Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advice for buying 5X10 open utility trailer to transport toruting bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:29 AM
garcon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice for buying 5X10 open utility trailer to transport toruting bike

I am going tobuy a used 5X10 utility trailer to transport my RK to Florida. Driving the bike is not a possiblity, wife won't drive the car that far by herself. Don't want to spend a ton of money on a trailer since I will only use it a couple of times a year, just lookin for something to do the job and get my bike there safely. Will buy an open trailer, can't afford a closed one. Any advice on type of coupler or any other advice. Any things I should look for to make sure the trailer willdo the job? Will your basic 5X10 trailer handle highway speeds?
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:48 AM
EVO80
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any advice for buying 5X10 open utility trailer to transport toruting bike

When you find a used trailer you want to buy look for the capacity plate on it - should have one somewhere - to let you know the carrying capacity (GRWR). If there isn't one I'd do an Interent search to find the manufacturers web site, if there is one, and see if the info is there. Make sure it's within the range you need. Most trailers today utilize a 2" ball (some larger) so this shouldn't be an issue.I wouldn't buy a trailer that didn't utilize 14" or 15" wheels - smaller wheels and tires just don't cut it for me. And, if I could find one, I'd buy one with electric or surge brakes, but that's just me (too many years towing a bass boat around and sliding through intersections on wet roads with trailers without brakes behind the truck).

Once i got the trailer homeI'dinspect and repak the bearings before I went on any long trip. If the bearings were pitted at all I'd replace them. I'd also get a pair of bearing buddies that you load with grease and under spring pressure they push the grease into the bearings. Just a little insurance.

Finally, I'd purchase some sort of front wheel support to help keep the bike stable on the trailer. Hope this helps a little.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Seaquester5
Cruiser
Default RE: Any advice for buying 5X10 open utility trailer to transport toruting bike

I am using a 5X8,' open utility trailer to haul my 07 RKC. It is the perfect length, folding tailgate allows you to safely ride the bike onto the trailer. Mine has 14" wheels, and buddy bearing dust caps that allow for easy bearing lubrication. I have made my own front wheel chock out of 2x4 and plywood and use ratchet tydowns. I have seen other posts that say 8' is too short but unless you have extremely long mufflers or something else sticking out an 8 footer leaves room to spare formy Road King.Less bulky to store when you are done and I use mine for yard stuff when not hauling the bike.Not sure you need brakes, its a relatively light load, but that would certainly be personal preferance.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:53 AM
lsc86
Tourer

Used trailers always seem to be an adventure once you get them home. 9 times out of 10 you'll end up replacing all the wiring and some of the lights. If you're lucky you won't need to replace any of the tyres or deck boards. Bare minimum you'll need to repack the bearings and give it a good once over. Spare tyre or two a must for traveling any distance and 12" wheel size is the minimum I'd want. Even if you find a nice used trailer at a good price, you often end up spending enough extra to buy a new one anyway.

Aluminum is by far the best way to go, but usually a lot more money. Just moving them around unloaded makes aluminum worth it though in my opinion.

For comparison, Farm & Fleet has a sale right now on a brand new 5x8 open trailer, mesh deck with an attached mesh loading ramp, only $575.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:19 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Condor make a great trailer mount wheel chock/stand that wll keep the bike secure.
You can also take the off and store it or use it for a stand in your garage.
I used one on my last trailer

Old 07-25-2007, 01:21 PM
SteveM
Road Captain

Might want to considering renting a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul for the few days each year that you need one.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: lsc86

Used trailers always seem to be an adventure once you get them home. 9 times out of 10 you'll end up replacing all the wiring and some of the lights. If you're lucky you won't need to replace any of the tyres or deck boards. Bare minimum you'll need to repack the bearings and give it a good once over. Spare tyre or two a must for traveling any distance and 12" wheel size is the minimum I'd want. Even if you find a nice used trailer at a good price, you often end up spending enough extra to buy a new one anyway.

Aluminum is by far the best way to go, but usually a lot more money. Just moving them around unloaded makes aluminum worth it though in my opinion.

For comparison, Farm & Fleet has a sale right now on a brand new 5x8 open trailer, mesh deck with an attached mesh loading ramp, only $575.
That's not a bad deal, but be aware that a mesh floor will "give" under your bike when you hit a bump. You might want to consider putting some 1/2" or 3/4" plywood under the wheels to spread out the weight of the bike. I've been behind 5' trailers with mesh floors carrying two bikes, and when they went over a bump the bikes tanks banged together. I've also seen bike tires punch through mesh floors, and that's not good for the trailer OR the tire.

I have a 5x8 with a wood floor (2x12 joists) that I'm very happy with. It has 14" automobile wheels and tires and a tilt bed, and the tilt bed is the only thing I have a complaint with. The pivot for the bed is too far back and the bed doesn't tilt down by itself when I ride the bike on. It's close, but I need a second person to guide it down and insert the pin.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:22 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I would look for a trailer that has a fold downgate you can roll your bike up/down on.Also the bed height should not be to high.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:37 PM
vegashd
Banned

I have a 5x10 open trailer with 2x12 wood floor and 18" high sides. It has a fold down gate / ramp and spar tire with 14" wheels. It was only 1000 bucks registered in Az. Great sturdy trailer.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:41 PM
texas725
Outstanding HDF Member

Purchased a 5.5' by 10 ' open trailer with a fold down tailgate from Home Depot.

Installed Buddy Bearings, spare tire, Condor motorcycle stand and2 recoil Cargo Buckels.

Works great for my Ultra

Quick Reply: Any advice for buying 5X10 open utility trailer to transport toruting bike