Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

passenger suing me.over accident

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 05:22 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: passenger suing me.over accident

That's why I'm not gonna ride passengers in my sidecar. Even if they sign a release form.

Hack

Old 07-23-2007, 07:09 AM
tizone
Tourer

ORIGINAL: HogBack

ORIGINAL: Uncle Peepers

As a former lawyer myself, I will tell you that any lawyer worth his salt will sue everyone he can think of; that's just the nature of the job. Since your insurance company has deep pockets, and most pedestrians don't carry idiot insurance, you were it. Nothing personal. Sadly, it's just life in the United States.
Uncle Peepers

Nothing personal either: I do not doubt what you have said.... so please post a picture ASAP so I can avoid being within any area you and your type ride....
Wow man... thats pretty harsh... I'm not a big fan of how bad the USA has gotten in terms of lawsuits. Especially when you look at these cases involving $100 million suit against a dry cleaners, crack dealers suing the cops for injuries incurred during arrest, etc. It's bullcrap.

However, when it comes to serious personal injury accidents, don't make it out to seem like lawyers are all lower than whale crap. You just might find yourself needing one someday. When I almost lost my leg in a motorcycle accident several years ago my medical bill totalled upwards of $500,000 and my portion of those bills (deductibles) were around $50K.

The nice man "who just didn't see me" and admitted fault at the scene changed his tune after speaking with his insurance company and they refused to pay any of my costs as they believed that I was 5mph over the speed limit and was contributory to the accident. If I didn't have the help of a lawyer I would have been bent over and screwed hard. After 3 years he got a judgement for me requiring the other guys insurance company to pony up.

2 things ya hear a lot...

Lawyers suck... (until you need one)
We need more jails! (just not near my neighborhood)

Sorry to rant. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but that last post seemed like a pretty nasty personal attack.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:30 AM
beemer737
Tourer

Baddady, glad your doing better.

Bikergirl40, a deer running out in front of you is actually considered an act of God. But you better hit it as I found out once, by swerving and missing it, any follow on damage is was all my fault, If I had tagged the deer, I would not have been at fault. Funny how Geico uses those damn squirrels running in the road and then they laugh as the car swerves to avoid. Guess what, it's the drivers fault. if I see two squirrels, thier pancakes...

A thought from a reasonable man, if you try to avoid an accident, which results in injury, legally your not at fault, you where trying to avoid a bigger mishap.Your insurance company will site you as having an at fault accident however for rating purposes. Therefore, a passenger does in fact share the burden as a willing participant, she knows the dangers of riding, as long as she is 18. Unless a fault can be found such as excess speed, unsafe bikeor recklessness, her case has no merit.

Good luck,
Oh, whats the name of the "motorcycle" lawyer???

Old 07-23-2007, 01:27 PM
baddaddy
2nd Gear

actually i was kinda loaded when i wrote this
so my typing may suck... i think most of ya got the idea
guess the lawyer is after every one and well

I wouldnt sue the guy that took me for a ride

she let her lawyer do it

and yea i knew her a while

and some good idea s in there about

her fat *** doing the wrong thing ill remember that

so yea, doing better riding a dam bicycle for therapy

hard to shift ,, so glad i got a heel shifter on my glide

thanks for letting me vent and.. keep every one on there

toes about passengers... sober now... til happy hour...

tequila is better than percocets in my book !

Old 07-25-2007, 11:25 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: beemer737

Bikergirl40, a deer running out in front of you is actually considered an act of God. But you better hit it as I found out once, by swerving and missing it, any follow on damage is was all my fault, If I had tagged the deer, I would not have been at fault. Funny how Geico uses those damn squirrels running in the road and then they laugh as the car swerves to avoid. Guess what, it's the drivers fault. if I see two squirrels, thier pancakes...
I neverknew that a deer running in front of you was consideredan "act ofGod". I always thought an act of God was stuff like a lightening strike, or a tree falling on your car, hail damage. If that description applies to a wild animal like a Deer, then it would probably apply to all critters (Dogs, squirrels, etc). Wouldn't you still need collision coverage whether you hit an animal or the ditch?

