Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has added the lower fairing to there bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007 | 03:03 PM
BirchwhiteHD
|
Road Master
Default Who has added the lower fairing to there bikes

I'm looking for more comfort riding the interstate, who has added the lower fairing to their bikes,I know there is a vented one available for my bike color matched as well,anyone give me a heads up on how it improved your ride? wind buffeting coming up from under the tank? protection in the rain? pro's and cons guys. I headed out yesterday morning about 6:30 am for a pack of smokes,seems i must have needed to ride after all the rain lately,arrived home at 11pm same night,579 miles later and my knee's are sore from the wind pulling my legs away from the tank(got off to refuel every 150 miles and for meals),yes im one of those lazy guys who cant sit straight up with my legs sitting flat on both boards,i like to lean back on the back rest,place my feet out on the edge of the front half of the boards and go,problem is this ,the wind catches my legs and feet . Im looking to cut down on some of the wind coming by my legs and feet when traveling the interstate @70+ mph

thanks

Old 07-22-2007 | 03:22 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Default RE: Who has added the lower fairing to there bikes

Lowers would definately helpwith that problem. The do decrease the wind on your legs as well as your motor, so it gets somewhat warmer with them on. Some of the members take them off in the summer and on when it gets colder to lengthen the riding season. I got my bike in the begining of June without the lowers, rode it for about 1000 miles and then had the lowers installed (along with a bunch of other stuff I had ordered when I reserved the bike). I now have around 3200 miles and I am very happy with them. It is a warm ride when the temps get up around 80 or better, but not enough to bother me though.

Old 07-22-2007 | 03:30 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

love em, 60 to 75 degrees open vents all the way, first week of june(temps start to go over 75 her) takem off til september.

Old 07-22-2007 | 03:40 PM
SeaHag
Road Master

On my FLHT I got by with the soft chap lowers that snap/buckle onto the engine guards and above 70* the motor would get pretty hot.

This past week I got a new 2005 road glide which has the hard fairing lowers on and I must say I'm impressed with how well they do the job and especially how much less heat there is coming off the engine than I expected there to be. Yesterday, I rode 200 miles in 80-85* temps and it wasn't uncomfortable riding that way at all. I'm guessing that it has to do with the shape of the lowers directing air in towards the motor for cooling as well as around the riders legs.

Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter and I will ride some more with them on then...give you some more feedback after riding in 90+ heat.

Old 07-22-2007 | 03:42 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior

I had an Electra Glide (no lowers) for several years and traded for an Ultra Classic.I had the same problem you did on long rides on the EGlide, my inner thigh muscles burned after an all day ride trying to fight the wind. After getting the Ultra, I didn't care for the way the lowers looked at first and figured I'd just take them off. After a few all day rides and the first time riding in the rain I realized just howfunctional they were. I took mine off last summer when it got very hot and remembered how much more wind comes up to your torso without the lowers and found myself wanting something in between. I now only take the plastic vent doors off in the summer when it gets very hot. That way I still have the functional lowers but get a lot more air flow to my legs.

I know the lowers are pricy, but if you do a lot of interstate riding and plan to keep the bike a while, I think they're worth it. I've also gotten used to the way they look.

Old 07-22-2007 | 03:47 PM
HogBack
Road Master

My past:On my very first bike as a kid, I could not afford a helmet for a month or so after I bought the bike....I would put a pair of levis over my head and look out the button fly, and would wrap a pair around each leg...that was my first "lowers" to help keep warm..... As far as lowers, I had an FLHTC and live and ride in 15 degree weather (without electric gear). I bought some non-vented and primered lowers, painted and mounted them. Really did well, but also had an old 85 Wing that was my winter commute bike that was much warmer... if fact it was warmer on the bike and riding than it was standing in 15 degree weather. On my current Road King I have a pair of vinyl lowers I keep in my bags. On my past Sportser I had made a pair of homemade leather lowers that fit over the crashbar.... all help in the cold to break the wind....

Old 07-22-2007 | 04:28 PM
swipter
Tourer

I added them. I added the vented ones from HD. Got them from zanottis. I am in Texas where it is hot and I have not noticed a difference in heat with or without them. What I have noticed is an increase in comfort.

Old 07-22-2007 | 04:29 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master

I added some to my RG back in April just before leaving on a cross country trip and rode in all kinds of weather from cold, rain,excessive heat and I would say they are one of the bestthings I have added to the bike. Like others have said there is a little more heat with them on, but as long as you're rolling it's not too bad.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4934/1F763D5C17C840DBB312BA16D03CEA14.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-22-2007 | 04:47 PM
BirchwhiteHD
|
Road Master

Thanks for all your replies,sounds like they will cure some of my problems and i'll probally get used to the look of them after the first ride with some additional comfort ,priced them out through Zanotti's $ 522.00 shipped to my door ($127.00 cheaper than the dealers as well),color matched Birch White to match my bike and vented. not too bad of a price i think. I've bought most of my
add-ons through zanotti's and have always been pleased with price and service from them.

Thanks !

Old 07-23-2007 | 03:56 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

Birch, do you have highway pegs? I ask this because on my bike, I use them all the time, and the wind at my legs have never been a problem, at all. Just a, less expensive, thought.

Quick Reply: Who has added the lower fairing to there bikes