Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide: HID lights aim low?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 01:21 AM
Dru
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Glide: HID lights aim low?

I have the HD HID lights installed in my bike. The beam seems to just shoot downward.

Please let me know how to adjust the headlights on my 07 Street Glide.

* I do have the service manual but the section only shows photos of a Road Glide and is no help to me.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:06 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Default RE: Street Glide: HID lights aim low?

The screw is at 12 O`clock on the trim ring.
The ring has a rubber seal between it and the lamp.
I removed my trim ring by removing the retainer screw at 6 O`clock. Adjusted the headlamp and reinstalled the ring and seal.
I`m not willing to punch a hole in the seal to adjust it. Just takes a second to remove it.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:34 AM
kingultra
Cruiser

I was interested in one of these myself, but I can not find the part number on HD's sight. was this discontinued? What is the part number?

Old 07-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Dru
Cruiser

Thanks drdiesel, I will give it a go tonight.

kingultra, I do not have the part number, I just told the dealer i wanted it before picking up the bike. Also, as bright as the light is, I can not recommend it as the beam is very narrow (====) and does not go OUT far enough.

Hopefully adjusting it will help.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:57 PM
hdramon07
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, as bright as the light is, I can not recommend it as the beam is very narrow (====) and does not go OUT far enough.
Please report back after the adjustment. I am considering HID for my Ultra, but I am undecided on HD's version or the one Kuryakyn sells.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like mine and orginally had an issue with the same, it was to low. I finally tinkered with mine enough to get it higher and lighting up the road to my liking. I have heard a few that actually take the trim ring off and the lamp assy which adjusts, remove the top adjustment screw with spring (12 o'clock) and trim off (with a cutting disk of a side grinder or die grinder) some of the spring to allow adjustment even further.

You need to ride with someone that has one on another bike to see if you really like it. The HID is not for everyone. You can get a lot brighter, and better focus with a Sylvinia SilverStart Ultra "H-4" bulb then spending $530.00 something for the H-D HID lamp assy.

That being said, I'm very please with mine. Even more so with the passing lamps also upgraded to 55watt bulbs, with the wiring changed to allow them to run with the Hi-beam on.

But, I'm totally disappointed with the H-D HID "HI" beam. They have used an odd bulb "H-8" which is only 35 watts.

Since I have modified my custom HID wiring, my low beam stays on (the HID) when I switch to "Hi" Beam. The effect is that with the Halogen H-8 bulb from the H-D lamp, that its a beam (Hi) thrown so far down the road with a tight round spot, it can not be noticed hardly at all unless your on an extreamly straight road with "zero" lighting ona cloudy night. So I don't run my Hi beam at all.

I've seen several others that I think would have been a lot better choice in the long run.

Due yourself a favor, look at all them in various night lighting and in the rain too, before you decide. Or just run a SilverStar and save the bucks.