Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Owners - How about some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: 08 Owners - How about some feedback

I only have 750 miles on my '08 EGC, but no issues at all.

Jim

Old 08-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Major Bill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmsurveyors

Just got my 2008 Heritage, yesterdayand to say I'mvery disappointed,is an under statement. 130 Miles on it and already back to the shopfor aterrible knocking noise (similar to rod knocking noise) and is coming from what sounds to be the primary housing near the compensator. The knock is very metallic and is present in all gears as well as neutral and is magnified with RPM's, with gears loaded or unloaded, makes no difference. The knock resonates thru the frame and gas tank and causes heavypulsating feel in handle bars and foot boards. The heat coming from the engine/tranny isexcruciating, legs are burned already in just a few miles of riding.The 5th. gear chatters andis about the same as the 07model gear chatter, which never was an issue with me. It appears MOCO has made some chassis changes and threw in some eye candy, butthat is about it with the 08's. The bike still makes knocking/clattering noises uncharacteristic of what a bike should sound like, and if you want to tan those legs the 08's will do it for you. And as expected the dealers response, after test riding my bike(with a full helmet)is "I don't hear or feel anything", gee I wonder why? He says the engine noise is amplified thru the windshield and if I take off the windshield then I won't hear the noise. But when I ask him about what the windshield has to do with amplifying the noise when the bike is in neutral and setting still he got a little confused. In other words the 08's are just a continuationof the 07 issues! In my opinionthe noise and heat issues areworse than their predecessors. I think this forum is in for another long thread for the 08 let downs!
I hope things turn out OK with your new ride... good luck

Old 08-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Major Bill
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: 211Chuck

ORIGINAL: VaRanger

Could some of you 2008 touring owners provide us with some feedback on how your new bike is doing? Some of us potential buyers are wondering about: transmission noise, engine heat, ride comfort with the new IDS, throttle response, gas mileage, other comments, etc.

Thanks for the input!

The 07's and 08's have the same power plants
IE: Engine,trany,primary

So how an 07 runs so should the 08's

Heck their all Harley's so you already know they will
rattle,clank,whine,vibrate and shake with a little heat
throwen in for good measure thats what all good
Harley's do!

DITTO!! Thank you!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 04:53 PM
areinek
Novice

I picked up my '08 Ultra last Saturday afternoon and I now have about 200 miles on it. I'll do a stage 1 as soon as the SERT is available but for now I'm running stock pipes so I can hear almost any little noise. First impressions: (Note: coming from a 1998 Heritage EVO).
The bike is very, very, smooth with no vibration except at idle. As soon as you move away from a stop the bike is just smooth.
Some whine in fifth gear but very little. You'll never hear it with good pipes.
Throttle by wire is great, no hesitation at all.
Brembo brakes are just incredible. They stop you very quickly. (Haven't needed the ABS yet).
Bike is hotter then my EVO but I live in Houston and my rides have been in 95 degree weather. Heat is not noticible when you are moving but in very heavy traffic you know it's hot. But not near as bad as some have described. Nowhere close to actually burning me through my jeans.
Radio/CD and cruise control have worked flawlessly.
Rode about 25 miles through a heavy rain and the bike really handled it well. It makes you feel confident. Actually the fairing and the lowers kept me pretty dry. I'll probably pull the lowers this weekend and keep them off for the rest of the summer (through mid November here in Texas).
All in all I'm very pleased with the ride and just wish I didn't have to work so much so I could ride more.
BTW, I bought the bike from Cowboy's in Beaumont, TX, and I was treated great by everybody. MSRP and absolutely no pressure to do anything further.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:44 PM
msh134
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

08 ultra here and its been flawless so far. handling is awsome no tranny noise or any other noises at all i traded my 07 rkc and the upgrade was worth it to me. it keeps the smile on my facefor a long time and it was hard for anyone to get the smile off my face with my rkc. with my ultra i have gone to sleep with a smile on my face. its probrably normal but the day i picked her up it took 3 1/2 hrs to get home and i live 15 mins. away!!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:52 PM
jhill2209
Advanced

I have a 2008 electraglide classic, now with 2700 troublefree miles. I don't think I could be much happier with my ride.
-it handles like a dream
-could notice the heat at first, but seems to be getting less as it gets broken in
- seat is pretty darn comfortable for stock, but you do feel it a little on a 300 mile day
-Brembro brakes stop it like it is a lighter bike, very consistent and powerful. I do get a slight pad squeak out of the rear occasionally
- power and throttle response has increased as it has broken in, it has plenty for me
-no problems at all with the fly-by-wire throttle, you wouldn't know it is not a cable
-very faint noise in 5th gear if you are really looking for something, my previous goldwing and valkyrie were both noisier
-IDS makes the bike smooth, smooth, smooth; no driveline lash whatsoever
-MPG's; 40 on my 1st tank, 45 on my most recent tank
-6 gallon tank is a nice feature
Simply put, I find the bike a joy to ride. If you like a Harley, I can't imagine you wouldn't like a 2008

