Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay & PackTalk Bold

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020 | 09:24 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

OK. tonight at motorcycle skills practice I tested the PackTalk with the WHIM and BoomBox as described above with one of my touring friends that also has PackTalk. The results were as I'd expected, actually.

When the PackTalk is paired and connected to the WHIM as Phone2 or as a GPS, the Phone2 function has a higher priority than intercom. So DMC intercom went away as soon as audio from the BoomBox was heard. To get DMC back, turn the motorcycle OFF and within about 30 seconds, DMC comes back.

This is the same age old problem: Scala sets the priorities and we cannot change them. Phone (either or both ports) has higher priority than all other PackTalk functions . . . so nothing else works. It doesn't matter what sequence devices are paired or connected, the result will always be the same.

You can do connection to the BoomBox via the WHIM . . . or you can have DMC. But you cannot have both. It is never going to work.

I hope FurryOne answers my questions about using a Sena headset with Freewire. Although I really didn't enjoy our Sena experience with the five of us all bought the 20S (and suffered through all the Sena problems for 3 years worth of trips), I would consider giving the new Sena 50 series another try if they will give us full BoomBox functions and Mesh at the same time.

Ken

Last edited by DWKen; 05-11-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2020 | 10:24 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by DWKen
OK. tonight at motorcycle skills practice I tested the PackTalk with the WHIM and BoomBox as described above with one of my touring friends that also has PackTalk. The results were as I'd expected, actually.

Thanks for providing an update so quickly. There is something that is unclear to me.

In your update you state the following.

When the PackTalk is paired and connected to the WHIM as Phone2 or as a GPS, the Phone2...
I am not sure what you mean you use the term 'Phone2'. Do you mean you are pairing to the WHIM on channel 2 of the PackTalk? You are probably aware but there is a difference between pairing to the WHIM on channel 2 of the PackTalk and pairing and pairing the WHIM as a GPS on the PackTalk; even the procedure is different.

In my previous testing, well over a year ago, I had tested the setup where my iPhone was paired to channel 1 and the WHIM was paired to the PackTalk as a GPS, not channel 2. The interesting thing in this scenario was I could communicate with my friends in mesh mode but the headset speaker volume was very low and nothing I did would raise it. Of course this was on a different bike that didn't have CarPlay.

Old 05-11-2020 | 11:28 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

OK. Channel 2. The 2nd A2DP input. The iPhone on Channel 1 and the WHIM on Channel 2, in the sequence of pairing and connecting that was prescribed in your post above.

And while I was at it, I went ahead and tried as a GPS device as well . . . just because it was there. It only takes a roll of the barrel to change from Phone to GPS pairing modes.

I don't know how it was possible for DMC to work for you when the WHIM was connected via Channel 1 or Channel 2 because as I understand it, either of those connected to phones or other devices takes priority over all other PackTalk functions. That pesky priority issue has been with us for years. Off topic, but back when my group members and I had Zumo GPS units paired to our Senas (as GPS units), every time the Zumo lady spoke, we lost communications with each other. This was really bad because we couldn't communicate about upcoming routing as long as the Zumo lady was speaking.

I seemed to have full BoomBox volume via the PackTalk headset. It could have blasted my ears if I didn't turn the BoomBox volume quite low using the left hand thumb control. I'd say the audio from the WHIM to the PackTalk to my ears had full volume range.

I don't know how CarPlay enters into the picture. It seems to be a function between the phone (plugged into the BoomBox cable) and the BoomBox. I tried with the iPhone plugged in and with it unplugged (CarPlay or no Carplay) No difference. The DMC didn't work either way when the PackTalk was connected to the WHIM. But when the motorcycle was turned OFF, DMC came back.

Ken

Originally Posted by RiderX
Thanks for providing an update so quickly. There is something that is unclear to me.

In your update you state the following.

I am not sure what you mean you use the term 'Phone2'. Do you mean you are pairing to the WHIM on channel 2 of the PackTalk? You are probably aware but there is a difference between pairing to the WHIM on channel 2 of the PackTalk and pairing and pairing the WHIM as a GPS on the PackTalk; even the procedure is different.

