Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Owners - How about some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:44 PM
VaRanger
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Owners - How about some feedback

Could some of you 2008 touring owners provide us with some feedback on how your new bike is doing? Some of us potential buyers are wondering about: transmission noise, engine heat, ride comfort with the new IDS, throttle response, gas mileage, other comments, etc.

Thanks for the input!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:02 PM
wldhogn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 08 Owners - How about some feedback

Don't think too many of our members even have an '08 touring bike yet .. maybe be a bit too soon. Here in So. Cal. I haven't even seen an Ultra at any of the 3 dealers in my area. Saw one SE Ultra and one 105 Anniversary Dyna Wide Glide.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Crusing
Road Captain

I should know in a couple of more weeks when my Ultra comes in. However, I do not know how long it will remain stock since I plan on doing a Stage I as soon as the parts are available. I spoke to V&H yesterday and they said it will be about 2 more weeks before they test their pipes with the 2008 models and determine if the 2007 pipes are compatible. The other parts from Harley should not be an issue, I hope.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:19 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain

I'm very happy with my Ultra so far. I moved from an 06 Deluxe. The Ultra has much more power and is a fantastic ride. I haven't noticed any more heat than my Deluxe and 5th gear sounds fine to me. Mine has ABS breaks and although I haven't had to use them (THANKFULLY), the brakes are excellent. However, I've only had it a few days and have only racked up 200 miles. But, so far, very good!

Old 07-25-2007, 08:15 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got my Street Glide on Monday. Only have 350 miles on it but so far it runs flawless. Absolutely no noise coming from the 5th gear. I rented an 07 RKC last week where I could hear what everyone was complaining about. Although I'm not jumping on it yet, the 96" has a lot more power that my 95" with stock heads. Motor is smooth and hasn't pinged for me.

It's been in the upper 80's where I live and I haven't noticed much more hear than my 06 including riding in traffic and city.

The stock pipes svck. Already have the Stage I scheduled at 1000 checkup where I'm having Rush slip onsput on. Thatwillgive me the sound I want andhelp with any heat issues.

So far, I'm very happy.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:49 PM
rmsurveyors
Tourer

Just got my 2008 Heritage, yesterdayand to say I'mvery disappointed,is an under statement. 130 Miles on it and already back to the shopfor aterrible knocking noise (similar to rod knocking noise) and is coming from what sounds to be the primary housing near the compensator. The knock is very metallic and is present in all gears as well as neutral and is magnified with RPM's, with gears loaded or unloaded, makes no difference. The knock resonates thru the frame and gas tank and causes heavypulsating feel in handle bars and foot boards. The heat coming from the engine/tranny isexcruciating, legs are burned already in just a few miles of riding.The 5th. gear chatters andis about the same as the 07model gear chatter, which never was an issue with me. It appears MOCO has made some chassis changes and threw in some eye candy, butthat is about it with the 08's. The bike still makes knocking/clattering noises uncharacteristic of what a bike should sound like, and if you want to tan those legs the 08's will do it for you. And as expected the dealers response, after test riding my bike(with a full helmet)is "I don't hear or feel anything", gee I wonder why? He says the engine noise is amplified thru the windshield and if I take off the windshield then I won't hear the noise. But when I ask him about what the windshield has to do with amplifying the noise when the bike is in neutral and setting still he got a little confused. In other words the 08's are just a continuationof the 07 issues! In my opinionthe noise and heat issues areworse than their predecessors. I think this forum is in for another long thread for the 08 let downs!

Old 08-21-2007, 01:54 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A guy I work with got a new2008 Road King FLHR last Wednesday. He's put about 400 miles on it and is very happy with the bike.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:03 PM
bonz50
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: rmsurveyors
I think this forum is in for another long thread for the 08 let downs!
my feeling is that like 07 you're gonna see a few that b!tch and moan and most are gonna be thrilled... a few lemons and a most will be fine, sounds like you got a lemon, hopefully the dealer will take care of it and things'll be fine down the road...

Old 08-21-2007, 02:05 PM
RD GLD
Outstanding HDF Member

I wil get my 08 Road Glidehere later this week or early next week. I'm having 1.75 Rush Slip On's put on and nothing else for now. I will keep you posted!!

Old 08-21-2007, 02:05 PM
RDM
Road Master

After all the problems you had with your 07, you went and bought an 08? And now you're having trouble with it after only 130 miles???? Man, I'm glad I don't have your bad luck. Hope they get your new ride taken care of quickly.

ORIGINAL: rmsurveyors

Just got my 2008 Heritage, yesterdayand to say I'mvery disappointed,is an under statement. 130 Miles on it and already back to the shopfor aterrible knocking noise (similar to rod knocking noise) and is coming from what sounds to be the primary housing near the compensator. The knock is very metallic and is present in all gears as well as neutral and is magnified with RPM's, with gears loaded or unloaded, makes no difference. The knock resonates thru the frame and gas tank and causes heavypulsating feel in handle bars and foot boards. The heat coming from the engine/tranny isexcruciating, legs are burned already in just a few miles of riding.The 5th. gear chatters andis about the same as the 07model gear chatter, which never was an issue with me. It appears MOCO has made some chassis changes and threw in some eye candy, butthat is about it with the 08's. The bike still makes knocking/clattering noises uncharacteristic of what a bike should sound like, and if you want to tan those legs the 08's will do it for you. And as expected the dealers response, after test riding my bike(with a full helmet)is "I don't hear or feel anything", gee I wonder why? He says the engine noise is amplified thru the windshield and if I take off the windshield then I won't hear the noise. But when I ask him about what the windshield has to do with amplifying the noise when the bike is in neutral and setting still he got a little confused. In other words the 08's are just a continuationof the 07 issues! In my opinionthe noise and heat issues areworse than their predecessors. I think this forum is in for another long thread for the 08 let downs!

Quick Reply: 08 Owners - How about some feedback