Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 06:42 PM
saneboy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Satellite Radio

I bought the Harley Roadtech XM radio (AL20). Nice clean install. I chose to put the antenna under the fairing, but since the top of my stock head is used by my Hogtunes amp, I put in the same bracket that Harley uses for their XM kit on the Harmon Karden radios. Works like a charm. I like this radio better than having a Roady or Skyfi mounted on the bike, since it's water proof and the buttons are big enough for gloved hands. It was not nearly as cheap as I could have gotten a Roady or Skyfi for though. Just my .02

saneboy.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20863/EC473CD9C3B44AA2B0EA231C0934128F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20863/7337B4E815D04D0F80F5EB1FC7FF876C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/20863/CC0A907BF6904BD982A569F13609BC74.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Vegas FLTRI
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just to clarify, the AUX output is an analog output.
The digital to analog coversion happens in the satellite receiver. The difference is the AUX out is not modulated on an fm carier and is a direct line level feed so you do not have the interferance that you may get from other fm stations broadcasting on frequencies near what you have your satellite set to.
ORIGINAL: Thundercloud

The only reason I asked about the Aux jack is that when you listen to it through the FM modulator you are only getting an analog signal, but XM and Sirius broadcast in Digital so if you run a male to male cable from the Aux out on your Sat radio to the Aux in on your HD radio you get Digital quality sound. I have XM on my Road Glide but I recently bought a new Dodge Charger ( and yes it has a HEMI in it ) and it came with Sirius and I really like the programming they have on there better, so I am going to change the Glide over.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:55 PM
ricaroo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you mount the antenna under the fairing where do you drill a hole in the fairing so you can plug it into the xm unit

Thanks
Rick

ORIGINAL: SCBGR

under the fairing, no problem

Old 12-05-2006, 06:58 PM
saneboy
3rd Gear

I ran mine along the handlebars in through a small hole at the edge of the dash and under the fairing. I didn't drill a hole. The connector to the antenna was small enough to get through the hole.

ORIGINAL: ricaroo

When you mount the antenna under the fairing where do you drill a hole in the fairing so you can plug it into the xm unit

Thanks
Rick

ORIGINAL: SCBGR

under the fairing, no problem

Old 12-05-2006, 07:00 PM
ricaroo
Tourer

Thanks thats what I needed to know

Rick

Old 12-05-2006, 07:45 PM
CiSmAXz
Advanced

I bought the Sirius Starmate 4 on black friday for my car. I am looking for a mount for it on a 07 SG. Any suggestions? I have looked at Ram mounts but can't seem to find the correct part. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 12-05-2006, 07:51 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

Cis I responded to your email but here it is pasted in.

I used a Ram-B-201 (3" Long arm), RAM-B-231Z (Bar Mount) and a RAM-B-238-XM1U (Diamond base for an XM radio) this will fit. then I kept adjusting it until it didnt hit my tank and was out of the way. If needed I can take more pictures. As for the antenna I ran it and the power along the bar and into the fairing. The antenna went ontop of the OEM radio and the power wire was cut and tapped into the lighter plug. Just make sure you connect the correct wire to pos and neg. The only thing I want to do when I have some time is make up an aux cable but as you can see from pictures it needs to have a 90 degree connector to plug into the radio. I tryed to keep it as tight as I can and the most is not to hit the tank. Im telling you it is extremely close to hitting but doesn't. Its easy to take off and through into the trunk if needed and if it rains I use a sandwich bag with a little electrical tape to keep it dry.
anything else I can help you with let me know.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:15 PM
CiSmAXz
Advanced

Hmmm. I have been checking my inbox to see if you ever responded but haven't seen anything. Anyway - thanks for the part #'s. Do you remember how much the mounts were roughly?

Old 12-05-2006, 09:56 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the SIRIUS Sportster and you can plug into the aux and you can st. wire it to your batt., XM 's need a voltage reducer I was told. I got a mount that Philm and a few others use with their Roady XT's, both are quick detachable also don't block the gauges or speakers, not a problem if use the pouch on the windshield
[IMG][/IMG]
Mr Wonderfuls XM, Very nice guy!!!
[IMG][/IMG] MR Wonderfuls XM
[IMG][/IMG]
Philm's Roady XT Black powder coated!!!

Old 12-06-2006, 11:29 AM
jrudicel
Road Captain

Guys....Probably a dumb thought or idea, but has anyone thought of installing this stuff in their saddlebag on a street glide? I know I had Sirius in my truck , and thats what I want on the bike. I personally dont care for XM or the 499 price for the Harley upgrade. I like the thought of having a plug and play unit on the bike that I can transfer to the car, or house when needed as I am not on the bike 365 days a year.
So, I have been looking at a real small unit for a real nice, very clean and hidden install. Been looking at like the Sirius One cause its very small and black....and also something like the Stratus reciever as its very small and the orange back lighting may go better with the SG backlighting on the gauges IF one was to mount it out in the open. Dont like the bar mounts, so have been trying to figure out possibly a way on top of the dash with all wiring behind the fairing and only having a small aux wire coming out to the radio.
Then I got wondering about putting it all in a saddlebag somehow. Thought I seen a kit somewhere that did this with a bracket for the antenna to sit on etc. It would be hidden, protected from rain, etc. What do you think? I know you couldnt change channels on the fly, but I listen to the BuzzSaw or Octane channel all the time anyways, so....hmmm, dumb or what? lol

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio