Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Harley, getting 2020 RGL -- What should I know?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 11:12 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Omega
I figured. Couple comments, on the first HD experience. I got the same results as you, and my opinion, is it was because their bikes were selling themselves, and usually above list price, so some, many, dealers got snobby. They put off a LOT of people. I blame HD main office for that, since they were under producing bikes to keep it that way. I, too, held off buying.

The only issue with the VTX and other metrics, is aftermarket support. Did they ever make a true touring VTX? Honda missed it on that one. They put all their pennies in the GW. A mistake in my opinion.

I know the Vulcans had some serious oil pump issues early on. Did the VTX have any of those kind of problems. I actually considered a Vulcan till I read up on changing out the oil pump involved splitting the cases. I mean, come on, a 2005 1500cc bagger with 10k for $3200? It was tempting, but figured if I had to have a dealer split the cases, I would be rapidly approaching HD prices anyway.

I love my Ultra, but money talks in my budget.

Enjoy your new bike.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:15 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Oh, what part of OH you from? I was born in Xenia, still have family near Ashville. Army sent me to the west coast in '72, been here ever since. Except for a short tour in West Germany.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:28 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,637 Likes on 1,169 Posts

The kickstand, jiffy stand in harley lingo. When you park on a slight downhill, don't wet yourself when the bike moves forward a bit. The jiffy stand will keep the bike up. Get use to it.

The following users liked this post:
TodPedro (05-05-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 11:40 AM
Omega2k5
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
Omega
I figured. Couple comments, on the first HD experience. I got the same results as you, and my opinion, is it was because their bikes were selling themselves, and usually above list price, so some, many, dealers got snobby. They put off a LOT of people. I blame HD main office for that, since they were under producing bikes to keep it that way. I, too, held off buying.

The only issue with the VTX and other metrics, is aftermarket support. Did they ever make a true touring VTX? Honda missed it on that one. They put all their pennies in the GW. A mistake in my opinion.

I know the Vulcans had some serious oil pump issues early on. Did the VTX have any of those kind of problems. I actually considered a Vulcan till I read up on changing out the oil pump involved splitting the cases. I mean, come on, a 2005 1500cc bagger with 10k for $3200? It was tempting, but figured if I had to have a dealer split the cases, I would be rapidly approaching HD prices anyway.

I love my Ultra, but money talks in my budget.

Enjoy your new bike.
Thanks! I am in the Dayton area. Not far from Xenia.
I agree on the VTX, Honda really screwed up there and I have had no issues with mine. 18 years old, about 30k miles (had 2 back surgeries is why the low miles). Only changed oil/tires. etc. ridden to TX from Ohio in August, all over Ohio, TN/NC for Dragon etc. SOLID bike.

Thanks for the info all, I really appreciate it.

This comment may get lost of flack, but I am not really an accessories kind of guy. Seat, Pipes, pegs. Other wise I usually dont change things. Still have the stock grips on my VTX and the '82 Maxum my dad gave me.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:40 AM
Omega2k5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RKZen
The kickstand, jiffy stand in harley lingo. When you park on a slight downhill, don't wet yourself when the bike moves forward a bit. The jiffy stand will keep the bike up. Get use to it.
Too late, happened when I pulled back in from the test ride LOL.

TodPedro (05-05-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 12:47 PM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,627 Likes on 2,387 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega2k5
I am sure this thread can get big

I have been lurking for a long time, and finally registered to participate in this community.
I am looking for any wisdom that can be imparted about Harley touring bikes, mechanical, riding, anything you all can think of.

A bit about me. 46, got my first bike when I was 8, NEVER been with out a bike, had/have Hondas, Kawi, Yammies,(even a Chaparral) cruisers, sport bikes, goldwing, dirtbikes etc. thought I would change it up and try making memories on a new bike.

Look forward to getting to know you all!

Jason
Welcome to the forums!

First and foremost, pics or it didn't happen.

As for tips and insights into the road glide, a few things to consider:

- Consider investing in some shocks. The stock shocks are universally known as being crappy, so look there first IMHO if you plan to invest in the bike. Öhlins, Legends, Pro Action or RWD are the most frequently cited shocks as top tier here. Lots of threads on the subject, though for whatever reason people get territorial and snarky when discussing shocks around here.

- IMHO the detachable tour pack is a nice mod. Gives your bike more flexibility.

- Get a sense from your service department how aggressive they'll be on voiding your warranty if you do some upgrades. Seems like some shops are more flexible than others. Some will void if you do anything other than screaming eagle upgrades to the exhaust system and engine. Others may allow you to keep your warranty if they install certain brands for slip-ons or air filter. Just make sure you're aware of your warranty when upgrading.

- Not sure if the 19s or 20s fixed the issue, but the 18 road glide clutch is incredibly stiff. Takes some getting used to.

- Looks like you've owned some big, heavy bikes (e.g., Goldwing) in the past. The Road Glide is clearly a heavy beast, so just make sure your skills handling a big bike are up to snuff. If not, check out the Ride Like a Pro training videos (available on youtube and can order them). Good investment for those riding big and heavy touring bikes.

And finally, have fun. Road glide is an awesome motorcycle.

Omega2k5 (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 01:22 PM
Omega2k5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wolverinehusky
Welcome to the forums!

First and foremost, pics or it didn't happen. .
LOL all I have this the deposit paper work right now. They are hunting for a Scorched Orange one for me. Pics to be shortly after

Old 05-04-2020, 01:28 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,659 Likes on 2,537 Posts

"got my first bike when I was 8, NEVER been with out a bike,"
Sure you have..from the day you were born until 7.
Sorry; couldn't resist it's the NYC wiseass in me.

All you need to know...the best accessory you can have when you buy a new Harley...is a tube of KY jelly.

RiderX (05-09-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 01:44 PM
Omega2k5
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dickey
"got my first bike when I was 8, NEVER been with out a bike,"
Sure you have..from the day you were born until 7.
Sorry; couldn't resist it's the NYC wiseass in me.

All you need to know...the best accessory you can have when you buy a new Harley...is a tube of KY jelly.
So this is a bad statement? Are you regretting having one?

PS love the smart *** comment... I should have qualified it better LOL

Old 05-04-2020, 03:18 PM
SpyGoat
Grand HDF Member
Received 8,885 Likes on 2,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega2k5
So this is a bad statement? Are you regretting having one?

PS love the smart *** comment... I should have qualified it better LOL
Dickey wipes his *** with a dish rag...don't put too much stock in what he says..he's probably dying of dysentery.

DanHappy (05-05-2020)

Quick Reply: New to Harley, getting 2020 RGL -- What should I know?