Whether ornot you are at fault or not, if you swerveto miss an critter and have an unpset and ultimately a claim, you havewhat is called in Insurance lingo...an occurance. Enough for them to spikeyour rates for a while. Jerks!

Old 07-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: bikergirl40

ORIGINAL: beemer737

I neverknew that a deer running in front of you was consideredan "act ofGod". I always thought an act of God was stuff like a lightening strike, or a tree falling on your car, hail damage. If that description applies to a wild animal like a Deer, then it would probably apply to all critters (Dogs, squirrels, etc). Wouldn't you still need collision coverage whether you hit an animal or the ditch?

Whether ornot you are at fault or not, if you swerveto miss an critter and have an unpset and ultimately a claim, you havewhat is called in Insurance lingo...an occurance. Enough for them to spikeyour rates for a while. Jerks!

I had an experience in the cage once where something fell off a semi I was following and I ran over it, tearing up a tire, brakelines and doing some body damage. Insurance asked me exactly what I saw, and I said that "it was something metallic because I could see sparks when it bounced." She then revealed that as long as it was moving when I hit it, it was considered an accident. If it had been something just lying in the road, it would have been my fault for not avoiding it. I learned a good lesson about insurance (I will never hit a stationary object) and about following semis too close.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:04 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Duke3838

Let the insurance company handle it, thats why i pay for it. Whoever was on there must not have been much of a friend. Its natural to look after your best interests, i am sure they only want the cost of medical bills to be covered right? yeah right! They probably saw the add inA/I with the big name moto lawdogs and punched a few buttons and got the cash cash cash fever. sorry to hear about this, i hope it works out.
But the bottom line is everyone is alive, thats all that really matters.
Read the fine print most bike policys cap passenger injury at 1k, and thats only if you pay extra. A lot of full coverage policys have no payouts for passengers at all. Only thing that might help is that you countersue the 16yr olds parents for her causing the wreck.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:16 PM
PA SILVERBACK
Tourer

ORIGINAL: baddaddy

actually i was kinda loaded when i wrote this
so my typing may suck... i think most of ya got the idea
guess the lawyer is after every one and well

I wouldnt sue the guy that took me for a ride

she let her lawyer do it

and yea i knew her a while

and some good idea s in there about

her fat *** doing the wrong thing ill remember that

so yea, doing better riding a dam bicycle for therapy

hard to shift ,, so glad i got a heel shifter on my glide

thanks for letting me vent and.. keep every one on there

toes about passengers... sober now... til happy hour...

tequila is better than percocets in my book !
Were Ya loaded when You Wrecked,Too [8D]

Old 07-25-2007, 12:16 PM
mikes300
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Was the pasenger wearing a helmet?

Mike

Old 07-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Todd T
Tourer

ORIGINAL: dawg

Someone you knew real well, or just someone you gave a ride to? Sounds typical to me....passengers in accidents sue the driver in a lot of crashes. If you want to hear something messed up, here's a scenario for ya that is going on right now in my town.....older couple that had been married for several years get into an accident because he ran a stop sign and got sideswiped, both he and her die. The kids are suing his estate on behalf of her estate to collect $1million wrongful death insurance money.
Another one: that St Louis Cardinals (baseball) player that got killed; his estate is suing the tow truck driver, bar owner and car owner for thier hotshot baseball playing son getting drunked upand killing himself in an accident that was his fault. Withilegal drugs in his possesion and a beer in his lap he (without ever applying his brakes) rear-ended theback end of a car that was broke down while a rollback with all kinds of bright flashing lights on was trying to winch it on. there is even highway camera video of the whole thing.

so now the tow truck driver, bar owner and car owner have to pay for some A-hole baseball player who had more money than sense.

Quick Reply: passenger suing me.over accident