Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay & PackTalk Bold

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2020 | 05:26 AM
solouncapitano
Intermediate
Question

Originally Posted by RiderX

You MUST CONNECT & POWER ON DEVICES IN THIS ORDER.
  1. Make sure you have no audio of any sort playing on the iPhone. In fact to be safe, close the Music app on the iPhone altogether.
  2. Plug the iPhone into the USB port of the bike.
  3. Power on the bike and wait a few seconds for the CarPlay icon to appear or until the GTS goes to the CarPlay Screen.
    1. If music starts playing, sometimes the bike remembers the status of CarPlay when it was last connected, pause it immediately, either on the CarPlay screen of the bike or the phone itself, unplug the phone from the USB port on the bike, shutdown the bike, and start from step 1 of this section again.
  4. Power on the PackTalk.
  5. Listen to the PackTalk speakers to hear the welcome message and the message that says your iPhone is connected.
  6. Wait about 10 seconds, at the most, for all of the connections to establish and settle down.
That's it. Use Siri or CarPlay to your heart's content. I strongly recommend getting a PackTalk Bold because it has 'Hey Siri' functionality built into the microphone without having to press any buttons on the headset. For example, if I want to make a call, I just say, "Hey Siri", wait for the Siri indicator on the GTS as well as the audio prompt, and then say things like "Call my wife", "Send a text to...", "get directions to", "read my last text", or anything you want Siri to do.

I also want to add that all incoming and outgoing phone calls work perfectly and audio routing goes to the PackTalk speakers 100% of the time for both.
Hi RiderX
first of all thank you indeed for your work; I did all the steps and it did work for all except the for the incoming call.
These calls are always routed to iphone...my configuration is slightly different, here it is:

Ultra Limited MY 2020
Boombox firmware latest version installed (MY21.20.17.00)
CardoSystem Freecom 4+, firmware version 3.6
Apple iPhone Xr iOS 13.5 with the following Call Audio route settings

And set to Bluetooth Headset

Any advise / help ?

Thanks!

Last edited by solouncapitano; 05-31-2020 at 05:28 AM.
Old 05-31-2020 | 01:10 PM
solouncapitano
Intermediate
Question

Originally Posted by RiderX

N O T E : This only works if you have had your dealer disable the Apple CarPlay microphone option.....

The only caveat to this setup, and I have not given up yet, is that if you say "Hey Siri, play Crazy B*tch by Buckcherry", it will play through your PackTalk speakers. I will only say, and I am sure you will not believe me and test for your self, there is no easy way without screwing up other functionality to get the audio to your bike's speakers. I digress. More to come on this topic in a future post.

I have Apple carplay enabled, I do not have WHIM, how to check if mic option is enabled or not ?
Second question the riderx's guide prevent to hear music from the bike's speakers ? Is that correct ?

Old 06-01-2020 | 12:48 PM
solouncapitano
Intermediate

UPDATE

Today I went to dealer asking him to disable mic, he was skeptical... (and now I'd have like to listen..) but he did it as per my request.

First re-boot Apple carplay was anymore available....panic.....
Then he set back the mic on, second re-boot, Apple carplay still not available.
He tried do load again the last firmware and re-flash; third reboot, same configuration as before the first reboot, no Apple carplay available.

He had the same problem (yesterday) on a StreetGlide. He think that HD could have released a software upgrade that intercept the Apple carplay hack and in some way prevent it.

Anyone with the same issue ?

In any case beware before do anything on working configuration....

Old 06-01-2020 | 01:11 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by solouncapitano
UPDATE

Today I went to dealer asking him to disable mic, he was skeptical... (and now I'd have like to listen..) but he did it as per my request.

He tried do load again the last firmware and re-flash; third reboot, same configuration as before the first reboot, no Apple carplay available.

He had the same problem (yesterday) on a StreetGlide. He think that HD could have released a software upgrade that intercept the Apple carplay hack and in some way prevent it.

The dealerships do seem to have problems making Carplay work!
Friend bought a brand new 2020 Limited. CarPlay wouldn't work. It took them several tries by several knoweledgable mechanics (using the Harley Digital Tech) to finally make it go. And I don't think they ever figured out how it finally worked.

As I understand it, there are three CarPlay microphone options:
1. Microphone OFF. This option was reportedly created so that CarPlay would not require a microphone plugged into the headset jack. That was not good. So they gave the option.
2. Microphone ON. This option requires that a wired headset be plugged into the headset jack.
3. Bluetooth Microphone: Via the WHIM.

Harley Davidson assumes that we'll fall into one of the categories consistently on every ride.
If we ride without out Harley Boom! headset helmet and the option for Bluetooth Microphone is turned ON, we're out of luck. No CarPlay. We'll need to go to the dealer to have them flash the radio for that ride by choosing Microphone OFF.

Then, if our next ride is on a trip and you're wearing your Harley Boom!-equipped headset, we'll need to go back to the dealer to have it flashed for THAT trip.
Or if we put on our helmet with a wired Harley headset, we'll need to get the radio flashed for having one of those in order for CarPlay to work.

I can understand the need to have the three options. CarPlay was intended to be voice control in your car. Harley adopted CarPlay (I'm glad they did). But we don't all have microphones. And when we do, we have different kinds (wired or Bluetooth).

The Microphone option should be user-selectable, just like the other options in the BoomBox. A trip (and fees $$$$) to the dealership should not be required.
OR, they can sell us a restricted version of the Digital Tech software that we can run on our own laptops.
But they won't.

