Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I could use some help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:31 AM
jester12
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I could use some help.

On my way to work this morning I lost function of my horn, brake light, and turn signals. The turn signals do not flash but the running lights are working along with the tail light which is working just not the brighter brake light. All fuses are good on the fuse block. Not sure if a relay went bad but if so why would it affect my horn. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:39 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: I could use some help.

Have you done any work on, or added any mods lately? Usually, the first place to start troubleshooting is the last place you did work on the bike.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Check you Rear Brake Light Switch. It sounds like it has gone bad and your brake light is stuck on.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:17 AM
jester12
Novice

Okay, the only mods done were the heated hand grips. I pulled the fuse and the problem still exsists. The brake switch is definately not stuck the taillight works brake light does not work. The next guess I would have is the brake relay. I am just not sure if this has any interface with the turn signals and horn or do I have three seperate problems.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:20 AM
cabowabodude
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jester,

Did you pinch a wire putting the hand grips back on? I put heated grips on my old RKC and pinched the wires coming out of the grips and it caused some of the same problems.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: cabowabodude

Jester,

Did you pinch a wire putting the hand grips back on? I put heated grips on my old RKC and pinched the wires coming out of the grips and it caused some of the same problems.
Exactly! a pinched wire in one of the switch housing can cause the problems you describe. don't ask how I know. LOL

Old 07-25-2007, 10:43 AM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the 2007s are 'notorious' for pinched wires when you muck around with any of the wiring in or near the housings. Been a lot of posts on this and I'll bet 99% you have a pinched wire in there which is causing all the issues you are describing.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:00 PM
jester12
Novice

Thank you for all the feedback.....problem solved.... I screwed up. I tied in the heated grips to the wrong fuse. I should have gone to the P&A fuse not the Accessories. I fell like a bonehead but I fixed it, what was messing me up is it took 3 weeks for the problem to show up.

Thanks again

Old 07-25-2007, 01:39 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm glad you found your problem and remember, even ifthe problemdoesn't seem related, it usually always has something to do with the last thing you or someone else did to anything that was being worked on, bike, car, computer or whatever. This is true about 99.9999% of the time.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:25 PM
mlb
6th Gear
Default Same problem -one solution for someone else

I found the problem!
I couldn’t wait for the special order schematics/service manual that is due next week. I traced the wires the old fashioned way, by DVM (Digital Volt Meter) and found the problem. It was no pinched wires, no blown fuse, but the ignition switch apparently cannot take much of a thump without breaking one of the contact points. Harley has a great color coded wiring scheme and if you have the “no turn signals, no horn, and no brake lights” scenario then check the hot side of the accessory fuse that powers those components. The fuse is in the bottom second to last column as you face the fuse panel. Take a DVM or analog volt meter and see if your hot side – left side of the fuse with a red with blue strip wire feeding it - shows 12V’s with the ignition turned on. If you don’t have power there, you probably have a bad ignition switch. This is on my 2008 Dyna Low Rider.

Quick Reply: I could use some help.