Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Touring Modle for the buck

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 02:39 PM
FLWanderer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Touring Modle for the buck

Okay....I just traded my 2004 Electra Glide Classic, which is a great touring bike for 2 up. I could
use the audio features and cruise on it....a must. The only thing was the wife could not hear the radio/
CD...front speakers only, so I had no problem. Our 20th anniversary is the 25th and she said go get
a new bike. I figured there was more to this than meets the eye. So figured better not hesitate at this
point....pickup 2007 Electra Glide Ultra Classic tomorrow (Black Pearl)..her color choice. I told her
needed Black...its faster!!!! Besides we both like Pirates of the Caribbean...and the pirate ship was the
"Black Pearl".

Anyhow.....she should be able to hear the audio and when she wants to talk with me she can. Not sure
abt the last part....but, who cares.....she's being really great to me. I must be doing something right.

Get the ULTRA.....you and she will love it......

Old 07-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO for single person riding most of the time, the EG Classic.
For 2-up riding most of the time get the Ultra Classic.

That's what works for me. As mentioned, I'd also suggest you test drive all the ones you're interested in...

Old 07-22-2007, 03:34 PM
chriscalabro
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Gold Wing

Or Road Glide

Old 07-22-2007, 04:09 PM
DanTMan
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never ridden a Road Glide- hope to rent one for a day soon. Been riding for 43+ years, on my fourth EG. Three Classics and one Ultra- I took the lowers off the day I brought it home. Just my personal opinion, but I found them too hot and I didn't like the way I felt using the road pegs. I never used the intercom- if I want to talk to my wife I'll lean back and holler, and the rear speakers I found too distracting, although they sounded great.

I've had cruise installed on all three of my Classics- love it, and I usually put some extra lights on the back, such as the license plate light kit or the LED bar on the Tour Pak (can't have too much light in the back).

If you're really trying to save some $$- look at the EG Standard and see what a Tour Pak and a radio/CD would cost you.

Good luck with your choice, and ride careful.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:51 PM
unclekunkle
Tourer

Roadglide equipped with an Electraglide seat and a tour pack...makes for good "roadglidin"

Old 07-22-2007, 07:05 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Ultra!! I have never taken the lowers off mine, and with being gone 8 months last year We managed to put 16k miles on in 14 months. Wife loves it...... She picked it out....Black Cherry/ Black Pearl......BUT!! I got the last word in.....YES DEAR!!!!

Old 07-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Murfstew
6th Gear

I'm kinda suprised nobody mentioned the E.G. Standard. Seems like a good deal to me. If it's going to do double duty, I would think a Road King might be a good choice. It's what I ride.
It depends on a lot of things. I use mine as my daily driver in the summer. 250 miles a week back and forth to work and usually a weekend trip, We take one long vacation trip a year, usually 5k or so. The R.K. is perfect for me. I run a Corbin seat and throw a sheepskin on for long trips. I also added cruise control and a detachable tour pac.
Still the E.G. Standard looks like the bargain of the bunch but I don't need tunes and such. If I was to do it again I'd either go E.G. Standard or maybe a Road Glide. alot depends on what you like. Good luck.

Later, Murf

Old 07-23-2007, 01:13 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I own a rk custom, and love it. Found out today, the wife needs a better seat. I had rented a bunch of bikes before I got the king. And, at the time, Eaglerider would give the entire cost of the rental credited in on a new bike. Just a thought. Not even sure if they still do that, but renting before you buy is the right way to go.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:15 AM
tanq
Cruiser

I would have to say that the EG Classic is the best bang for the buck if you're looking for an outright touring rig. For dual purpose (daily commuter and touring), go against the grain and get yourself the one and only Roadglide-

Old 07-23-2007, 07:38 AM
flht69
Cruiser

If money (payment) is an issue do what I did. Get the electra Glide Standard. You can take your time and add every thing you want down the road. It comes already wired to add cruse control, radio or what ever. You can turn it into a Classic or Ultra. It's all up to you.

Quick Reply: Best Touring Modle for the buck