Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Cam for my 07 SG?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:12 AM
fiddlinfool77
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Cam for my 07 SG?

I want to do a cam upgrade on my 07 Street Glide.... The dealer recommends the 255.... Is that a good choice??? I have SE/AC, SERT, Rinehart slip ons.... The dealer wants $1300 for the cams, labor, gaskets, and dyno tune..... Is this a good deal and choice for my engine???The tuner told me I would go from the high 70's hp that i have now to 90-92 with this cam set up?????????

Old 07-26-2007, 08:15 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Best Cam for my 07 SG?

I hear doing the Cam only does not add to much, I'm thinking about having the stock heads ported and a cam. http://www.head-quarters.com/html/twin_cam.html

Old 07-26-2007, 04:26 PM
fiddlinfool77
Advanced

So, Are the cams a waste of time?

Old 07-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

Doing just the cams may not be justifiable for the 96", unless you do the Big Bore upgrade as well. The cost to do just the cams and the 103" or 110" is about an extra $800 to $1,000. It's really depends how much you want to spend. Some folks also do the cams and gear drive as a set. Doing this eliminates those cam chain tensioners, which are wear items and have to be inspected (at your expense.)

If you want significantly more power and torque, it might be better for do the full upgrade (cylinders, heads, cams, gear drive.)

ORIGINAL: fiddlinfool77

Old 07-26-2007, 04:39 PM
old.gezr
Road Captain

If you want low end torque, go to Head Quarters.and use there cams and get your heads done.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:11 PM
tarheelrdr
Tourer

No the cams are not a waste of time.I had HD 203's put in my 04 ultra and I could tell a big difference. But if you are planning to do more upgrades it will cost more $$$$$. I had planned on doing the 95 upgrade , so I thought I would go ahead and do the cams now and do the top end later. Then decided to go to the 113 ci. ran out of $$$$. But I still have the 203's and no headwork and I got 95 hp and 115 tq. Hav;ing a baker dd6 installed right now by NITRO SHACK in stateville nc. and I'm gonna try to install cams from HEADQUATERS (575) and send my heads to them to be redone in a couple of weeks.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:21 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: fiddlinfool77

It's really best to figure out what you really want to achieve and talk to some professionals (some of the BEST have already been mentioned in this thread) about what is required to accomplish that. Don't set yourself up for disappointment and waste $$$ to boot. Get it all done at once. If that means saving up a bit, then that's what it means. There are tons of great parts out there, but they don;t all work well together. That is the exact reason I constantly repeat the most fundemental concept.... "Use components that compliment one another".

If you do that, you will not be disappointed!

Old 07-27-2007, 08:40 AM
fiddlinfool77
Advanced

Well Texas Harley quoted me the 1300 dollars for the 255 cams along with gaskets, labor, and dyno tune... Longhorn Harley quoted me 1700 for a 103 install with the cams. So, thay sounds like the better deal???

Old 07-27-2007, 09:07 AM
teach
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with whoever said "figure out what you want the mods to do." I have a local Indy that does all my bike work reasonable, he's been doing it for donkeys years. Anyhow, when I had my 99 I was riding a bunch of mountainous areas and was constantly shifting up and down, he recommended the 37G's and since it was a 99 the gear driven with new style bearings. The cams did exactly what I wanted them to do which was get rid of the shifting issue,and if I would have wanted more oomph they alligned perfectly with the bigger pistons.
I would recommend GEAR DRIVEN cams regardless of what else you decide, as theyget rid of the potential chain and tensioner failure. They do whine a little for the first 1000 miles but you'll soon get past that as they break in.JMO......... T

Old 07-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Fiddlinfool: If all you want isonly slightly better hp and torque than you now have, but with the advantage of being able to tell your buddies that you now have "new cams and a 103," go ahead. You will have spent your money as you are free to do to change your bike as you are free to do. You will end up with a relatively meager improvement in hp and torque in the process.

What PhilM is talking about is avoiding the piece-meal approach to engine mods that ends up wasting a lot of $$$ because you didn't do the research of what complimentary components are available andtheir cost; and, you didn't really figure out what you wanted longer term.

You went from a simple original post about a cam recommendation to now asking about cams and a 103 kit in one day. This is not being critical of you; merely pointing out that without a clear plan of where you want to end-up in engine mods, a lot of $$$ get wasted as you do this mod now, then a different mod later, and on and on.

It's your money and your bike. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: Best Cam for my 07 SG?