Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay & PackTalk Bold

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020 | 08:51 AM
RiderX
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by GOV5
Thanks Rider. I hope one day I'll be able to understand all this stuff. I am not there yet. LOL
What can I clear up for you?

Old 05-07-2020 | 09:24 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Have to say thank you to @RiderX. I have a pair of Cardo PackTalk Bolds coming today and once I can finally get my bike into the dealership to disable the Carply microphone, I'll be following his steps.

My goals are Carplay on the GTS, and all music/phone functions in the helmet. And no WHIM.

Old 05-08-2020 | 08:32 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by RiderX
What can I clear up for you?
I appreciate the offer. At this time there is really nothing you can do for me. I have read so many threads and posts about using BT and Mesh and all the things users were trying to do with them. And I'm sitting here wondering why some, maybe most, of these things are really necessary, or even wanted. I don't see myself wanting to do any of those things really. So I am not going to even try. I guess it boils down to what someone wants and how they ride. Some of these folks seem to be trying to do too much with these headsets and Boom units, and that's where they have the problems.

And some folks are on-call workers too. For them, I can fully understand having to be full-time warriors in the digital world. If they are on the bike, and a customer or boss calls, they have to answer that call right now, not 15 minutes later when they pull off the road and fire up the cell phone. I also have no need for a 50 point stop list of places I want to stop on a trip or ride.
I think I'll just stick with my corded connection on my WHIMless Ultra. I already have enough devices I need to charge daily. I don't need another. LOL.

Old 05-08-2020 | 03:17 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GOV5

BTW, your Avatar is WAY COOL!!!!!!!!!!! Do you still have your forum? I use to visit it.
Sorry I missed this question.
Yes, www.rideskillfully.com still exists. Since Facebook took over the world, it hasn't been nearly as active; but it's still there along with all of the resources that come with it. Always welcome droppers-byers.

Ken

Old 05-08-2020 | 03:34 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

Typically when the Service Department installs the WHIM, they do not disable the microphone option. You have to ask them to do this. This literally takes less than 5 minutes and they should not charge you anything, let alone $75. You will know whether or not this is done if the CarPlay options appears on your BoomBox. If you follow my instructions, which clearly tells you not to pair your PackTalk to your BoomBox, you are completely bypassing the WHIM. If you then simply plug your iPhone in the USB port using the lightning cable, the CarPlay option should appear. If it does not appear, this means that the microphone option has not been disabled and you need to take it to the dealership to do this. If it does appear as soon as you plug in your iPhone, then the microphone option has already been disabled.

This is correct. Your PackTalk is being connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth and the phone is connected to the Boombox via the lightning cable.

This is absolutely correct and it will only work if the the PackTalk is the last device to connect to the iPhone. If you turn on your PackTalk first and then turn on your bike, your bike will be the last device to connect to the phone and none of this will work. So always, always, follow the proper connectivity order.
So I carefully followed your instructions again and it works. I can listen to my iPhone music. I can make phone calls (either using SIRI or from the BoomBox telephone function). And DMC works because the iPhone is not connected using a phone pairing (which would be at a higher priority than DMC).

But I cannot hear my BoomBox audio (which is routed to the Harley headset).
If I route to speakers, the BoomBox I hear all BoomBox audio. But routed to the headset . . . nada. (and this makes sense to me since BoomBox audio out probably isn't sent to the iPhone)

Have I missed something?

Old 05-08-2020 | 04:16 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

RiderX that is great information and you did a fantastic job of presenting it. Both informative and entertaining!

For me I have been reading all the Boom, WHIM, Freewire and headset stuff for a long while and it's both expensive and seems to cumbersome. For that reason we have gone a much simpler route.

Like you we now use Cardo Packtalk Bold. WOW far superior to Sena. I plan to sell some SENA stuff and some wired HD headsets in the near future. We enjoy listening to music throught the stereo speakers and when riding with our half helmets we bluetooth the phone and stream music and listen to XM. Very simple but you cannot use the phone. But you see incoming calls and if it's important you can stop and call back. When on longer rides, trips and when we need to communicate we wear our 3/4 and modular helmets with Cardo and we communicate, access the phone, stream music from the phone and enjoy the ride. Occasionally we'll still turn the radio on the bike and listen through the speakers but can still communicate use the phone, hear waze, etc through the headsets.

Call me simple but so much easier!

