Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar Height - Help Me Decide

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 03:20 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

At 6 foot 3 I’d get 14s, my brother had the 14 twin peaks on his ultra, he went to a 14 yaffe bar, which is like a 16 in other bars, and is very happy he did, he’s 6’ 2”

Old 07-11-2020, 09:40 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,876 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by matt_eglide
I do have long arms and legs and a rather short torso for my height which is why I was leaning toward the 10-12” bars.
Ok, now I understand what's going on here. Like you, I have long legs and a shorter torso, and at 6' 1" I'm using 12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars on my '19 SGS. With my Mustang seat, those 12" bars put my hands right at shoulder height...perfect for me.

I like sitting up higher so my legs aren't all cramped up...looks like you've made some adjustments to your seat/floorboards to help you compensate for your long legs. If that works for you, then you're good to go.

Originally Posted by matt_eglide
The stock EG seat is just so comfy for extra long rides and the wife won’t ride more than 30 minutes with the SG seat so that’s why I have kept it and yes it does put me up higher about 2-3”.

Decisions decisions.
I would stick with the EG seat that you said is comfortable. I'm gonna guess that a guy your height, with your body proportions is going to need at least 12" bars, if you want your arms parallel to the ground and hands at shoulder height...you might even possibly need 14 inchers. If there is any way you can get measurements of the bars you want to buy, and go from there with a cardboard mock up of the bars to see how they fit you and your bike, that would be the way to go. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:19 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
Ok, now I understand what's going on here. Like you, I have long legs and a shorter torso, and at 6' 1" I'm using 12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars on my '19 SGS. With my Mustang seat, those 12" bars put my hands right at shoulder height...perfect for me.

I like sitting up higher so my legs aren't all cramped up...looks like you've made some adjustments to your seat/floorboards to help you compensate for your long legs. If that works for you, then you're good to go.

I would stick with the EG seat that you said is comfortable. I'm gonna guess that a guy your height, with your body proportions is going to need at least 12" bars, if you want your arms parallel to the ground and hands at shoulder height...you might even possibly need 14 inchers. If there is any way you can get measurements of the bars you want to buy, and go from there with a cardboard mock up of the bars to see how they fit you and your bike, that would be the way to go. Good luck.
12 Inch yaffe bars are like a 14 in other brands bars just FYI.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:28 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 567 Likes on 394 Posts

Khromewerks has quite a few choices.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:54 PM
matt_eglide
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson

Thanks, that’s a good idea. I’ve talked to a few of my local HOG buddies about this and they recommended mocking them up with some cheapo pvc pipe once the stockers are off to get an idea of the height with both seats to make sure what I do end up going with will work for both even though they’ll end up being slightly different positions.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:20 PM
matt_eglide
Tourer

Can someone post a pic or 2 from the back of the LA Choppers 10” and 12” twin peaks bars so I can get a better idea of where it will put the grips in relation to the inner fairing??

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2020, 08:58 AM
whiskeyfire
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you go with 10' you'll wish you had gone 12, if you go 12 you'll wish you had gone to 14. I'm 6' 1" and I put 12's on. Wish I had gone 14.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:05 AM
whiskeyfire
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

This is the best I have, hope it helps. These are L.A. Choppers Twin Peaks 12 inch. And yes, I know my garage is a mess.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:57 AM
matt_eglide
Tourer

Thanks, it does. I’m going to roll with the 10” bars as of now for several reasons. Mainly, I can get them on without changing and lines, cables or having to install wiring extensions at the moment.

If and when I get the urge to do higher and I’m sure I will, I will then do it right and internally wire the bars and will also put on the right size length clutch, throttle/idle and brake lines.

Thanks for the help and I’ll post some pics when I’m done to help anyone else.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:27 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,893 Likes on 11,575 Posts

So, sounds like you are planning on doing the 'handlebar swap' twice !!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Handlebar Height - Help Me Decide