In my previous testing, well over a year ago, I had tested the setup where my iPhone was paired to channel 1 and the WHIM was paired to the PackTalk as a GPS, not channel 2. The interesting thing in this scenario was I could communicate with my friends in mesh mode but the headset speaker volume was very low and nothing I did would raise it. Of course this was on a different bike that didn't have CarPlay.

Old 05-13-2020 | 05:10 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master
Default Firmware update ! ! ! !

I just wanted to make a quick post about the new firmware update, version 5.6 for the PackTalk Bold. Below is a link to the update page in addition to a link for a video that explains the new firmware release.

PackTalk Bold Firmware 5.6

Old 05-13-2020 | 08:36 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

I don't know whether to start a new thread or tack this on the end of RiderX's. I may do both.
Here's the deal: We don't think either Packtalk or Sena will EVER allow bike to bike DMC, Mesh, or Bluetooth communication using the WHIM. The problem is the headset priorities. Both manufacturers give a telephone the higher priority over intercom. The WHIM looks like a phone to both of the manufacturer's headsets. So the headsets will never allow intercom if a WHIM is involved. I wish I'd never bought a WHIM. Should have bought a Sena Freewire, instead. Now, I have both!

Three of us, George, Mikey, and I, tested in every condition that we were likely to come up against when trying to get fully functioning operation of the Harley BoomBox, telephone, and bike-to-bike intercom. It took almost three hours using a pre-written test-procedure document to make sure we tested everything thoroughly and kept the results accurate for publication.

Here are the results:Test with Sena Freewire and two Sena 20S headsets, NO WHIM INSTALLED:

Goal: Test and confirm full operation with the Harley Davidson motorcycle GTS BoomBox using the Sena Freewire.

Setup: Motorcycle (2019 RoadGlide) with no WHIM installed

Freewire plugged into the headset jack on console

Primary Sena headset paired to Freewire Channel 1 pairing

Second Sena 20S headset paired to the primary for bike-to-bike intercom iPhone plugged into BoomBox USB cable (not Bluetooth paired)

Tests:

1. Stereo audio from the BoomBox to Sena Headset via Freewire?

The BoomBox stereo output is heard from the primary.

2. Phone calls via Freewire and BoomBox , send and receive?

Phone calls were initiated and answered via the BoomBox screen. Primary Sena could hear the other party and vice versa.

3. Intercom between Sena Headsets while connected to BoomBox via Freewire?

A Bluetooth intercom conversation between the Primary and second Sena headset worked properly. If music from the BoomBox was present and , Sena Headset Audio Multi-Tasking Enabled, it lower the music volume when intercom conversation was in progress and restore when conversation ended.

4. Voice Control of BoomBox and CarPlay?

Voice Control from the Sena headset via the Sena Freewire worked properly. (Siri Commands)

Conclusion: A Sena headset works properly through all functions when connected to a Harley BoomBox via a Freewire plugged into the Headset Jack on tank console. Since the 20S, 30R, and 50 series headsets all have the same function priorities, it is assumed that all of these Sena headsets will work likewise. The Harley WHIM will not do this.

Test with two Sena 20S headsets via Sena Freewire, WHIM INSTALLED:

Goal: Test and confirm operation with the Harley Davidson motorcycle GTS BoomBox using the Sena Freewire. (Whim disabled, programmed with Mic option OFF) .

Setup: Motorcycle (2019 Ultra Limited) with WHIM installed but disabled and Mic option Off

Primary Sena headset paired to Freewire Channel 1 pairing

Second Sena 20S headset paired to the primary for bike-to-bike intercom

iPhone plugged into BoomBox USB cable (not Bluetooth paired)

Tests:

1. Stereo audio from the BoomBox to Sena Headset via Freewire?

The BoomBox full stereo output is heard from the primary Sena headset.

