Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Harley, getting 2020 RGL -- What should I know?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 04:00 PM
azgrumbles
Road Captain

Received 281 Likes on 140 Posts

Don’t expect this beast to go where you want, when you want like a GW. Took an adjustment period after I sold my F6B. You must plan your maneuvers further ahead of time LOL

Old 05-05-2020, 04:59 PM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,651 Likes on 6,279 Posts

My 2020 RGL is the nicest motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden. I absolutely love it!

Go for it....

The following users liked this post:
SpyGoat (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 05:06 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Welcome and enjoy! Best bike out of the bunch!

SpyGoat (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 07:44 PM
SpyGoat
Grand HDF Member
Received 8,885 Likes on 2,700 Posts

2020 RGS is probably the most capable large bike I've ever ridden.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:29 PM
shineola
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

make sure you put on ape hangers on it.

TodPedro (05-06-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 08:44 AM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 893 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by GoofySB
Probably the number 1 thing I wish I knew when I got my 2002 Road King was that if you come to a stop with the front brake and the front wheel turned, it's going down due to weight transfer. So when coming to a stop, use the rear brake or have the the front wheel straight. Maybe fixed for 2020 or earlier, maybe not, I don't know. Enjoy and welcome to the forum.
Umm, basic rider skill. Only use the rear brake with stopping for this exact reason. Doesn't matter what bike you have, however weight can play into it.
I know allot of us riders like to use the front brake to stop so both feet are down when we stop.
We are asking for trouble when we do this. Yes, I'm guilty of it too.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:21 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Be forewarned, the bike is just the down payment. None of us can leave well enough alone, and this forum is great for making money fly out of your wallet!

Seriously though, don't think you could have picked a better bike to start with than a Road Glide Limited.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:17 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Hecklerboy
Umm, basic rider skill. Only use the rear brake with stopping for this exact reason. Doesn't matter what bike you have, however weight can play into it.
I know allot of us riders like to use the front brake to stop so both feet are down when we stop.
We are asking for trouble when we do this. Yes, I'm guilty of it too.
Funny, I have had several motor officers, swear by using front brake, at slow speed, tarmac stops, just so you can put both feet down. Slippery sand or gravel is another issue altogether.

Personally, due mostly to habit, I use the rear, but I definitely use the front when needed. I have a friend that will ONLY use his front to hold him on a hill. Might as well remove it then.

Reminds me of a story of a young construction framer, gripping his hammer halfway up the handle, to drive nails. Seeing this, an old timer asked to borrow his hammer. When he got it, he proceeded to cut off the bottom half of the handle, and gave it back to him. Shocked and angry, the young guy asked why he did that. The old guy replied, "if you are only going to use half the handle, no sense swinging all that extra weight,"

Old 05-08-2020, 11:25 PM
RedSlayer43
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stopping power

Having just skidded through a red light, I would advise taking her out into a parking lot and seeing the stopping distance with both the rear and front brake... I tried using the rear only and locked the wheel up and totally blew a red light nothing I wasn’t going to stop in time... after that I went back to using the front brake to make sure I had her right.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:34 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Don't lug the engine (<2500 RPM). These things make a lot of torque, combined with the rubber mounting and balance system it's easy to let the RPMS fall too low without feeling it. If in doubt rev it up, the M8 enjoys what some deem to be high RPMs. If you wont be riding it for more than 2 weeks the use of a battery maintainer is a must, so much so that the lead is prewired in from the factory and should be routed during setup to be accessible. When checking the oil make sure it's in the middle of full and add, people who fill them to the absolute full mark quickly learn that by doing that you'll end up with oil dripping from the air cleaner - It's not indicative of a problem, just a characteristic.

Quick Reply: New to Harley, getting 2020 RGL -- What should I know?