Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best batwing fairing windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 04:45 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

so, how did the bike fare after the tango with the turkey? I hit a doe on 3 jul at 0130 in the morning....6 grand worth of damage. hit her broadside and her torso came around the left side of the bike bending crash bar, breaking lower, bending fender denting the tank and bending the rear crash bar. the bike stayed up and and running. i was able to limp it home. the doe didn't fare so well.
glad all was good.

Old 06-14-2020, 07:44 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by cass
so, how did the bike fare after the tango with the turkey? I hit a doe on 3 jul at 0130 in the morning....6 grand worth of damage. hit her broadside and her torso came around the left side of the bike bending crash bar, breaking lower, bending fender denting the tank and bending the rear crash bar. the bike stayed up and and running. i was able to limp it home. the doe didn't fare so well.
glad all was good.
No problems. Saw the turkey take off from right side of the road so I was prepared for the hit. Had time to duck forward & left so only the bike got hit, not me. Kept the bike up. Had a couple feathers stuck at the windshield/fairing joint, guts & blood along the ride side. Wash, polish & wax was all the was needed erase the evidence.

Turkeys aren't as big as deer. Glad you weren't taken out, but sorry about the damage.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:04 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,277 Likes on 4,445 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe70ss

I pretty much ride between 80 and 90 all the time. The windshield has 1,500 miles on it this season so far but I noticed that the windshield is considerably a cheaper and thinner material than my father in laws 08 ultra classic OEM windshield. I'm thinking reckless fairing sells cheap thin windshields that way you buy their product when you order a fairing
I have been an LRS customer since 2012... my 6 year old LRS shield is starting to crack by the bolt holes..

I've read where it seems that LRS support, pricing, and quality seem to have decreased in the last few years... I believe they may have changed ownership... I could be wrong..

My next shield will be a Freedom Shield.. They appear to be heavier and higher quality than LRS (something you are looking for) and I've yet to read/hear a bad comment on their product...

Good luck with your decision....

Old 06-15-2020, 11:47 AM
Joe70ss
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I have been an LRS customer since 2012... my 6 year old LRS shield is starting to crack by the bolt holes..

I've read where it seems that LRS support, pricing, and quality seem to have decreased in the last few years... I believe they may have changed ownership... I could be wrong..

My next shield will be a Freedom Shield.. They appear to be heavier and higher quality than LRS (something you are looking for) and I've yet to read/hear a bad comment on their product...

Good luck with your decision....
Thank you for the information! I plan on calling them up this week and ordering a new shield. I'll let everyone know how it goes

Old 06-15-2020, 02:24 PM
Hoyt 1911A1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 445 Likes on 385 Posts

I got a LRS recurve about two years ago and have been pleased with it, especially considering how little I paid for it. I don't know if that was before or after any changes were made at the company.

Old 10-16-2020, 03:34 AM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Pale Horse Rider
Have had Freedom Shields and LRS. Freedom is considerably thicker and costs more. Both are great shields. If I have to buy another shield it would be Freedom. You can’t go wrong with either shield.
I've been looking at windshields lately . LRS has gone up considerably .
I've run LRS for years , but quality seems to have slipped & my last 2
shields were both wrong . 1 defective & the 1 they sent to replace it
was for wrong year . My next shield will be Freedom Shield .

Old 10-16-2020, 05:23 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 955 Posts

One (and done) LRS shield for me. It cracked at the bolt holes before a year was up. They refused to help me in any way.

Freedom Shield. To me it's the Rolex of windshields. Nothing but perfection. My Timex shield went to the recycle bin.

The following 2 users liked this post by StoneTrekker:
leadman (10-16-2020), Renegadewolf (10-16-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 06:48 AM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,275 Likes on 3,423 Posts

I run the Harley Wind Splitter. I have a short smoked stock height that I run most of the time, and a 3 inch taller one that I run on multi day long rides. I have had no issues with them, and you just have to be mindful of the torque you put on the screws

Old 10-17-2020, 08:48 AM
ange d mange
Cruiser
Received 132 Likes on 39 Posts

I bought a touring width Freedom Shield from somebody on the forums a while back. Loved it, but it was clear, and I wanted to check out a dark tint shield.
I found Freedom Shield’s eBay site. Picked up a 9” standard width, with a “slight blemish” for 69 bucks shipped.
Couldnt find the blemish, and ride with that shield most of the time.
Best windshield purchase I can recall.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freedomshie...1&_ipg=&_from=

Old 10-17-2020, 10:26 AM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Since the Freedom Shield is thicker I'm wondering if anyone has noticed
any problems with water getting inside fairing since it doesn't seal as good
with the thicker windshield ?

Quick Reply: Best batwing fairing windshield