Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:17 PM
ScooterJammer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Filters

Lost1...No disrespect intended, but are these the same HD engineers that recommended HD Syn III in all three holes?

JMHO, YMMV.

ScooterJammer

Old 07-25-2007, 12:59 PM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I just learned that Mobile 1 and K&N filters are made in the same building. I use Mobile 1 filters on my car and truck cause I use Mobile oil. Use Puroltor Pure One on my bike.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ScooterJammer

Lost1...No disrespect intended, but are these the same HD engineers that recommended HD Syn III in all three holes?

JMHO, YMMV.

ScooterJammer
Yes, and as far as I know that recommendaion has resulted in a grand total of zero engine, transmission, or primary gearcase problems and/or failures.
Just out of curiosity, if you have so little faith in them why did you buy a motorcycle designed by those same engineers?

Old 07-25-2007, 04:09 PM
ScooterJammer
Cruiser

"...why did you buy a motorcycle designed by those same engineers?"

Gosh I don't know, I guess it's just habit, since, with the exception of my first motorcycle (124 Gilera) when I was 14-years old, I've never owned anything else.

"Yes, and as far as I know that recommendaion has resulted in a grand total of zero engine, transmission, or primary gearcase problems and/or failures."

Yo, Lost1, can you back that up with MTBF documented facts or is this just a notional viewpoint? I too have a notional viewpoint, that is, there have been reports of accelerated transmission wear by people who have used Syn III exclusively in all three holes.

"...if you have so little faith...?"

Well partner, I don't get in line to drink the Kool-Aid. I think a little skepticism is healthy. I also subscribe to theidea both automotive and motorcycle companies want to sell you new parts and a newvehicles every three years, or so,as a result, theybuild in"planned obsolescence", you may have heardthe term before.Therefore, itmight not be in the MOCO's best interest to have you use a product that will dramatically extend the service length ofa particular component or vehicle since their ultimate goal is to sell more motorcycles and motorcycle parts. Kind of like the reason they stopped installing steel inserts in the engine cases for the Main Drive Shaft Bearings, which made an engine, within reasonable limits, infinitely re-buildable. Do you really think"... those same engineers?" did that for your and my benefit?

This brings us to the old HD oil debate, which as far as I'm concerned, there are better products out there and I choose to use them. You have obviously made a different choice.

Have a great day.

ScooterJammer

Old 07-25-2007, 04:44 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

just odered 6 hd premium 5mcr online, not makin a career out of itprobably better ones and some worse.imo

Old 07-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member

"...why did you buy a motorcycle designed by those same engineers?"

"Gosh I don't know, I guess it's just habit, since, with the exception of my first motorcycle (124 Gilera) when I was 14-years old, I've never owned anything else."

Then I'd say you're a slow learner. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

"Yes, and as far as I know that recommendaion has resulted in a grand total of zero engine, transmission, or primary gearcase problems and/or failures."

"Yo, Lost1, can you back that up with MTBF documented facts or is this just a notional viewpoint? I too have a notional viewpoint, that is, there have been reports of accelerated transmission wear by people who have used Syn III exclusively in all three holes."

Yo, ScooterJammer, as I said- "As far as I know..."
I base my "notional viewpoint" on the lack of factual reports that I have personally seen of any accelerated wear or failures in powertrain components due to the use of Syn3 in all three holes.
According to your post, you base your "notional viewpoint" on "reports of accelerated transmission wear by people who have used Syn III exclusively in all three holes." Apparently I missed these reports- please provide your links to this information as I'm sure everyone would like to see it.

"...if you have so little faith...?"

"...I think a little skepticism is healthy. I also subscribe to theidea both automotive and motorcycle companies want to sell you new parts and a newvehicles every three years, or so,as a result, theybuild in"planned obsolescence", you may have heardthe term before..."

I agree that skepticism is healthy for a consumer, and I do indeed understand the concept of planned obsolescence. However, a company still has to maintain certain levels of quality to uphold their reputation and guarantee repeat buyers (like yourself) so planned obsolescence has to be balanced with long-term reliability. You may have heard that term before...

"...Therefore, itmight not be in the MOCO's best interest to have you use a product that will dramatically extend the service length ofa particular component or vehicle since their ultimate goal is to sell more motorcycles and motorcycle parts..."

From a manufacturing standpoint it makes no sense to build, as you put it, an infinitely rebuildable product. Few manufacturers of any product would stay in business for long if they had no repeat business- that's simple manufacturing economics. And since the Almighty has yet to come to earth and set up shop building mechanical devices, things will continue to break. Such is the nature of an inperfect world. H-D does indeed make money on expired parts, but so does every manufacturer of every mechanical contrivance ever built.
Again it comes back to- if you believe them to be so evil, crooked, and conspiratorial, why continue to fund a system that you obviously resent by buying their product?

"Kind of like the reason they stopped installing steel inserts in the engine cases for the Main Drive Shaft Bearings, which made an engine, within reasonable limits, infinitely re-buildable. Do you really think"... those same engineers?" did that for your and my benefit?"

Maybe, maybe not. But can you back that up with MTBF documented facts or is this just a "notional viewpoint?"
[color="#000000"]
Regards.
[/color

Old 07-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: voodoodrug

just odered 6 hd premium 5mcr online, not makin a career out of it...
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 07-26-2007, 10:07 AM
ScooterJammer
Cruiser

Lost1...

"Then I'd say you're a slow learner." [sm=icon_rofl.gif]Opinions vary.

I'm glad you 're so easily amused, having a sense of humor about youself will get you through a lot in life.

Have nice day

ScooterJammer

Old 07-26-2007, 05:22 PM
sagalong
Advanced

This is an interesting spot.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html