Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96" Motor Upgrades - Anyone done any yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:59 PM
tom73
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96" Motor Upgrades - Anyone done any yet?

Just curious if anyone has done any upgrades internally to their 96" engine yet? I am sure someone has but after searching I couldn't come up with anything. For any of those who can offer me some ideas / recommendations, I welcome the feedback.

My current ride is an '07 FLHX. I came off of an 03' Softail that I did a 95" kit on which included heads ported. I never upgraded the throttle body. While I love the new bike I miss the power of the old bike. What I am looking for in the new build is TORQUE! Peak numbers are not important but a very flat curve is what I am looking for.

Some of my questions are:
Heads - Harley heads or taking them to a proven shop for porting?
Throttle Body _ Worth the cost to upgrade?
Cams - Recommendations. The last ones I used gave me great peak numbers but the powerband was 3500 rpm and up. Not what I plan on for the bagger.
Does using Harley parts help with reslae / trade? Not that I plan on it but if I am torn between 2 it could be the difference maker.
Has anyone done cams only? This would be the least expensive option.
If I am going to do the heads the 103" kit is a given but if I do cams only would it be neccessary.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:05 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 96" Motor Upgrades - Anyone done any yet?

Call someone like HeadQuarters or R&R and talk to them about "packages" that meet your needs.

For a typical 103" build, a larger ($$$) TB would not be necessary. While it might slightly increase the HP #'s at the very tip top, it WILL hurt torque down low.

You should be able to get a nice, very "rideable" 103" Bagger build from either of them that will easily make 115/115 and not have to break the bank to get it.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:19 PM
StreetglideOK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read a couple places of builders bragging they have made at or close to 100/100 without goin to 103, and with the 103 cylinders, getting 110 or so? Ive got the same ride as you, so Ive been snooping as well, winter project maybe. I keep reading, have the stock heads ported, and go with a mild cam. Im still looking and reading myself, not alot of info out there yet!

Old 07-23-2007, 09:17 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: tom73

Just curious if anyone has done any upgrades internally to their 96" engine yet? I am sure someone has but after searching I couldn't come up with anything. For any of those who can offer me some ideas / recommendations, I welcome the feedback.

My current ride is an '07 FLHX. I came off of an 03' Softail that I did a 95" kit on which included heads ported. I never upgraded the throttle body. While I love the new bike I miss the power of the old bike. What I am looking for in the new build is TORQUE! Peak numbers are not important but a very flat curve is what I am looking for.

Some of my questions are:
Heads - Harley heads or taking them to a proven shop for porting?
Throttle Body _ Worth the cost to upgrade?
Cams - Recommendations. The last ones I used gave me great peak numbers but the powerband was 3500 rpm and up. Not what I plan on for the bagger.
Does using Harley parts help with reslae / trade? Not that I plan on it but if I am torn between 2 it could be the difference maker.
Has anyone done cams only? This would be the least expensive option.
If I am going to do the heads the 103" kit is a given but if I do cams only would it be neccessary.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I'm not quite as ambitious as you but am going through the same search, concentrating on a cam change only. So far, I haven't found what I'm looking for. I'm impressed by the effect of cams like the Andrews 26 on earlier TC's, but early dyno charts I've seen reveal that they may not be so special in a TC96. I'm looking for low-end and mid-range TQ and HP is secondary, almost unimportant to me. The two examples I've seen show very little increase in TQ for one, less on the other compared to my stock cam with a good canned map (PCIII).

Another problem is the lack of canned maps for the PCIII, as to my knowledge there just aren't any. Jamie at Fuel Moto promised some toward the end of the summer, and I'll wait around and see if something interesting arises.

If you were interested in bumping your 96" up to 103", I'm sure there are more opportunities there, but I'm not going the BB route for just a few extra HP and probably no additional TQ.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:28 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,737 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Like Phil said go with big picture in mind using proven combo, otherwise you end up buying parts twice that are not compatable. I lost power using Harley SE heads. Have yours ported or buy a take off set and have them done to save down time. I dissagree on losing torque with throttle body. I did not lose any torque switching to 57 mm Kuryakyn throttle body, they only flow what the engine can take. Use a good Race Tuner or some other compatable brand that works well for dialing in the injection. Go to a GOOD dyno tuner and spend the money it will be worth it. I picked up about 10 more horse using good tuner over my first tune.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:47 PM
tom73
Tourer

Thanks for the heads up guys. I will surely post any other findings I have. One thing I have read is that you have to be careful not to oversize the TB as it is not neccessarily the volume that flows into the heads but the velocity. A larger bore TB will slow the speed in which the mixture flows into the combustion chamber. I am only repeating what I have heard but it does make sense to me.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:30 AM
nidan
Road Warrior

I did the 103 Stage II /SERT /SE slip-ons nice boost across the band.

After warranty , I'll probably go with T-man CNC heads and matching .590 cams

Old 07-25-2007, 07:34 AM
nidan
Road Warrior

Here is a Dyno from a 103 Latus did with SE 257, Tman heads, Latus Tbody Boarszilla pipes /SERT etc 119.96Hp/115.91 lbs ft

[IMG]local://upfiles/14246/163AC7CF8F3B49CD8CE7266B89B1A91A.gif[/IMG]

Old 07-25-2007, 07:38 AM
nidan
Road Warrior

Another 103 with T-man heads and T-man .590 cams etc 130.23Hp/126.54 lbs ft

[IMG]local://upfiles/14246/71BD3C4EE2E34F01BFB63FE667E89D52.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-25-2007, 08:57 PM
tom73
Tourer

Nidan thanks for the dyno sheets. Tman? I never heard of them. Do you have any contact info for them?

Quick Reply: 96" Motor Upgrades - Anyone done any yet?