Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay & PackTalk Bold

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020 | 12:20 AM
solouncapitano
Intermediate

Unfortunately latest digital technician sw does not have anymore the three Carplay options listed above.
Basically now there is only Whim enabled/disabled; latest firmware (20.21.17.00) also has something that prevent carplay showing up if there isn't a mic plugged in.

This is frustating ......

Old 06-19-2020 | 07:46 AM
DWKen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by solouncapitano
Unfortunately latest digital technician sw does not have anymore the three Carplay options listed above.
Basically now there is only Whim enabled/disabled; latest firmware (20.21.17.00) also has something that prevent carplay showing up if there isn't a mic plugged in.

This is frustating ......
That would be a step backwards.
It's my understanding that the mic off option was created so CarPlay WOULD show up without a mic being plugged in.
Can anyone confirm this?

Old 06-19-2020 | 01:31 PM
solouncapitano
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DWKen
That would be a step backwards.
It's my understanding that the mic off option was created so CarPlay WOULD show up without a mic being plugged in.
Can anyone confirm this?
Dealer said me that, maybe, this latest release has been made to prevent the trick to use carplay without buying WHIM....
IMHO that's nonsense strategy....

Old 06-19-2020 | 01:54 PM
solouncapitano
Intermediate

Reading on HD site about Boombox GTS requirements:*Android Auto is currently available through a software update for existing Boom Box GTS units and will be a standard function on all 2021-model Harley-Davidson Touring, CVO™ and Trike motorcycles equipped with the Boom! Box GTS system. A wired connection to a compatible Android smartphone required. Google Assistant is not available in certain languages and countries. Google, Android, Google Play, Android Auto and other marks are trademarks of Google LLC.

**To enable Apple CarPlay®, your motorcycle must be equipped with an optional wired or wireless H-D® Genuine Motor Parts and Accessories headset and an iPhone® 5 or later.

Why Android does not require optional wired/wireless H-D part ?
Why H-D force instead the use for Apple?

Old 06-19-2020 | 03:38 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

There's something amiss with the information you're getting.
Here's what I understand (for whatever its worth):
At first, a microphone was required for Harley CarPlay to work. It could be either a wired headset or Bluetooth via WHIM.

That didn't work so well. Users that bought the new motorcycles with CarPlay had it, but couldn't use it at all. So Harley created the "Mic Off" option so if neither wired or bluetooth microphone existed, CarPlay would still come up. You just couldn't TALK to CarPlay. But all the screen functions worked without a microphone.

NOW, that's what I was told and it may not be true. But that has also been my experience. Since I don't have a !Boom wireless headset, the dealer turned my mic option OFF. CarPlay works. I just can't use voice commands.

Regarding Android, yes. If you want the Android version of CarPlay, an Android smart phone must be plugged into the USB connector . . . just like is required if you have an iPhone for Apple CarPlay. Either version (Carplay or the Android equivalent) must have the right smartphone plugged into the USB connector.
Carplay is simply a projection of your iPhone onto the BoomBox screen. In fact, there is even a BoomBox option "Projection" On or Off. I think it has to be ON.

The wired or USB mic options simply alloy you to use voice commands in CarPlay.

I just installed a Ford Sync3 radio in my Lariat truck. It has CarPlay. But for CarPlay to come up, I must plug my smart phone into the USB jack. If it's not plugged in or has bad connection, no CarPlay.

Dealer said me that, maybe, this latest release has been made to prevent the trick to use carplay without buying WHIM....
IMHO that's nonsense strategy....
Reading on HD site about Boombox GTS requirements:*Android Auto is currently available through a software update for existing Boom Box GTS units and will be a standard function on all 2021-model Harley-Davidson Touring, CVO™ and Trike motorcycles equipped with the Boom! Box GTS system. A wired connection to a compatible Android smartphone required. Google Assistant is not available in certain languages and countries. Google, Android, Google Play, Android Auto and other marks are trademarks of Google LLC.

**To enable Apple CarPlay®, your motorcycle must be equipped with an optional wired or wireless H-D® Genuine Motor Parts and Accessories headset and an iPhone® 5 or later.