Old 05-08-2020 | 09:22 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
RiderX that is great information and you did a fantastic job of presenting it. Both informative and entertaining!

For me I have been reading all the Boom, WHIM, Freewire and headset stuff for a long while and it's both expensive and seems to cumbersome. For that reason we have gone a much simpler route.

Like you we now use Cardo Packtalk Bold. WOW far superior to Sena. I plan to sell some SENA stuff and some wired HD headsets in the near future. We enjoy listening to music throught the stereo speakers and when riding with our half helmets we bluetooth the phone and stream music and listen to XM. Very simple but you cannot use the phone. But you see incoming calls and if it's important you can stop and call back. When on longer rides, trips and when we need to communicate we wear our 3/4 and modular helmets with Cardo and we communicate, access the phone, stream music from the phone and enjoy the ride. Occasionally we'll still turn the radio on the bike and listen through the speakers but can still communicate use the phone, hear waze, etc through the headsets.

Call me simple but so much easier!

That's awesome! I am glad you found a system that works for you! You haven't exactly explained how you are connecting things though. Are you guys using mesh mode for communicating or just Bluetooth?

Stay tuned for a very important update though!

Old 05-08-2020 | 09:55 PM
RiderX
|
Road Master
Default Major update ! ! !

So, interestingly enough, my posts drew the attention of Cardo Tech Support. Someone reached out to me today and thanked me for helping them figure out a work around and mentioned that they have been pointing customers to my post here at the forums. As if that wasn't cool enough...

The technician told me that he would like to share some new information about getting this all to work. I will share it with you now but need someone's help - I'll come back to this. He said my work inspired them to do a little research on their end as well. With the updates to the functionality of CarPlay and the Cardo firmware which dropped in November of 2019, there is finally a way to get all of this working with the WHIM without any loss of functionality or the implementation of any odd work arounds. Please allow me to say that again.
THERE IS FINALLY A WAY TO GET ALL OF THIS WORKING WITH THE WHIM WITHOUT ANY LOSS OF FUNCTIONALITY
I know! I know, this cannot be possible! Oh you naysayers! After about 5 perfectly good tools hurling the air, a lot of cursing, and another inch added to my already receding hair line, there is a solution. I must warn you that this solution has not been tested by me but I am sure anxious to do so. Therein lies my problem. I need someone who has not had the CarPlay microphone option disabled to help me test this. If you have a PackTalk Bold, a WHIM installed on your 2019 or newer touring bike with a GTS radio, a little patience, and some extra time, shoot me a PM and lets get started!

Ok, already, it's coming! I will not bore you with the technical details of why it now works but I have been assured it does. Here are the easy steps.
  • Pair your PackTalk Bold to the WHIM (if you need detailed instructions on how to do this, let me know.)
  • Pair your PackTalk Bold to your iPhone
  • Turn on your motorcycle
  • Plug in your iPhone

That's it! Can it get much simpler guys and girls? It used to be an absolute no-no to pair your PackTalk Bold to both the WHIM and your iPhone at the same time. It was explained to me that because of the recent changes now made to CarPlay it is necessary to pair your PackTalk Bold to both devices.

"Come on, can it really be that easy?", you ask. Well, yes...but... There is one small caveat. I promise, it is small. Remember a recent post I made to this thread reminding everyone that they should make sure to power off the PackTalk Bold any time they powered off the bike, like when stopping for gas? This was because the PackTalk had to be the last device to connect to the iPhone. That is kind of reversed now.
  • Any time you turn off your bike, you MUST unplug your iPhone from the lightning connector.
  • Only AFTER STARTING THE BIKE, should you plug it back in.

Not too bad right? The only bad news is, if you already followed my advice and had the dealership disable the CarPlay microphone option, you must go back to them, hat in hand, and ask them kindly to turn that option back on. I would not suggest having them enable the microphone option just yet. I would suggest waiting until others on this wonderful forum can provide some feedback and let us know if it indeed works as it should. However, if you have not already had the dealership disable the CarPlay microphone option, you can give this a shot and let us all know how it goes. I am anxious to see all of the feedback.

I would still like to work with someone specifically so I can document each step in great detail. This will allow me document any issues if they occur, when they occur, and what was done to attempt to resolve it. Again, if you are interested in helping me out, please shoot me a PM.

I truly hope this puts an end to all of the craziness caused really by Harley. I could go on and on as to why it is their fault but I digress. Why are you still here, get to testing!