Old 06-01-2020 | 01:47 PM
solouncapitano
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DWKen
The Microphone option should be user-selectable, just like the other options in the BoomBox. A trip (and fees $$$$) to the dealership should not be required.
OR, they can sell us a restricted version of the Digital Tech software that we can run on our own laptops.
But they won't.
I wonder why HD has choosen this way...I would buy WHIM to get bluetooth available everywhere in 99% car sold...but why block it down to connect only to sena device re-branded...

However as far as today there's no choice to go, or Sena freewire is still working ?
Also does the freewire connect to Cardo Freecom 4+ ?

Old 06-01-2020 | 03:42 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

I wonder why HD has choosen this way...I would buy WHIM to get bluetooth available everywhere in 99% car sold...but why block it down to connect only to sena device re-branded...

However as far as today there's no choice to go, or Sena freewire is still working ?
Also does the freewire connect to Cardo Freecom 4+ ?
I understand that Freewire connects to all Sena products.
I'm just happy that it also connects to Scala Packtalks.

See, Harley Davidson? It's not so hard.
Your business model of angering your prime demographic clientele needs to change. And it wouldn't cost you a single penny. Just be more customer-friendly.

Old 06-01-2020 | 05:00 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

Hi RiderX
first of all thank you indeed for your work; I did all the steps and it did work for all except the for the incoming call.
These calls are always routed to iphone...my configuration is slightly different, here it is:

Ultra Limited MY 2020
Boombox firmware latest version installed (MY21.20.17.00)
CardoSystem Freecom 4+, firmware version 3.6
Apple iPhone Xr iOS 13.5 with the following Call Audio route settings

And set to Bluetooth Headset

Any advise / help ?

Thanks!
My Call Audio Routing on my iPhone 11 Pro Max is also set to Bluetooth Headset and I do not have an issue with the call coming in on the PackTalk. You can try making sure that your iPhone is paired to the Freecom on Phone 1. Also, check the Cardo app to see if there are any settings within the app that may help with this issue. I would check for you but I am unable to connect my PackTalk to my iPhone at the moment.

Old 06-01-2020 | 05:06 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

I have Apple carplay enabled, I do not have WHIM, how to check if mic option is enabled or not ?
Second question the riderx's guide prevent to hear music from the bike's speakers ? Is that correct ?

If Apple CarPlay is already working, then there is nothing you need to do. I am not sure I understand your question.I believe your 2020 Ultra Limited comes with a 7 pin port for a wired headset installed. Typically, CarPlay would only work on your bike if you had the dealership disable the CarPlay microphone requirement. On your bike, CarPlay would be looking for a microphone plugged into the 7 pin wired headset port on your bike. If the microphone option was not already disabled, I am not sure how CarPlay would work. So, I assume the microphone requirement is already disabled.

Old 06-01-2020 | 05:11 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

UPDATE

As I mentioned in my previous comment, if CarPlay was already working, I am not sure why you ask the dealer to change anything. The only thing that others have reported in regards to the dealership being able to disable the microphone option, is some dealerships were telling customers that the option was unavailable to enable or disable with the newer version of Digital Technician. If your dealership was able to turn on and off this option, then there is nothing else preventing it from working.

One thing to keep in mind is if your iPhone is already plugged into your bike when you turn it on and if it is locked, the CarPlay option will not be available. There have been a couple of times that I have had to unplug my iPhone, unlock it, and then plug it back in.

Old 06-01-2020 | 05:20 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

The dealerships do seem to have problems making Carplay work!
Friend bought a brand new 2020 Limited. CarPlay wouldn't work. It took them several tries by several knoweledgable mechanics (using the Harley Digital Tech) to finally make it go. And I don't think they ever figured out how it finally worked.

As I understand it, there are three CarPlay microphone options:
1. Microphone OFF. This option was reportedly created so that CarPlay would not require a microphone plugged into the headset jack. That was not good. So they gave the option.
2. Microphone ON. This option requires that a wired headset be plugged into the headset jack.
3. Bluetooth Microphone: Via the WHIM.
These options are all correct and the descriptions you have listed for each are accurate. Option 1 is what you want if you are going to use a non H-D branded wireless headset.

Harley Davidson assumes that we'll fall into one of the categories consistently on every ride.
If we ride without out Harley Boom! headset helmet and the option for Bluetooth Microphone is turned ON, we're out of luck. No CarPlay. We'll need to go to the dealer to have them flash the radio for that ride by choosing Microphone OFF.

Then, if our next ride is on a trip and you're wearing your Harley Boom!-equipped headset, we'll need to go back to the dealer to have it flashed for THAT trip.
Or if we put on our helmet with a wired Harley headset, we'll need to get the radio flashed for having one of those in order for CarPlay to work.

I can understand the need to have the three options. CarPlay was intended to be voice control in your car. Harley adopted CarPlay (I'm glad they did). But we don't all have microphones. And when we do, we have different kinds (wired or Bluetooth).

But they won't.
I agree with you 100% that H-D could have and should have made this user selectable. There are a lot of things they could have done with the WHIM to make it more robust and fully functional with all wireless headsets. They could have designed the BoomBox units with wireless headset profiles built in so one would not even have to purchase a $250 WHIM. This has been a long term H-D strategy and is the very reason they are on their very last leg.

Quick Reply: CarPlay & PackTalk Bold