Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Need to Upgrade RG Headlamp Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Kahuna
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Need to Upgrade RG Headlamp Bulbs

Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade the headlamp bulbs on my Road Glide to either HID or Xenon white or blue. Since the RG headlamp assembly is made of plastic, I am tryingto find a bulb set that will not create more heat than what's there now. I was told that I can use the H4 60/55watt bulbs. I'm still not sure, however.

I would appreciate any recommendation you guys have.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:58 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Help: Need to Upgrade RG Headlamp Bulbs

Silver Stars are a great place to start, and you can normally get them at all of the Big Box Discount Stores as well as local auto parts stores.

Ride Em Carry Em

Old 07-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You might do a search on this.....I think I recall a thread on the subject of Silverstars creating a lot of heat......and that plastic lens might just get a little soft on our RG's. Anybody out there have a better answer than mine? Wish I could be more definitive.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Rininhoj
Cruiser

Seems to me that I just read somewhere that you could upgrade the headlights by ordering the European headlight assembly. This might have been a thread or possibly it is what they are doing stock on the 2008 models. There was a .pdf on the tech changes to the 08's but the link I tracked down is no longer working. If any one has the .pdf I am also interested in it.
Rini

Old 07-25-2007, 05:43 PM
engineer
Intermediate

Does anyone know the difference between the international headlamp assembly and the us version? Anybody have a part number?

Thanks.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:50 PM
RED E GLIDE
Tourer

I used a Silverstar in my EGC for about a year until the highbeam fillament burned out. No melting and it had the same wattage rattings as the original.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Blackisfast
Tourer

Here is the bulk of it...

If riding a Road Glide, you can replace the headlight assembly with the European version...it's entirely different and when coupled with high quality Osram lamps, throws a wall of light you have to see to believe.

It's better than my Avalanche...and those lights are an upgrade themselves!

I got all my info from Daniel Stern...he has a website (link in his text should work) and does great email and is a wizard at knowing what is needed for real world solutions. He can tell you what you need but only sells the bulbs. I ordered the reflector from Zanotti's. I have *NO* connection with him except as a happy paid in full customer (I do not get anything free from him except for advice).

Email from him that I saved to share (hope he doesn't mind):

[blockquote]The Harley part number for the European-spec headlamp optic for use on the RH side of the road (as we drive in North America) is 68995-01, and its beam patterns, both low and high, are much better focused: longer, wider and more effective. This headlamp uses the same configuration (twin reflectors with twin H4 bulbs) but the actual reflector optic surfaces are different.

Once you've swapped in the better optic, put in better bulbs. If you're after maximum nighttime seeing only (my choice), use a pair of Osram ultra high efficacy 70/65W Osram Plus 50: $22/ea at Daniel Stern Lighting

If you need a large improvement in nighttime seeing *and* you need other road users to see you earlier (so they don't do dumb things like pulling out in front of you), put in one Osram 70/65w and one Narva Rangepower+50 ($17/ea) with a CPI reusable selective yellow snap-on balloon ($9).

If you are on a tight budget, you can do the bulb swaps as described above in your existing lamp optic. This will not alter the poorly-focused beam pattern (light distribution) of your headlamps, but there will be more light within the beam.
[/blockquote]

Old 07-25-2007, 07:40 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a comparable conversion for the SG?

Old 07-25-2007, 07:52 PM
Blackisfast
Tourer

You'll have to call Stern to find out...all I know is how brilliant this setup is on my RG.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:01 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much were the conversion?

Quick Reply: Help: Need to Upgrade RG Headlamp Bulbs