The following users liked this post:
devildog_cbr (04-01-2022)
Old 05-08-2020 | 10:08 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

REALLY???

This could be fabulous news.

I have three friends (we travel together on long motorcycle camping trips) that have 19's or 20's and PackTalks and WHIM's. I don't know if their mics are disabled or not. But I'll pass the word tonight with a copy of your post.
And of course, I have mine (but I think the mic is disabled based on the fact that CarPlay comes up soon after the iPhone is plugged into the USB cable). But the others may not be like that.
We've all spent dozens of hours with our PackTalks and Harleys. I think we can be of help.

Ken

So, interestingly enough, my posts drew the attention of Cardo Tech Support. Someone reached out to me today and thanked me for helping them figure out a work around and mentioned that they have been pointing customers to my post here at the forums. As if that wasn't cool enough...

The technician told me that he would like to share some new information about getting this all to work. I will share it with you now but need someone's help - I'll come back to this. He said my work inspired them to do a little research on their end as well. With the updates to the functionality of CarPlay and the Cardo firmware which dropped in November of 2019, there is finally a way to get all of this working with the WHIM without any loss of functionality or the implementation of any odd work arounds. Please allow me to say that again.
THERE IS FINALLY A WAY TO GET ALL OF THIS WORKING WITH THE WHIM WITHOUT ANY LOSS OF FUNCTIONALITY
I know! I know, this cannot be possible! Oh you naysayers! After about 5 perfectly good tools hurling the air, a lot of cursing, and another inch added to my already receding hair line, there is a solution. I must warn you that this solution has not been tested by me but I am sure anxious to do so. Therein lies my problem. I need someone who has not had the CarPlay microphone option disabled to help me test this. If you have a PackTalk Bold, a WHIM installed on your 2019 or newer touring bike with a GTS radio, a little patience, and some extra time, shoot me a PM and lets get started!

Ok, already, it's coming! I will not bore you with the technical details of why it now works but I have been assured it does. Here are the easy steps.
  • Pair your PackTalk Bold to the WHIM (if you need detailed instructions on how to do this, let me know.)
  • Pair your PackTalk Bold to your iPhone
  • Turn on your motorcycle
  • Plug in your iPhone

That's it! Can it get much simpler guys and girls? It used to be an absolute no-no to pair your PackTalk Bold to both the WHIM and your iPhone at the same time. It was explained to me that because of the recent changes now made to CarPlay it is necessary to pair your PackTalk Bold to both devices.

"Come on, can it really be that easy?", you ask. Well, yes...but... There is one small caveat. I promise, it is small. Remember a recent post I made to this thread reminding everyone that they should make sure to power off the PackTalk Bold any time they powered off the bike, like when stopping for gas? This was because the PackTalk had to be the last device to connect to the iPhone. That is kind of reversed now.
  • Any time you turn off your bike, you MUST unplug your iPhone from the lightning connector.
  • Only AFTER STARTING THE BIKE, should you plug it back in.

Not too bad right? The only bad news is, if you already followed my advice and had the dealership disable the CarPlay microphone option, you must go back to them, hat in hand, and ask them kindly to turn that option back on. I would not suggest having them enable the microphone option just yet. I would suggest waiting until others on this wonderful forum can provide some feedback and let us know if it indeed works as it should. However, if you have not already had the dealership disable the CarPlay microphone option, you can give this a shot and let us all know how it goes. I am anxious to see all of the feedback.

I would still like to work with someone specifically so I can document each step in great detail. This will allow me document any issues if they occur, when they occur, and what was done to attempt to resolve it. Again, if you are interested in helping me out, please shoot me a PM.

I truly hope this puts an end to all of the craziness caused really by Harley. I could go on and on as to why it is their fault but I digress. Why are you still here, get to testing!

Old 05-09-2020 | 01:18 PM
DWKen
Cruiser

I want to add that my friends and I live within 10 miles of the Scala tech support office I've visited them often. The father of my daughter's life-long friend is the Marketing VP of Scala Rider. Maybe we can get something done here. I'm willing to invest the time if it will solve this.

I didn't know there were changes to CarPlay. Not exactly sure how CarPlay changes get into the mix (of PackTalk to Whim and retain DMC). When my PackTalk is connected to the WHIM (via either Phone1 or Phone2), the active phone port has a higher PackTalk priority than intercom and blanks it out.

Ken

Quick Reply: CarPlay & PackTalk Bold