Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HK Advanced Radio question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 01:30 AM
bigbean78
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HK Advanced Radio question

I have an 07 EGC...The HK system is supposedly MP3 CD capable. I've tried making an MP3 disc twice and when I put it into the stereo, the radio reads "CD ROM" and it stays on the radio. Am I making the CD wrong or something? I used Sonic burn program and Windows Media Player to make the data disc.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:20 AM
texasmail1962
Advanced
Default RE: HK Advanced Radio question

I would put the cd you just made back in the computer and see if it will play it. If it does, click on cd properties, make sure it is mp3 format.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:34 AM
SIM
Outstanding HDF Member

I have not tried making a cd yet. On my list of things to do. I have read if you are trying to upgrade the firmware on your radio that you have to write the disc at 8x. I have no idea if the same is true for music but it may be worth a shot. I am on vacation now, but when I get home I plan on burning some tune. Will let you know what happens.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:34 AM
serverpimp
Cruiser

I struggled with this. Burning the MP3s from the computer was my problem so it was a case of finding a software package that I could make work for me. I downloaded Express Burn off of tucows.com. tucows.com is a respectable download site that I have used for years. They catorgorize the software as freeware, software, trial, etc. Express Burn is free although you can 'upgrade' for a fee. It does not timeout or limit you to some small number of files/songs per CD. It burned the MP3s just fine. I got well over 100 songs on one CD. Your milage will vary.

This link should take you there http://www.tucows.com/preview/384908

Old 07-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to be careful using Windows Media Player, if you are importing your music with it. By default it will import the music in the Windows WMA format and not MP3. iTunes is the same way, the default is AAC format. You need to make sure you are burning MP3 and not another format.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:36 AM
serverpimp
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Phrogman

You have to be careful using Windows Media Player, if you are importing your music with it. By default it will import the music in the Windows WMA format and not MP3. iTunes is the same way, the default is AAC format. You need to make sure you are burning MP3 and not another format.
Good points and the main reason I struggled gettting MP3s burnt. First of all if you are downloading from iTunes it will not deliver MP3s to your computer. They are in a special file format to avoid being copied and passed out for free.

If you have CDs (or borrow one from a friend )you can use a rippng software (Express Burn has afree ripping package)to pull them off the CD to your computer in MP3 format. Then essentially you can dump practically a dozen CDs onto 1 CD that contains the songs in a MP3 format. If you have downloaded songs using Napster (old days) or any of the many P2P file sharing tools out there (like edonkey, morpheus) then the songs will already be in MP3 format.

Another helpful hint is be very careful 'importing' your MP3 files to iTunes as it will want to convert them (as mentioned by Phrogman). Once you do that you probablyhosed them as the MP3file formatis gone. I believe you can avoid this in iTunes but it's a risk if you don't know what you are doing. I have a external hard drive that I keep all of my MP3 files. If I get a new computer or do a fresh install I copy them over on to the C:\ of the system and point iTunes at it to molest the files as it sees fit. It takes a long time to rip Audio CDs so this avoids having to do it over and over.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:48 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I missed this in this thread but when you burn the cd you need toburn it as a data file, not an audio file to make the mp3 cd. I have burned mine with Windows media player with no problem

Old 07-23-2007, 12:57 AM
Drelkor
Cruiser

Also make certain that you close the session on the CD when you burn it as well. Most CD writers use a process call "multisession" which allows you to write to a write once disc more than once to add more data. Closing the session will basically write the disc out so that no more data can be written to it after your original burn is completed. A lot of non-computer CD players don't like discs that aren't closed out or that have multiple burning sessions on them. Since CDs are so cheap these days, I don't ever use the multisession feature anyhow and always close my discs out. Never had any MP3 capable CD player refuse to play one this way. Hope that helps.

Drel