2. Phone calls via Freewire and BoomBox, send and receive?

Phone calls were initiated and answered via the BoomBox screen. Primary Sena could hear the other party. HOWEVER, the other party could not hear the primary Sena user. This is probably due to the BoomBox programmed "Mic OFF". (see the Mic Off workaround)

3. Intercom between Sena Headsets while connected to BoomBox via Freewire?

A Bluetooth intercom conversation between the Primary and second Sena headset worked properly. If music from the BoomBox was present, Audio Multi-Tasking worked to lower the music volume when intercom conversation was in progress and restore when conversation ended.

Voice Control from the Sena headset via the Sena Freewire did not work, probably because the BoomBox mic option is turned OFF.

Conclusion: A Sena headset works properly through all functions when connected to a Harley BoomBox via a Sena Freewire plugged into the microphone socket. Since the 20S, 30R, and 50 series headsets all have the same function priorities, it is assumed that all of these Sena headsets will work likewise. A WHIM cannot do this.

Test with two PackTalk headsets and Sena Freewire, NO WHIM INSTALLED:

Goal: Test and confirm full operation with the Harley Davidson motorcycle GTS BoomBox that has never had a WHIM installed using the Scala Rider Packtalk.

Setup: Motorcycle (the same 2019 RoadGlide) with no WHIM installed

Primary PackTalk headset paired to Freewire Channel 1 pairing

Second PackTalk headset paired to the primary PackTalk for bike-to-bike intercom (we already had both Packtalk headsets DMC paired Prior to any other pairings.

Tests:

1. Stereo audio from the BoomBox to Primary PackTalk Headset via Freewire?

The BoomBox stereo output is heard from the primary PackTalk.

2. Phone calls from the PackTalk via Freewire and BoomBox , send and receive?

Phone calls were initiated and answered via the BoomBox screen. Primary PackTalk user could ear the other party and the other party could hear the Packtalk user.

3. Packtalk DMC intercom between PackTalk Headsets while connected to BoomBox via Freewire?

A DMC intercom conversation between the Primary and second PackTalk headsets worked properly. If music from the BoomBox was present, Audio Multi-Tasking worked to lower the music volume when intercom conversation was in progress and restore when conversation ended as desired.

4. Voice Control of the BoomBox from the Packtalk headset via the Sena Freewire
Voice control worked properly including voice dialing. (Siri Commands) Remember, no WHIM installed and Mic Off option was not programmed.

Conclusion: A PackTalk headset works properly through all functions when connected to a Harley BoomBox that has never had a WHIM installed via a Sena Freewire plugged into the microphone . A WHIM cannot do this.

Test with two PackTalk headsets via Sena Freewire, WHIM INSTALLED:

Goal: Test and confirm operation with the Harley Davidson motorcycle GTS BoomBox using the Sena Freewire. (Whim disabled, programmed with Mic option OFF) .

Setup: Motorcycle (2019 Ultra Limited) with WHIM installed but disabled and Mic option Off

Primary PackTalk headset paired to Freewire Channel 1 pairing

Second PackTalk headset paired to the primary PackTalk for bike-to-bike intercom

The PackTalk headsets were DMC paired Prior to any other pairings only because they were previously paired.

Tests:

1. Stereo audio from the BoomBox to the primary PackTalk Headset via Freewire?

The BoomBox full stereo output is heard from the primary Sena headset.

2. Phone calls via Freewire and BoomBox , send and receive?

Phone calls were initiated and answered via the BoomBox screen. Primary Sena could hear the other party. HOWEVER, the other party could not hear the primary Sena user. This is probably due to the BoomBox programmed "Mic OFF".

3. DMC Intercom between PackTalk Headsets while connected to BoomBox via Freewire?

A DMC Bluetooth intercom conversation between the Primary and second PackTalk headset worked properly. If music from the BoomBox was present, Audio Multi-Tasking worked to lower the music volume when intercom conversation was in progress and restore when conversation ended.

Voice Control from the Sena headset via the Sena Freewire did not work. This is probably because the BoomBox mic option is turned OFF on this motorcycle.

