Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal characteristic of the batwing or is there a problem with my SG

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Is this normal characteristic of the batwing or is there a problem with my SG

I purchased a touring bike because I expected a great ride at highway speeds but I'm not happy. Here's the situation: my SG is very stable and planted to the road when driving on 2 lane country roads but as soon as I get on an interstatewith a littlebreeze andcruising around 70mph, every now and then,I feel like the tires do a little wiggle starting from the front tire. It's would almost be described as a floating feeling. The bike looses that solid feel.
Is this a normal characteristic of the batwing or do I have a problem? Does anyone else get this sensation under those conditions?
I even have a Touring XR stabilizer installed and have a pair of Progressive 440's on order.
This bike was involved in an accident last year. The frame was changed and the right fork was replaced. Don't know if this may have something to do with this.
The last bike I had with a fairing was a 750 Honda with a Windjammer fairing. That was steady as a rock.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:35 PM
HogmanFLHX
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is this normal characteristic of the batwing or is there a problem with my SG

The only time I get that feeling is when I am on a freeway that has the rain grooves. Can't recall that feeling on asphalt.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:54 PM
azhole
Road Master
Default RE: Is this normal characteristic of the batwing or is there a problem with my SG

I agree with the paved surface making the difference. Only time my bike feels really funky is when it changes to a different/oddly surfaced road. I start wondering if I'm getting ready to have a major problem, but know it started with the pavement change.
I would suspect the frame.
Do you have same brand tires front and rear?
Is your fork fluid correct and to proper volume in both forks, if it makes a difference?

Old 07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a rk custom, so it is a bit deiiferent. I use to ride all the time with my sheild on, on the highways. I have never felt a wobble. At least not one that was not caused by the sh!tty roads we have here in NM. There is a difference in the sheild and batwing, however, both are mounted to the forks. I wonder if something was not set up correctly when the bike was reassembled.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:13 AM
JC650
Road Captain

No problems here with the feel or handling of the bike on the highway. I would wonder about the repairs as well.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:18 AM
fishafly
Road Master

Prior to my current RK I owned a SG, I sold it for the exact reason you are mentioning... At Highway speeds I was scared sh1tless.. It was very odd... Did not feel stable AT ALL... Sold it bought my King and have never looked back...

Old 07-24-2007, 12:21 AM
fishafly
Road Master

Having said that I ride wth a guy who is 71... he has a SG and he'll set his CC on the big slab and ride for miles hands free... But the one I had was definately not in an accident..

Old 07-24-2007, 12:33 AM
SBFD8
Cruiser

My 07 Ultra had a wobble and it turned out to be a bad front tire from the factory plus they said my motor mounts were not correctly aligned I think. Also with the Dunlops they seem to follow every groove in the road and give you an uneasy feeling. Hope this may give you some idea . Good luck

Old 07-24-2007, 12:58 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

Tires, Pressures, Rear suspension pressuresetting and maybe a fork with improper oil level compared to the one that was not replaced.
Also True-Track would be a good Idea.
Rain groves will make it wobble too.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:17 AM
mtpoland
Cruiser

I have an 07 SG and the only problem I've experienced is the rear steer. I am usually on the Interstate running in the 85 to 90 mph range. My bike is nice and steady.
You might want to have the forks checked and make sure the seals are good and the fluid levels are equal. Also check to make sure the neck/triple trees are adjusted and verify the front tire is okay and the front wheel is true (not bent)and balanced.
Including my bike, I've ridden 3 Batwing Harleys and have not had the problem you're describing.

Quick Reply: Is this normal characteristic of the batwing or is there a problem with my SG