side Mikuni baffle is half the size of the Supertrapp baffles. The experiment worked! I can cruise again without getting a headache and ringing ears.

Iddle, the mikunis are louder and have adeeper tone. The Supertrapp sound great, but not as nice as the Mikuni.

No issues with my SERT tune. The bike runs as before. There is less popping with the new baffles.

The mikuni baffles sound louder/better while accelelrating. The Supertrapp sound great as well, not as loud.

Cruise, the Supertrapp sound glorious. No jackhammer sound. The wind is my enemy again, I wear a full helmet-always. At 60+ is where the Mikuni bafles failed and made the ride horrible. So it appears that the new baffles are a good compromise with sound/noise. A good investment if you don't want to replace the mufflers. You are going to pay about $155 including shipping for the new baffles.

I believe that you can just purchase one baffle ($70) and just replace the right baffle and most likely get the same results.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:52 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

So what was the xtra hardware in question for? Just wondering.[sm=ummmmokay.gif]

Quick Reply: Super Trapp Slip om baffles