Conclusion: A Packtalk headset works properly through all functions when connected to a Harley BoomBox with the mic option turned OFF via a Sena Freewire plugged into the microphone socket except that the user's voice would not be transmitted to the BoomBox. (see work-around below)

Work-around for telephone operation on a WHIM-equipped motorcycle that has the mic option turned OFF:

When a dealership programs the BoomBox radio with a WHIM, it appears that the technician usually turns the mic option OFF. It seems to disable the motorcycle's wired microphone input under certain conditions whether the WHIM is disconnected or enabled.

The test motorcycle with a WHIM installed had the mic option turned off. This prevented voice commands and telephone voice being heard by the other party. But we discovered a work-around when testing a PackTalk headset! The work-around may also work with a Sena headset.

The phone is already connected to the BoomBox via the USB cable. This gives operational control between the two.

The phone is already connected to the Sena Freewire via Channel 1 pairing for audio.

To get audio from the PackTalk to the phone call recipient, pair the phone to the PackTalk Channel 2 airing. Remember, Channel 1 is already paired to the Sena Freewire.

If done this way, for a phone call, the phone audio works directly via the PackTalk headset connection. The phone can still be controlled via the BoomBox screen for initiating and receiving phone calls via the USB cable. But the audio is only via the phone Bluetooth connection to the headset.

We didn't try this same work-around with a Sena headset but it will probably work as well.

Now, for the motorcycle's CB operation: Although we couldn't test this, we believe that the user's audio WILL be sent to the BoomBox and CB radio is the Mic OFF option is not enabled. In other words, the Mic option should be left on. But like I say, we had no way of testing this since we didn't have a motorcycle with a WHIM and the Mic option turned ON. BUT, if you don't buy a WHIM, the microphone audio from the Sena or PackTalk units should go to the BoomBox and thus to the CB radio. I would not buy a WHIM. Just get a Sena Freewire, instead.

The following users liked this post:
devron55 (05-14-2020)
Old 05-13-2020 | 10:33 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

OK. Channel 2. The 2nd A2DP input. The iPhone on Channel 1 and the WHIM on Channel 2, in the sequence of pairing and connecting that was prescribed in your post above.

I don't know how it was possible for DMC to work for you when the WHIM was connected via Channel 1 or Channel 2 because as I understand it, either of those connected to phones or other devices takes priority over all other PackTalk functions. That pesky priority issue has been with us for years.
I understand you have concerns about whether or not it should or would work when the PackTalk is paired to the WHIM and the iPhone at the same time, but what were your results?

Are you running the latest version of the software on your BoomBox GTS? What about your WHIM?

Off topic, but back when my group members and I had Zumo GPS units paired to our Senas (as GPS units), every time the Zumo lady spoke, we lost communications with each other. This was really bad because we couldn't communicate about upcoming routing as long as the Zumo lady was speaking.
I never experienced this issue when I had my PackTalk Bold paired simultaneously to the WHIM as a GPS unit and to channel 1 for the iPhone. The only issue I had when running it this was not being able to hear my buddies loudly enough when communicating in mesh mode and maybe, I don't remember for sure since it was so long ago, issues with the BoomBox grabbing incoming phone calls from the PackTalk Bold.

I don't know how CarPlay enters into the picture. It seems to be a function between the phone (plugged into the BoomBox cable) and the BoomBox. I tried with the iPhone plugged in and with it unplugged (CarPlay or no Carplay) No difference. The DMC didn't work either way when the PackTalk was connected to the WHIM. But when the motorcycle was turned OFF, DMC came back.
This is exactly my experience as well.

Old 05-14-2020 | 08:26 AM
woodreaux
Road Captain

Ken,
That was a great report, very detailed and clearly required a lot work. Really helps me to decide the path to go on getting a wireless system for my 19 Ultra Classic with no WHIM installed. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2020 | 03:34 AM
RiderX
|
Road Master

