Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of an 07 over an 06

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:12 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Value of an 07 over an 06

Some of you may have read I am considering trading my 06 Street Glide in on an 07 Road Glide. The dealer is only giving me $12,700 in trade but is knocking $1300 off of MSRP. The trade-in value is what is killing me. I know with alot of time and patience I might be able sell it privately for $16.5 or so. But who knows. So I started looking at the value of what I would be getting compared to what I was trading. These are things that I plan to or could do to make my 06 SG that the 07 already has.

These are prices for just parts.

$2000 - 6 speed tranny upgrade
$1049 - 95" upgrade
$339 - cruise control (which I could never do anyway because I have a carb)
$300 - passenger floorboard kit
$400 - suspension upgrade

Total - $4088

So that is $4k that if I trade I don't have to spend. So I could look at it like getting a $21k (value-wise) bike for a little over $16k. Is this a good way of looking at it to make the low trade-in value not look that bad???? Or am I just blowing smoke up my own ***??

Old 07-23-2007, 08:16 AM
MJK
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Value of an 07 over an 06

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

Or am I just blowing smoke up my own ***??
I would say you are just ^

but if it helps soften the blow / sleep at night, then go for it.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:26 AM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I spoke my dealer the other day, he stated trading in is a brutal game. Selling outright yourself, hmmm consider the cost of advertising the frustrations of people kicking tires and wasting your time; in todays climate not sure if you would come out ahead. If he is knocking 1300 off msrp, then it probably isnt bad. The question is what happens if u sell it yourself, is he still gonna give u 1300 off or will u pay sticker??
Just curious, why are you trading to a RG?? I have a RG and was curious how the SG was riding two up all the time??
Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: nedster
I spoke my dealer the other day, he stated trading in is a brutal game. Selling outright yourself, hmmm consider the cost of advertising the frustrations of people kicking tires and wasting your time; in todays climate not sure if you would come out ahead. If he is knocking 1300 off msrp, then it probably isnt bad. The question is what happens if u sell it yourself, is he still gonna give u 1300 off or will u pay sticker??
Just curious, why are you trading to a RG?? I have a RG and was curious how the SG was riding two up all the time??
Good luck with your decision.

You know I never even thought to ask about buying outright. Of course by the time I sell it the 07 would probably be gone. And the special financing rates end the end of this month. For some reason used bikes do not sell well around here. So that leaves ebay and cycletrader for a broader exposure. I could end up spending hundres of dollars and not even selling it.

Looking at trading to a RG for a better ride and better handling. We have logged over 8k miles in the year I have owned the SG. For two-up on shorter rides (200 miles or less) it is fine. But we find that on days when we do 500+ miles it just beats us up.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:56 AM
nedster
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks, I hadjust seen an 08 SG in that new Crimson red and it had me thinking about trading. But my concerns with the SG was the lowered suspension. We ride 700 to 800 miles on the weekends and I rarely ride solo. I know I will get spanked on my 04 RG it has 35K on it, I have the 95 inch kit, but that does not matter on a trade.
Hmmmmmmmmm, Crimson red 08 RG maybe the ticket!!

Old 07-23-2007, 09:05 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Here's the value equation:

A: If you do all of the mods on your '06 yourself, forget about the tax on new parts valuing $4,088 and place no value on your time at the end of the day you have a 95" , 6 speed two year old batwing tourer with floor boards and you haveinvested $3,749 ($4,088 minus cruise) beyond the current value of the bike.

B: If you trade the SG for a new RG you end up with a new'08, 96", 6 speed, fixed fairing, Shark nose tourerwith all of the bells and whistles you indicated you wanted to add to the SG plus cruise for approx $4,372 (including tax,but $0 delivery and prep). Throw in $600 for freight and prep wer're talking approx $4,900 out the door.

Approx $1,150 difference scenario A vs scenario B. Close enough to be considered a push.

I believe the question is "Do you really want/need/prefer a RG? Just my .02

Old 07-23-2007, 09:08 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

P.S.: Under the BTW category. Good luck with whatever decision you make.....This is definitely a WIN-WIN kind of decision. Either way you end up with a great bike.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:15 AM
IdaSpudSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't leave the family and go to the dark side. J/K. I have to ask, why not an 07 SG instead of the RG, just wondering.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

peddler: That gave me a headache and I can't say I really understand looking at it that way.

IdaspudSG: The whole purpose I am even considering this is to go to a Road Glide. I was not just looking to get an 07. But for the prices used 06's I have seen compared to an 07, the 07 with the added goodies was a no-brainer.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:35 AM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you already have yourself talked into it. You are not going to beat the finance rate on the 07's. IMHO, if the RG is truely what you want -- go for it. But if there is any doubt, pass. Another deal is always around the corner. The RG will still beat you up on longer rides, just not as bad as the SG. I am looking into what aftermarket seat I want to put on mine. Going to Myrtle Beach for the fall rally this year. Want to sit on as many seats as possible to see which one I like. Good luck on your trade and let us know how you like the new RG.

Have you done any mods on your SG? Depending on what you have done, some of the parts will fit the RG and you can take those parts off prior to trading and put them on the RG. I see in your pic that you have a sissy bar. I am pretty sure it wil fit the RG.

Quick Reply: Value of an 07 over an 06