Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up my 08 SG today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 05:33 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: Picked up my 08 SG today.

Congrats on the new bike. It looks fun!
My dealer is talking MSRP and 10 percent off accessories, sound about right for an 08 bagger?

Old 07-24-2007, 08:04 AM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chuck1

Congrats on the new bike. It looks fun!
My dealer is talking MSRP and 10 percent off accessories, sound about right for an 08 bagger?
I got mine at MSRP. Most dealers will thowing some additions. I got 20% off all parts, free 1000 mi. check up, free lifetime inspections, and 20%, 15%, and 10% future service discounts.

Just make sure the ba$tards give you a free t-shirt.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:13 AM
bonz50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Richard

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: bonz50

i'm not gonna get into a huge break-in argument, its about as fruitful and useful as a discussion about which oil to use... but........ this link is worth reading, i've been breaking in motors for 15+ yrs like this and i NEVER have problems (cars, bikes, sleds, atv's, whatever)... http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

edit - oh, and congrats bobros!!!! ride the pi$$ out of it and report back...
Not to ignite the debate, but the "ride it like you stole it" argument for break-in procedure is questionable for one good reason. I've been breaking-in motors for 45 years and have never once seen a manufacturer recommend a break-in procedure like that. If it was advisable, you would eventually see somebody recommend it.

There just covering there a$$
***edit - apologies for the hijack***

exactly, if you read the entire article it goes into some pretty common sense reasons why the manual says what it says, and precisely why its BS as well... the manufacturers have to write manuals to satisfy lawyers and dumb them down to the lowest common denominator... also, i have yet to read any rationale or reasonable explanation from the manufacturer (be it car, bike, atv, or even chainsaw) that gives any kind of reasoning other than "because we said so"... also, and stay with me on this, it is possible that the manufacturer (in its own best interest) knows that poor stock performance will cause the owner to buy performance parts and over time need to replace existing worn parts with expensive oem parts and take it to their dealers to have serviced, etc... call me a skeptic, but i question the motives of the manufacturer when it comes to bleeding my pocket book dry...

I wouldn't suggest "ride it like you stole it", but, i wouldn't suggest ride it like a putz either... ride it how its going to be ridden the rest of its life...

fwiw - here's an email recieved by mototuneusa.com, I'd say an MMI instructor endorsement is a pretty strong indication of the validity of this theory...

" MotoMan:

I appreciate the Power News E-mails !! As a matter of fact, I swear by your website.I'm aninstructor at Motorcycle Mechanic's Institute in Phoenix, Arizona where I teach4-strokeperformance. Part of our curriculum covers head flow, flow benches andporting.

Needless to say, I've incorporated much of the info from Power Newsinto my presentation (with the proper credit) and encourage my students tovisit the site for additional information.

Again, many thanks for providing this information that some refuse to
divulgeor have a need to charge for.

Regards,
~Mr. Kohlbrecher"

Old 07-24-2007, 08:40 AM
HogBack
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats of the new bike! See ya later gang...off to looks at the website...(thanks I was not aware it was updated to the new models...)