Old 08-21-2007, 08:08 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: VaRanger

Could some of you 2008 touring owners provide us with some feedback on how your new bike is doing? Some of us potential buyers are wondering about: transmission noise, engine heat, ride comfort with the new IDS, throttle response, gas mileage, other comments, etc.

Thanks for the input!
I have an 08 FLHTCU with 1700 miles in one week. Mine gets 200 miles per tank. When I fill up it holds 4-1/2 gallons. That's about 42 to 44 MPG running 75 to 80 MPH on average.
The IDS is very smooth. The trans has not changed. The 5th gear whine is normal and it`s still there.
The heat is there but has not been an issue for me. I just installed the DTT setup on my 07 SG and there is a major difference between them. The SG has very little heat output.
The throttle took about 10 miles to get use to, now it feels just like a cable type. The clutch lever has a different leverage so it has an easy pull. The bike is absolutely smooth. It has good power and I can run 6th gear at 60 MPH as long as I`m not pulling a hill or trying to accelerate rapidly. The bike is very nice and I have no regrets about buying an 08.
Very happy with both of my FLH`s...

Old 08-21-2007, 08:22 PM
brewdog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm very happy with my 08 Ultra. I've got 1600 miles on the speedo. Other than the heat, and I've added the "mid frameair deflectors" (code for heat shields), it's been an awesome ride. Rides betterthan the 06I traded in and has a lot morepower. Great ride!

[IMG]local://upfiles/14162/15EE6CAC12294BE68FF74C191C9D9DC9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14162/B951BE90E6BE4EDF99732D7E806F3D54.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14162/0938DECF5CFD473892C3C07A9D0CB2A6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-21-2007, 08:36 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Burple_X

Engine is smooth once you move off idle. Idling, it jumps around like a worm in hot ashes. Harley did install another damper on the front cylinder head to help with this in '08. I just can't tell that it helps much.
It's been pretty well established by now that what they did was just relocate the "upper" engine locating link down to below the steering neck on the front frame downtubes.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmsurveyors

Just got my 2008 Heritage, yesterdayand to say I'mvery disappointed,is an under statement. 130 Miles on it and already back to the shopfor aterrible knocking noise (similar to rod knocking noise) and is coming from what sounds to be the primary housing near the compensator. The knock is very metallic and is present in all gears as well as neutral and is magnified with RPM's, with gears loaded or unloaded, makes no difference. The knock resonates thru the frame and gas tank and causes heavypulsating feel in handle bars and foot boards. The heat coming from the engine/tranny isexcruciating, legs are burned already in just a few miles of riding.The 5th. gear chatters andis about the same as the 07model gear chatter, which never was an issue with me. It appears MOCO has made some chassis changes and threw in some eye candy, butthat is about it with the 08's. The bike still makes knocking/clattering noises uncharacteristic of what a bike should sound like, and if you want to tan those legs the 08's will do it for you. And as expected the dealers response, after test riding my bike(with a full helmet)is "I don't hear or feel anything", gee I wonder why? He says the engine noise is amplified thru the windshield and if I take off the windshield then I won't hear the noise. But when I ask him about what the windshield has to do with amplifying the noise when the bike is in neutral and setting still he got a little confused. In other words the 08's are just a continuationof the 07 issues! In my opinionthe noise and heat issues areworse than their predecessors. I think this forum is in for another long thread for the 08 let downs!
That must have been a dumb and dumber moment... where did you find a dealer dumb enough to sell you another Harley (never mind, just read where you had to drive 300 miles to find one)I would've pointed you straight towards the Buick dealer. Did you tell the dealer you were an advocate of a Harley boycott and that you received a letter from the MOCO stating your warranty was void and that you've made hundreds of posts telling people Harleys are junk and that anyone that continues to be run over by the train is stupid? Did you print out all your complaints posted here and show them to the dealer? Why on earth would you buy another Harley??? Just so you can continue to come here and bitch and whine and cry like a little girl?
I'm sorry if that's harsh, but after all your complaining and name calling it amazes me that you'd buy another Harley. I really wish you hadn't. Please sell both of them and find that Buick dealer.

Quick Reply: 08 Owners - How about some feedback