Why Android does not require optional wired/wireless H-D part ?
Why H-D force instead the use for Apple?

Old 06-20-2020 | 06:58 AM
solouncapitano
Intermediate

That didn't work so well. Users that bought the new motorcycles with CarPlay had it, but couldn't use it at all. So Harley created the "Mic Off" option so if neither wired or bluetooth microphone existed, CarPlay would still come up. You just couldn't TALK to CarPlay. But all the screen functions worked without a microphone.

NOW, that's what I was told and it may not be true. But that has also been my experience. Since I don't have a !Boom wireless headset, the dealer turned my mic option OFF. CarPlay works. I just can't use voice commands.
The problem is that now the option "Mic Off" is not anymore available at all !
Basically it's whim enabled or whim disabled (I saw it directly on dealer notebook..)

Would be interesting if you could check with your dealer as well.

Old 06-20-2020 | 08:47 AM
DWKen
Cruiser

The problem is that now the option "Mic Off" is not anymore available at all !
Basically it's whim enabled or whim disabled (I saw it directly on dealer notebook..)

Would be interesting if you could check with your dealer as well.
I will try to check.
It may be that your dealer is used an old Digital Technician version. Maybe someone else here can help confirm.

Ken

Old 06-20-2020 | 09:41 AM
solouncapitano
Intermediate

One question, after reading all this thread I'm little bit confused.

Will the following configuration work for Carplay ?
- WHIM
- Cardo Headset (I've already have two and I won't buy another ones )
- iPhone

I do not care if headset won't be stereo; I need carplay and iPhone control from the command on the riser.

Last edited by solouncapitano; 06-20-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-20-2020 | 10:55 AM
DWKen
Cruiser

Well, do you care if you have bike-to-bike intercom?

With the WHIM:
You can connect to the WHIM with Cardo headset.
You'll have BoomBox audio but won't have Stereo, which is no problem for some.
You will have control of your iPhone from the BoomBox (if you plug the iPhone into the BoomBox USB connector.
But you will not have bike-to-bike communication. The WHIM looks like a phone to the Cardo and is given highest priority. Thus, no Bluetooth or DMC bike-to-bike intercom.
You should have CarPlay if the dealer sets the options up right for you. But not sure about voice control of CarPlay from the Cardo through the WHIM.

I've disconnected my WHIM and use the Sena Freewire; which is really just an aftermarket WHIM that works.

One question, after reading all this thread I'm little bit confused.

Will the following configuration work for Carplay ?
- WHIM
- Cardo Headset (I've already have two and I won't buy another ones )
- iPhone

I do not care if headset won't be stereo; I need carplay and iPhone control from the command on the riser.

Last edited by DWKen; 06-20-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-20-2020 | 12:32 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

There's something amiss with the information you're getting.
Here's what I understand (for whatever its worth):
At first, a microphone was required for Harley CarPlay to work. It could be either a wired headset or Bluetooth via WHIM.

As you guys can tell, Ken and I have done extensive testing with CarPlay and the WHIM using the Packtalk Bold. Everything that @DWKen has said above is absolutely correct. What I have been hearing lately though, is that the Harley has updated Digital Technician to remove the 3 microphone options - one of which was the 'Mic Off' option. H-D claims that the reason they did this was because Apple filed a complaint with H-D saying this is a violation of the CarPlay user agreement, forcing H-D to remove this option.

You will have to find a dealership that has not updated Digital Technician and is running an older version of the software which still has the option available.

I do have a slightly different solution and experience which I will document in another post shortly.

Regarding Android, yes. If you want the Android version of CarPlay, an Android smart phone must be plugged into the USB connector . . . just like is required if you have an iPhone for Apple CarPlay. Either version (Carplay or the Android equivalent) must have the right smartphone plugged into the USB connector.
Carplay is simply a projection of your iPhone onto the BoomBox screen. In fact, there is even a BoomBox option "Projection" On or Off. I think it has to be ON.
Plugging in your iPhone via the USB connector in your media compartment is absolutely required for CarPlay to work. The 'Projection On' option must be turned on in the BoomBox GTS settings in order for CarPlay to work in any scenario.

Quick Reply: CarPlay & PackTalk Bold