Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does my 98 ultra Classic have Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 09:50 PM
Ryan Bacon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does my 98 ultra Classic have Cruise Control?

So first off let me begin with saying that this is my first Harley ever and I’m completely new to all of this.

So as the title states I have a 98 ultra classic and I’m not sure if it has cruise control. I have the cruise control toggle switch on the dash, I have the cruise control switches on the handlebars, and there’s even the little light that never illuminates in the speedometer. Obviously I’ve never been able to get it to work since I bought the bike a couple of months ago. When I flip my toggle switch on the dash it lights up but that’s about it. I tried looking for the cruise control module but I have no idea where it's at on my bike or if I even have one. Can anyone please point me in the right direction I’m completely lost right now. Thank You

Old 04-14-2020, 08:04 AM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,127 Likes on 1,337 Posts

Sounds like you have it, but it just doesn’t work, not surprised due to the age of the bike, check google or YouTube

Old 04-14-2020, 08:10 AM
DeputyDawg
Cruiser
Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Old 04-14-2020, 08:18 AM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I had a 98 ultra once and it did have cruz. I really don't remember but I think the cruz modual was located on the left side just under the fuse block. When you turn the cruz rocker switch on a little wheel of sorts shows up in the lower left side of the tack gauge. On the throttle side of the handle bars the switch with set and res +- on it, slide it to the right. After your going at least 30 + MPH when you slide that switch the little wheel in the tack will turn green. This shows that the cruz is working and in gauged. If the process does not work in that sequence you may have a bad cruz modual or some one removed it already. There may also be a fuse for the cruz, check that also. Also on the 98 ultra the speedo is mechanical, there is a geared speed sensor on the left side of the front wheel.If the speedo cable is broke or that sensor is stripped out the cruz will not work.I know this for fact cuz my speedo cable broke on a trip and I had to ride 600 + miles with no cruz control, very frustrating.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:55 PM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 934 Likes on 437 Posts

You definitely have it; I have a '94 Ultra Classic and it has it. I'll go out in the garage and see if I can find any more info for you.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:10 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,440 Likes on 2,773 Posts

You have cruise. The toggle on the dash turns it on. Then at speed, one of the handle bar controls activates the actual Cruise Control. You have to push 2 buttons to get it turned on. Then you should have accelerate and decelerate capability. Pulling in clutch, touching either brake or turning off the toggle on the dash should turn it off. Not sure about your year, but some of them do not function below +/- 35 MPH. So you need to get on the highway to test her out. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:17 PM
I Like Pie
Tourer
Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

My on/off light in the speedometer dial is very dim. Often I have to move my head to a different angle to me sure it is on.

Old 04-14-2020, 02:34 PM
hawkgt
Stage III

Make sure your front brake lever isn't activating the brake light switch, my cruise wasn't working last week and after checking the levers I figured out why, needed to rebuild the master cylinder, spring wasn't pushing the plunger back far enough to return the lever to turn off the brake light, gunk built up and was sticky.

Old 04-14-2020, 03:06 PM
Ryan Bacon
6th Gear

So I've definitely have been using goggle and YouTube as much as I can. With that being said so far I've checked my taillight to make sure it's not constantly on. My speedometer works so I don’t think it’s not receiving the signal. And even wile on the road going over 30-35mph I tried to engage it just in case the bulb is blown out on the dash and still nothing. I checked the fuse and it was good. I tried the whole Cruise Control Initialization, Diagnostics and Codes sequins and the light on the dash never came on for me. So I’m really starting to lean towards the fact that the module doesn’t work or it doesn’t exist. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was removed that’s why I’m trying to figure out where it’s stock location is.

Old 04-14-2020, 03:15 PM
hawkgt
Stage III

Control module should be behind the left side panel, left side of the bike under the seat by your left calf.

Quick Reply: Does my 98 ultra Classic have Cruise Control?