Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tourer Training Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007 | 07:34 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Tourer Training Wheels

I also think they look dumb - However, before I was to bad mouth someone - I would try and walk in their shoes first - there may be a very good medical reason and at least they are still trying to ride - I saw a very large woman pull intoa local HD last month on a sidecar bike - watch her have a hell of a time trying to park that thing - Ya, I started laughing (to myself - stupid chick) Then I saw her get off and grab a crutch out of the side car - This rider had only one leg - Now that is a biker.... She was missing her left leg and we talked and she showed how the bike was set up - This is one tough gal - so be carefull before you critizie someones ride

Old 07-23-2007 | 07:45 PM
curlydee
Road Master

I am not passing judgement that could be me in a few years or sooner, who knows. I will try to stay out of everyones elses way.

Old 07-23-2007 | 07:47 PM
KCBULLDOG
Cruiser

Saw a bunch of that same setup at Sturgis last year. I was suprised at the number in use.

Old 07-23-2007 | 08:11 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master

A very good friend of mine had a rig similar to this installed on his 97 Ultra after a botched back surgery left him unable to ride on two wheels. It is called a "Voyager". He can now enjoy his lifestyle and do 500-600 miles per day on a long trip. He let me try it out once, and now matter what you try to do (within reason) you CANNOT flip the bike over!

Old 07-23-2007 | 08:24 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Saw my first one last year at a bike event; the owner was a diabled Vietnam vet who no longer could handle the Electra Glide he loved to ride without the extra wheels.

I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the people operating those bikes would prefer not to have the extra wheels orspend the $$$ to put them on their bikes, don't like the appearance of the bike with them, don't like the extra attention and the thoughts some folks (especially other bikers) have when they see them, but put up with all of that to keep riding.

Old 07-23-2007 | 09:24 PM
77earp
Cruiser

The Voyager set-up is being applied to many foul weather region Police bikes. Allows for year-round riding, and is far more manuverable than sidecar rigs, formerly used. Plenty of articles about there use. They even include a built-in tow hitch.

Old 07-23-2007 | 10:01 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member

There are a couple of those around here. I darn near fell off my bike the first time I saw them. It took me a while to figure out what was going on, not a trike, but actually training wheels. Different. BTW, I have even seen them on sporties...........

Old 07-23-2007 | 10:11 PM
serverpimp
Cruiser

Wow! $4695 + $750 to install (if you choose them). Hats off to those willing to spend that kind of money to keep on riding.

Old 07-23-2007 | 10:27 PM
WOLFE1584
Cruiser

The unit is called a landing gear. A sensor lets the rear wheels know when the bike is coming to a stop and the (training) wheels come down by themselves. Pull away and the wheels automatically retract. A friend of mine's father had them installed on his Goldwing. He was 78 and loved to ride. Think about it ... What would you do ???

Old 07-24-2007 | 01:01 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm pretty sure 99.9% of the people operating those bikes would prefer not to have the extra wheels orspend the $$$ to put them on their bikes, don't like the appearance of the bike with them, don't like the extra attention and the thoughts some folks (especially other bikers) have when they see them, but put up with all of that to keep riding.
I have to agree with that. Most elderly folks would rather not have to use a cane or a walker, but if that's the only way to get around outside of a wheelchair, then let them.

Quick Reply: Tourer Training Wheels