Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal characteristic of the batwing or is there a problem with my SG

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:47 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is this normal characteristic of the batwing or is there a problem with my SG

My 06 Ultra does that on occasions, I have a set of the adj. H/D vents on my fairing and when I close them, it settles down and The problem goes away. Its only on certain roads or wind. Mine does it more when I ride alone, with wife on it doesn,t do it very much or not at all. I,m wondering if it,s not the bike/fairing angle? Dan

Old 07-24-2007, 06:54 AM
TODDNVAL
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Is this normal characteristic of the batwing or is there a problem with my SG

ORIGINAL: dgriffith

My 06 Ultra does that on occasions, I have a set of the adj. H/D vents on my fairing and when I close them, it settles down and The problem goes away. Its only on certain roads or wind. Mine does it more when I ride alone, with wife on it doesn,t do it very much or not at all. I,m wondering if it,s not the bike/fairing angle? Dan
I bought my 07 SG new and it does this also, but when I installed the HD fairing lowers it solved it. I thought it was all in my head until I took my lowers off one afternoon for a ride and it done it again, the lowers haven't been off my bike since, not to mention how much better you can hear the radio with them on. My lowers are just the stationary ones from HD, they only list for $30.00 and can be installed in about 5 minutes.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:00 AM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I used a True trac and lowered the front with a progressive kitto get ride of the same thing. No problems since even on real windy days....

Old 07-24-2007, 07:10 AM
0204665J
Tourer

I often feel the same thing while riding on the inter-states, but not quite as you describe (wiggle). I feel more like being push around. I can ride country road and 2 lane highway and never have that feeling. but onlarge inter-states with multi-lanes and traffic it sometimes feels unstable. I have new new Met's 880 tires, Progressive 440 and a true track.Lots of wind sometimes to deal with on interstates with the multilanes, cars, and semi-trucks.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:15 AM
Scooter_092196
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get that "floating" feeling ever now and then on my 06 Electra Glide Classic. It almost feels like the wind/air flow gives the bike an upward push on the fairing to give you a floating feeling. I'm going to pick up some of the lower air deflectors and see if that helps.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:16 AM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

Might sound weird, but depending on leg position, I get odd sensations. I have big feet (Size 15) and I guess they act like ski's... But if you have a lot of consistent wobble, I think you might want to have other folks ride your rig and get their impressions. I can do weird things to make the bike act weird, but normal riding gets normal handling. I would take a hard look at the front end. Tire, forks (may be unevenly damping) and slightly out of alignment.

My SG (when running) will eat slab for breakfast! Hope you figure it out!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:50 AM
HogBack
Road Master

ORIGINAL: fishafly

Prior to my current RK I owned a SG, I sold it for the exact reason you are mentioning... At Highway speeds I was scared sh1tless.. It was very odd... Did not feel stable AT ALL... Sold it bought my King and have never looked back...
Did not have a SG, but had enough of the same with my FLHTC... that is one reason I went FLHR and never had anything similiar sine I got the RK....

Old 07-24-2007, 08:55 AM
DLW_FLHTC
Road Warrior

I do not have the feeling on the highway. I did have it last night in downtown Chicago going over one of the metal bridges felt like ice for an instant.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:01 AM
BrewGod
Advanced

Sorry to say, it's the road, not your bike.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:29 AM
alexcue
Road Master

funny i get that feeling after my wife gets off the bike. Meaning if i i ride 2 up the bike feels more planted, and it requires more steering input from me.

Once she is off and I'm riding solo the front end feels real light, i have to be gentle with the steering input. Takes me a several minutes to get used to it again. Most of the time i attribute it to the front tire "gripping" the rain grooves, but i get used to the sensation and all is well.

Quick Reply: Is this normal characteristic of the batwing or is there a problem with my SG