Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Street Glide won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 12:34 PM
Fozy490
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Street Glide won’t start

I have a 09 street glide. Battery is good, cranks fine, not getting spark, and the fuel pump isn’t kicking on. I hot wired the fuel pump fuse directly to the positive battery terminal and the fuel pump runs. All the fuses are all good. Swapped the matching relays around and still nothing. Any suggestions?

Old 03-31-2020, 06:04 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,238 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Try unplugging the fuel disconnect under the tank on the left and then plugging it back in.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:30 PM
Mark_FLHTCU
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After jumping the fuel pump, while cranking, are the injectors firing?

If both injectors and spark plugs are not firing, look to a common cause....failed Crank Position Sensor (or unplugged CPS), failed ECM (any stored codes?).

Failure to run the fuel pump at key up AND no spark still lead me to a common cause. The fuel pump will prime even if CPS has failed. Fuel pump relay responds to a signal from the ECM. The coil responds to signals from the ECM. Are they getting signals?

Easy stuff first. Check fuses with a VOM, not visually. Look for damaged wires and loose connectors. See if devices (coil and fuel pump relay) are getting signals from the ECM.

The following users liked this post:
Dieselss (04-02-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 06:41 PM
Fozy490
4th Gear

When jumping the fuel pump and cranking at the same time I still don’t get spark. Fuses have been visually inspected. I have a tester to test the individual fuse connections I’ll try that after work. I swapped the relays around and that didn’t work. I’m guessing the ECM fried. I did check all of the wires I could get to. Bike ran fine in the fall. Not sure what caused all of this.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:36 AM
The Nev
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fozy490
When jumping the fuel pump and cranking at the same time I still don’t get spark. Fuses have been visually inspected. I have a tester to test the individual fuse connections I’ll try that after work. I swapped the relays around and that didn’t work. I’m guessing the ECM fried. I did check all of the wires I could get to. Bike ran fine in the fall. Not sure what caused all of this.

I had an 09 street glide that did the same thing. What I found on mine was the throttle grip had backed off only about 1/8 in but that was enough to keep it from starting. Try giving the throttle grip a good thump driving it back on the handle bar, sounds crazy but it worked for mine.. I then ended up pulling the whole thing, putting it back and tightening everything back up and had no more problems.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:13 AM
Fozy490
4th Gear

Just got done testing all fuses and their ports. my tester lights up fine. But I did replace the fuel pump, ecm, battery, and ignition fuses just to be safe. Still nothing. I messed with the throttle grip and still nothing. However I did not take it apart. bumped it good a few times to see if i could knock it lose. Seems to twist fine with normal resistance, and snaps back when you twist and let go. I just found out that when I have the ignition on, lights all come on, but when I go to squeeze the brake lever, the brake light doesn't get brighter. And the bulb is fine. So obviously I have an electrical issue. Battery sat on the charger all night. Charged fine. No issues there.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:45 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Have to ask. What did you do to it beforehand? Just walk up and sty to start it? Ran fine last time and now it fails? Didn't do any projects or anything?

Old 04-02-2020, 04:56 PM
Fozy490
4th Gear

It’s not my bike. I run a 15 street bob. I barrow my buddies 09 street glide for my longer trips. He bout it used two years ago. As far as I can tell, the previous owner put in a thundermax, and Rinehart slip ons. I used it last May for a ride to Illinois from PA and had no issues. He rode it a few times the following fall and again in January on a random nice day. No issues at all. I go to pick it up to do the oil and general service for my upcoming Illinois run, turn the ignition to ride it to the tailer and nothing. No fuel or spark. Everything lights up. Radio works. Security system works.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:07 PM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

What is the battery voltage, with the lights on after 1 min?

Old 04-02-2020, 05:09 PM
Fozy490
4th Gear

At work now, I’ll check later. But the battery is only a few years old. And fully charged.

Quick Reply: 09 Street Glide won’t start