Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Light Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:52 PM
0204665J
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Light Fuse

Guys, Need your help.

Ihave a 2006 Street Glide. A funny thing happened yesterday. While my bike was on my lift I turn on my ignition to check my lights. Everthing looked good. I turned on my bright lightsand my bulb to appeared to have gone out. SoI ran down to Autozone and picked up a new one of equal watts. I put it on and still no light. I check the 15A fuse and noticed it was blown and put in the the spare 15A fuse. The light then turned back on with the new bulb. But when I turned on thebrightsagain, another fuse blew out. This has never happen before. The only other electrical unit I have is my fairly Garmin GPS unit which I am at least pretty sure I have run the brights with before on (I have it hooked to my cigarette lighter). I do not drive alot at night so I am not quite sure if I have. Can you guys give me some ideas and advise on what to try next?

Old 07-22-2007, 02:19 PM
vegashd
Banned
Default RE: Blown Light Fuse

I am willing to bet your wires are pinched under you left switch housing or clutch perch. Common problem and my bro in laws was 100% bone stock when his started doing it.....

Old 07-22-2007, 02:24 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

I agree. Start at the switch pod and work your way to the lamp.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Gapper
Stage I

My 07 FLTR blew the headlamp fuse when the bike was just one week old. I noticedboth headlamps were outwhen at the dealer. First, they replaced the fuse - it blew as soon as I hit the hi-beam switch. Then they LOOKED into it and said they found a short in the wiring near the switch. It worked for a few days then it blew when I was riding at night on a curvy road - not good! In my garage, I took the switch apart and found nothing wrong. I tried to get new fuse to blow but it wouldn't blow no matter what I did.While I hadan ammeter hooked upI discovered that the high beams draw 9 amps and the low draws 8.5 amps. the ammeter would sometimes read 12 to 14 amps while switching between high and low. My belief is that for justthe moment the switch was going from one to the other,both beams were on and for that instant, more than 15 amps was flowing, causing the fuse to blow. I'm interested to see how many others have seen similar.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:10 PM
0204665J
Tourer

Thanks, Not sure what has happen. I did have it back to the dealer several weeks ago to fix a handlebar problem I was having on some work they had performed earlier. Not sure If I have even tried by Hi - beam since then. I was concerned the problem I checked and I am still under warranty until 8/11/07. I will call the dealer and and take it downto have them look it over.

As another note I thought I would mention to everyone to check their spare fuse holder and make sure they have enough good fuses with them. Usually only one or two are provided with the bike. It is always good to fill up the rack because when you have a problem you may blew a couple of fuses trying to find out the problem.

Anything else I should have them look for since this may be my last warranty visit. I had them check my motor mounts last time and they found a broken one and they replaced it.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:55 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, ah'd extend the warranty - but that's up ta you.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:12 AM
Greb
Advanced

I had the same problem, they pinched your wire under the left switch housing more than likely. It is easy to do, that is the main reason I went to an internally wired bar. It is just too hard to fit that wire bundle in that small groove under the stock bar. I was upset with myself when I did it, but now that I am hearing a Harley tech did it I feel somewhat better.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:28 PM
0204665J
Tourer

Well guys here the deal. I took it back to the dealership today. They were very good about getting me in as they had a huge line of bikes and tooktheir look (Ray Price Harley). When the tech came back after the review I was surprised what cause the problem. The check under the switch housing as you guys pointed out found nothing, although they indicated it is a common problem. They looked under the fairing and found the problem. Both the brackets in the fairing were broken and one of them rubbed against the wiring harness and caused a short. It is not always obvious to the eye as the brackets broke but remained flush as a unit. They also uncovered a couple of other wires that had problems(radio and turn signal. They put in a temporry fix until the brackets come in this week-end. I cannot beleive both my brackets were completely cracked. I don't know how many have problems with this, but I cannot understand how both could go like this. I do not ride that hard and the bike is only 2 years old. I wonder how many others are having issues with their brackets. PS: They offered me an additional 4 years warranty for $1850 and a 3 year PerferredCustomerat $2950 which includes all maintainance (2500 miles intervals, replaced tires, brakes etc), bascially anything that impact you driving the bike. What do you think?