Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Montana or Bust! Where to go next week? Any input?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 03:00 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Montana or Bust! Where to go next week? Any input?

ORIGINAL: Biggzed

There is a chance the Going to the Sun road is not completely open still. Check before you head out. When I was in Yellowstone last year one of the park rangers we talked to told us it was still closed. We were planning on going up there, but stayed in Yellowstone longer.
Last year ???

I rode the Going to the Sun last year in the second week of August and it was fine.

Or were you thinking of the Beartooth?

Old 07-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

So you're telling me that park ranger we talked to in Yellowstone didn't have factual information on Glacier? Dammit, when will the insanity end. lol

In all seriousness, we thought about going for it anyway, but were having too much fun in Yellowstone. There was wildlife everywhere! It was a blast. I figured I would rather see all of one park rather than some of a couple of parks. Maybe I'll pack up the glide middle of August and head to Glacier. It's only a long day's ride for me.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:04 PM
billydflnc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the "Cheif Joseph" highway is in Wy but it's close and don't forget "The Little Bighorn" Battlefield... it's a must!!!!!

Old 07-26-2007, 05:57 PM
cabowabodude
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys great information!

Mark

Old 07-26-2007, 07:15 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of Montana has free camping in the National Forests & there's great camping at the foot of the Beartooth Pass south of Red Lodge.
Here are some pix of last week's Beartooth Motorcycle Rally & Iron Horse Rodeo in Red Lodge.
http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=ab8408a2.pbw
http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=c3466c11.pbw

Take the advice of using Hwy 2, especially starting out in Northern Minnesota. The freeway sucks, except at the Painted Canyon in Medora, ND, which is pretty close to the Montana border.
Ride safe.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:24 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

Anywhere in western Montana is beautiful country to ride in, from West Yellowstone all the way up to GlacierPark.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:52 PM
coach127
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

We are going to come out of Red Lodge and hit 90 up to Three Forks and run 287 up to Helena. Then work our way to 83 and come up the east side of the Flathead range(Bob Marshall Wilderness)to Bigfork then to the house at Yellow Bay. Rest a few days and run up to Glacier, then maybe onup to Calgary. Do you have to have a pass port to come back in to the states now?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

If you find yourself near Missuola think about taking the Seeley lake road to Glacier. It is nice. You can also go on 93 North to Flat head lake and go around the east side to Glacier. You can check the "going to the sun Road" on the Glacier web site fro the NPS. Took a 36 foot motorhome to Glacier three years ago. Took are tow vechicl over the pass and came back to Glacier via the south end of the park. It is just pain awsome. If you go to Custer's last stand you will learn the true history of the battle. Custer was an idiot. I am not an Native American but his attack on the Indians makes me want to scalp him also. Another great drive is the Gallatin mountain range on the East side of Yellowstone North to Bozeman. Heck it is all nice in the Western part of Wy or Mt. Have a great trip. Call my house tell my wife you need my help and maybe I can sneak off and go with you. Maybe not.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:06 PM
buttman
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are into history, stop by Pompeys Pillar just east of Billings.

http://travel.state.mt.us/whatsnew/f...rkablerock.htm

At the top there is a cool info station about Custer, also.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Murfstew
6th Gear

We just got back from Glacier. Went to the Prince of Wales lodge on the Canadian side. You need your birth cert. and your wife may need copy of marriage license. No trouble getting back in but the Canadians held us up about 45 minutes checkung us out. The ride along Lake Koocanusa is nice. Highway 37 I think Going to the Sun was closed due to washouts earlier, I think it opened up about the first of July. Have a nice trip!

Murf

Quick Reply: Montana or Bust! Where to go next week? Any input?