Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Javieret
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lowering a Road King

Hi everybody,

A friend of mine is thinking in buying a Road King. His problem is that he is very short and he can't put his feet completly touching the ground, and that is dangerous.

Can a Road King get lower easily? What can he do? Maybe he must look for another option like any Softail which could be lowered easily?

Thanks to all

--
Javi

Old 07-25-2007, 09:43 AM
rocksandgiz
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Lowering a Road King

How short is he? Just bought a 03 road king that was lowered. I'm only 5'6 and am flat footed and feel more stable on it than I did on my sportster which was lowered an inch. My dyna I lowered 1/2" and is still a little tall for me but I ride it ok. He can by some 1" lowering air shocks and install on it. Not to many shorter than me. Love my RK the ride and drive is great. My opinion is the touring bikes ride much better than any other harley, but a FL softail may be really close can't comment never road one. ride safe

Old 07-25-2007, 10:29 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

USE A COMBINATION OF THE HD LOW PROFILE TOURING SHOCKS AND A SEAT WITH A LOWER PROFILE AND NARROW WIDTH.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:40 AM
stewaps
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put Progressive 440 shocks 11.5 inches on mine and have a mustang solo. I am 5'5" with a pair of very short legs (27" inseam). I can comfortably put the ***** of my feet on the ground if I am wearing decent riding boots.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:30 PM
amstaffs
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am 5'8" and i have a road king i have progressive 11.5 in the rear and i lowered the front w/the HD profiles front end.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd try the Corbin or Mustang Solo seat first, and lower only as a last resort. The LAST thing I would want to do is reduce the suspension travel on a motorcycle I actually ride on.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:10 PM
KCBULLDOG
Cruiser

I have the standard 12" HD shocks and lowered the front shock 1 " with the HD kit. I also sent my stock seat of to Mean City Cycles and had it shaved down and narrowed. I am 5'4' and have no problems handling my RK Custom. I ride two up and have not had a problem with the suspension.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:12 PM
glidepride
Advanced

I installed an Arlen Ness adjustable lowering kit in the rear. It works great and the product is well made.Good thing is you pick the height! As for the front, I went with Progressive Suspension front lowering kit. It is a great part for the same amount as the HD kit. Bike will go as low as an additional 2" if you want. Take it to a good installer because the Arlen Ness kits bolts need to be cut down slightly but it does an awsome job of lowering the bike for $270.00. Good Luck

Old 07-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Matt8643
Road Captain

I am also 5'5" and lowered rear an in inch with progressive 440's and can flat foot it with no problems.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:37 PM
Navitimer
Cruiser

Not to threadjack, but how difficult is it to install new shocks such as those offered by Arlin Ness? Their website says 30 minutes. Assuming one has a full jack and average tools, is something the average joe can do? Obviously I'd rather leave it to a dealer if it involves detailed adjusting.

Quick Reply: Lowering a Road King