There are a couple of important things to note related to DWKen's test.
  • If you are using an H-D branded Sena headset, then everything will work absolutely flawlessly
    • you will have stereo sound
    • the voice command button on the bike will work perfectly
    • you will be able to adjust the headset settings using the Settings option on your GTS radio
    • you will have fully functioning mesh communication with all of your riding friends
    • there is no need for any additional equipment or crazy power on sequences
    • no need to have the Service Department disable the Apple CarPlay microphone option using Digital Technician
  • If you follow the original post I wrote when I started this thread, there is no need for a Sena Freewire
    • you will not have access to the voice activation button on the bike but you will be able to use the 'Hey Siri' function of the PackTalk to activate all options such as...
      • making a phone call (during phone calls, intercom mode is automatically disabled so your riding buddies will not hear your conversation)
      • answering a phone call (during phone calls, having Siri intercom mode is automatically disabled so your riding buddies will not hear your conversation)
      • getting directions
      • sending a text (having Siri send or read texts, etc.., intercom mode is automatically disabled so your riding buddies will not hear your conversation)
      • reading an incoming text (having Siri send or read texts, etc.., intercom mode is automatically disabled so your riding buddies will not hear your conversation)
      • etc..
    • You will have full access to DMC / Mesh mode communication with your riding friends ( this and the use of CarPlay is the why I came up with the work around)
    • You will have to follow the power on process I outlined (you must turn off your PackTalk any time you turn off your bike during your ride to get gas, stop for lunch, etc..)
      • plug your iPhone into your bike
      • turn on your bike and wait a few seconds
      • power on your PackTalk

I am working with Cardo to test a setup that they recently told me should work with version 5.3 or newer of the firmware that was released in November 2019. According to what I was told, you should be able to pair your PackTalk to your iPhone on channel 1 and pair your PackTalk to the WHIM on channel 2. This should allow for full functionality, including communicating with your friends in DMC (mesh) mode - this has always been the biggest challenge. This is what DWKen has tested and has reported is not working. I would ask that anyone out there that has not had the Apple CarPlay microphone option disabled, test this out and report your results.

Before testing, make sure...
  1. your GTS system software is updated
  2. your PackTalk Bold firmware is updated ( a new version was just released a couple of days ago)
  3. your WHIM firmware is updated

I look forward to seeing your responses.

Last edited by RiderX; 05-15-2020 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-15-2020 | 08:00 AM
DWKen
Cruiser

RiderX, are you sure about this?

"If you are using an H-D branded Sena headset, then everything will work absolutely flawlessly"
"
you will have fully functioning mesh communication with all of your riding friends"

One of our group purchased TWO Harley-branded Sena 20S headsets when they came out so that he and his wife can go on HOG rides and communicate with others using CB.
When his Harley-branded headsets are connected to the WHIM, he loses bike-to-bike Bluetooth intercom.

He's been round and round with the Harley dealership about this, even to the point of taking the headsets to the dealership and demonstrating that intercom doesn't work when connected to the WHIM.

Harley Customer Support was also no help, either. After several phone calls back and forth about the subject, Support has gone silent.

In our test with the Freewire and the same Harley-branded Senas, everything DOES work, including Bluetooth intercom.

Ken

Old 05-15-2020 | 10:35 AM
RiderX
|
Road Master

RiderX, are you sure about this?

"If you are using an H-D branded Sena headset, then everything will work absolutely flawlessly"
"
you will have fully functioning mesh communication with all of your riding friends"

One of our group purchased TWO Harley-branded Sena 20S headsets when they came out so that he and his wife can go on HOG rides and communicate with others using CB.
When his Harley-branded headsets are connected to the WHIM, he loses bike-to-bike Bluetooth intercom.

He's been round and round with the Harley dealership about this, even to the point of taking the headsets to the dealership and demonstrating that intercom doesn't work when connected to the WHIM.

Harley Customer Support was also no help, either. After several phone calls back and forth about the subject, Support has gone silent.

In our test with the Freewire and the same Harley-branded Senas, everything DOES work, including Bluetooth intercom.

Ken
Yes, I am certain.

The Sena 20s does not offer mesh communication. This was not available until the Sena 30K. Mesh communication is now available with the 50s but there is not an H-D branded version of the 50s yet and one is unlikely to be available until February, 2021.

I have never paired a headset with another rider and then tried using it to communicate with other riders using a CB. I am not sure that would work at all.

Quick Reply: CarPlay & PackTalk Bold