Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar Height - Help Me Decide

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 06:23 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,890 Likes on 11,575 Posts

Have someone help you with the measurements....Set on your bike with both feet on the footboards, and hold a broom handle out in front of you where your hands are most comfortable.
Measure height, width, and pull-back....do this a couple 3 times and get an average of what's comfortable.
I went with the 16" Twin Peaks on my R/G....16" is extremely comfortable, the width could have been a couple inches wider, and the pull-back is spot-on.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:33 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Take the smart advice of others, when choosing bar height...it's not a # (10" vs. 12") it's a "measurement." Stop the guesswork & do the proper measuring procedures, then buy away.

The following users liked this post:
ybnorml (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 09:06 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts

If trying to decide between two heights, go with the taller bars. I learned this the hard way. At your size I would suggest 14” bars.

Old 07-10-2020, 09:35 AM
Harleylife1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 628 Likes on 512 Posts

Always go for the taller bars! And always go with wild 1 chubbys when it comes to bars.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:56 PM
SportySmitty
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I’m the one who will say the opposite. I got 12” and wish I had got 10”. On a longer ride my shoulder hurts and hands get numb worse than factory bars.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:10 PM
matt_eglide
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyJK
I have the 10" LA Chopper Twin Peaks and the only reason was I wanted my hands behind the fairing, I am 5'10" and find them the perfect height for me, it's nice to still have the hands behind the fairing for both temps and bugs pinging of them.
Did you need extended clutch cable, extended brake line and extended wiring with the 10” bars?

Old 07-11-2020, 04:24 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,514 Likes on 3,232 Posts

Originally Posted by matt_eglide
Did you need extended clutch cable, extended brake line and extended wiring with the 10” bars?
For the 10" bars you need nothing additional. For most 12's nothing is needed either, although internal wire extensions are used frequently, regardless.

Old 07-11-2020, 12:01 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,876 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by matt_eglide
I do have 2 seats I switch back and forth depending on where I’m riding; the stock Electra Glide seat that’s huuuuge and tall and comfortable but puts me rather high up on the bike and a Street Glide stock seat that I sit about 3” lower on the bike.
This right here is going to screw you up. One set of handlebars is not going to work for both of these seats. If you sized your bars for the Electra Glide seat (and corresponding seat height), those same bars are going to feel way too high when you switch seats to the Street Glide seat (sitting 3" lower). That is a huge difference in seat height.

You need to pick a seat, stick with it, and size your bars to that seat's corresponding height.

Honestly, I don't know why a guy your height would want to sit 3 inches lower in a seat. Aren't your legs cramped up? I don't know...maybe you have short legs and a long torso?

Old 07-11-2020, 03:00 PM
matt_eglide
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
This right here is going to screw you up. One set of handlebars is not going to work for both of these seats. If you sized your bars for the Electra Glide seat (and corresponding seat height), those same bars are going to feel way too high when you switch seats to the Street Glide seat (sitting 3" lower). That is a huge difference in seat height.

You need to pick a seat, stick with it, and size your bars to that seat's corresponding height.

Honestly, I don't know why a guy your height would want to sit 3 inches lower in a seat. Aren't your legs cramped up? I don't know...maybe you have short legs and a long torso?
So I have re-worked the foam and padding in the SG seat to put me about 2” further back but not any lower hardly. I do also have extended floorboards that give me another almost 2” forward than stock and Kury spacers to kick them out and forward another 1” each way. My 36” inseam legs fit perfect and my stock handlebars don’t come close to hitting my knees in a full lock turn.

I do have long arms and legs and a rather short torso for my height which is why I was leaning toward the 10-12” bars.

The stock EG seat is just so comfy for extra long rides and the wife won’t ride more than 30 minutes with the SG seat so that’s why I have kept it and yes it does put me up higher about 2-3”.

Decisions decisions.

Old 07-11-2020, 03:20 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

worst case u can always change them. I bought wild ones 575's at first I wish I had gone taller but the more mile I ride, the happier I am with them. I wanted to keep hands behind the fairing. The kinda cool part for u is with the seat difference if they are to tall or too short u can switch seats and solve the problem.

Quick Reply: Handlebar Height - Help Me Decide