Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop Tread Wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:32 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dunlop Tread Wear

I replaced my rear tire last week with another Dunlop 402. I still had about 3-4/32 left after 6,100 miles but I didn't want to chance it since we're going to Colorado in a couple of weeks. It also looked fairly flat across the tread instead of rounded like a new one. I usually run 40 psi in the read and most of my riding is two up. Anyway, we went on a two day short trip up to NE Oklahoma. It was a 600 mile trip and when I returned, my center tread had 9/32" depth. I used up 2/32" in just 600 miles. That seems like a lot to me. Has anyone else checked this out?

Old 07-24-2007, 07:39 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Dunlop Tread Wear

what was your load, tire pressure, solo or two up?

Old 07-24-2007, 07:57 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, unless ya read the depth in the *exact* same spot, thar's really no way ta know the accuracy, since depth can vary a bitaround the tire....

Old 07-24-2007, 08:56 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

what was your load, tire pressure, solo or two up?
Like I said in my post, two-up and 40 psi.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:58 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

Also, unless ya read the depth in the *exact* same spot, thar's really no way ta know the accuracy, since depth can vary a bitaround the tire....
Regardless, the new tire had 11/32 all around and 9/32 after 600 miles in the two places that I checked it.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:04 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Understood...but as ah said, it is quite possible fer there ta be variations...

Old 07-24-2007, 09:06 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That seems like a lot of wear to me. The rear tire on my Road King has the same thing going on, the flatness in the middle of the tread. Must just be the way they wear.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:18 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

That flatness is an indicator as to where the greatest amount of wear is. If ya do a lotta highway/straightaway ridin', it's gonna show up thar. Send yer bike ta me, an' ah'll wear them sidewalls down a bit....

Old 07-24-2007, 10:04 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

I replaced my rear tire last week with another Dunlop 402. I still had about 3-4/32 left after 6,100 miles but I didn't want to chance it since we're going to Colorado in a couple of weeks. It also looked fairly flat across the tread instead of rounded like a new one. I usually run 40 psi in the read and most of my riding is two up. Anyway, we went on a two day short trip up to NE Oklahoma. It was a 600 mile trip and when I returned, my center tread had 9/32" depth. I used up 2/32" in just 600 miles. That seems like a lot to me. Has anyone else checked this out?
Dunlop 402's have gone downhill in the past 10 years in terms of wear. My first few MT90's on my old RK lasted 14k+, then later on down to 12k. This new SG has MU85's, which start out at 11/32" (up from 9/32"), and at 9k it has about 2/32" remaining. This isn't acceptable, and after I use up the new 402 I have here now I'm moving to the Elite 3's, which by all accounts last much longer. I'm hearing 12-16k on these, and I can live with that.

I keep pressure at 40 psi cold, don't ride two-up, and am rarely loaded. I weight 170 lbs., so I'm not taxing anything weight-wise, and don't hot-rod around. I even try to use the front brake most of the time to keep the stress off the rear tire.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:18 AM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

interesting discussion/issues. So far on my '07 Ultra I have over 13k on it and not in need (as of yet) to replace the rear nor the front. I was reading in the service manual about the 'tire-tread' and I believe it says to replace the tire when the tread is <= .8mm. This seems awefully 'thin' to me and don't know I would want to follow the service manual and wait till around .8mm tread to replace.

I don't ride the corners hard and do most of my cruisin around 60-80mph and don't utilize WOT very often. I've been pretty pleased thus far with my lops (with the exception of bad rood-groove tracking) and don't anticipate needing to replace the rear around 16k (probably in 6weeks) and just replace to be safe. Comments from ckgdrums about the REAR tire's center being somewhat flat... well they come kinda flat. The front is more rounded and the rear is more flat in the center.

I would tend to think if you are riding out in higher heat (ie 90+ degrees) the roads will be HOT and would tend to think you will go through a little more tread than those who are riding in the 70s-80s. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Dunlop Tread Wear